Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credits "claimed"? Please help !

Options
  • 18-05-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I have a question that's probably really basic or stupid, so sorry in advance, it must be obvious but I haven't found the answer.

I'm trying to figure out how the tax credits online system (PAYE anytime) works exactly.

Couple of months ago I have created my account, completed my profile, and claimed tax credits.
    In my window they appear as "claimed".

Now my question is when and how will I see the money? Do they send you your money on your bank account? I don't think I have received anything from them so far. If not, how do you actually get this money?

Sorry again for the probably lame question and thanks for your help

Marc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

The tax credits you claimed (I'm assuming that you claimed them for 2011) will reduce the tax on your salary (if you are an employee) or reduce your annual tax bill if you are self-employed.
    Your employer should have received a notice of your 2011 tax credits and used the values within that notice to calculate your net pay. That's how you get the value of the credits- the greater the credits, the greater your net pay each month.

You could check with the employer if the total credits per his/her records tally with the value shown on your PAYE Anytime profile; if not, ask the tax office for a copy of your tax credits certificate to be sent to you and your employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marc37

Hey,

Thanks for your answer.
    The thing is, I've just left my job and I will be moving soon to Canada.

Does this mean I will loose these tax credits?

Any chance to get the money anyway?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

If you are emigrating, you should send your P45 to your tax office with a note saying that you are intending to emigrate and ask for a review of any possible refund. They will review your situation and - while it might take some time, I've no experience of this situation- will then calculate any refund that is due to you. You might want to give them bank details so that the refund can be paid directly.

Basically, if you have actually had some tax deducted in the period since January to when you left your job you should be able to get it back (assuming that you still have some annual credits unused).

You might also be able to get back some of the Universal Social Charge- you should ask them about that as you might have overpaid for 2011 (depending on your monthly income and possession/ non-possession of a medical card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marc37

Thanks again for your help.

In fact, I have claimed my tax credits from 2008 to 2011 at once, couple of months ago. I must have benefited from part of these in the previous 1 or 2 months in my salary. But as it's quite a lot of money, I guess there is more money that, as you pointed out, I could try to get by going to my tax office.

Regarding universal social charge, I just know my company gave me a medical insurance. I will probably ask them as well.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

CREDITS are CREDITED against TAX.

No TAX no CREDIT.

i.e if you were not employed ya get no "refund" of the credits.

when you log onto PAYE anytime you get the credits put through your salary as your employer gets notice of the credits and applies then- any unrelieved credits are set off against your employment tax at the end of the year if you request a balancing statement- if you are leaving with the intention of being non resident half way through the year you can apply for S 822 to apply which means Revenue will take the unused credits from the rest of the year and set them off against any tax paid giving a refund where applicable.

The above is in relation to PAYE.

USC suffered- you may as well forget it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement