Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Balbriggan Farmers Market

Options
  • 18-05-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

A note was handed out at the station recently. I'm pretty sure most won't have seen it so I'm reproducing it here.

Balbriggan Fish & Farmers' Market
    Extra Market day from Thursday 19th May 10.30-6pm at New Location beside New AIB Bank Complex

Existing Market continues every Friday from 9am -2pm at George's Square, Balbriggan.

Full range of Fresh Local Produce
    Fish - Fruit - Veg - Organic Veg - Home Baking
    Selection of Cheeses - Irish Honey - Juice
    Free Range & Organic Eggs
    Handmade Chocolates - Homemade Tarts
    Pates - Jams - Soups
    Curries - Chutneys - Pickles - Meats
    Juices - Stuffed Olives - Fresh Pesto
    Hummus - Tapenades - Roasted Peppers
    Organic Milk - Yoghurt & Drinks
    Cut Flowers & Potted Plants - Local Arts & Crafts
    Ask for details on our Box Scheme

Community Stall available for a small fee for any of our customers who may wish to sell surplus produce from their kitchen garden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Thanks for posting that Eoineo.
    Without wishing to knock the people running this, it's beyond me how Thursday can be used as the second day instead of Saturday. A lot of people I know have mentioned they they would love to frequent it, but working outside the town prevents it. A half day on s Saturday should at least be tried, rather than a full day thurs.

That aside as a regular Friday dropper-by, I hope the market long continues. Its a huge addition to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I couldn't agree more Jim. Saturday makes far more sense. Still extending the market can only be a good thing so I hope it goes well for them. Also a regular on Fridays. Thursdays will be a bit too far for me unless I have transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I think a lot of the stall holders already have a spot at other markets and would need to attend regularly or loose their spot.
    I love it too, glad its going the extra day and hope it continues.
    Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

Great to see the market expanding like this, hopefully this is a success.
    It makes sense from the point of view of being close to a proven customer base. I would imagine the move of AIB away from the square had a great impact on sales. There is ample parking at their new location too which is a bonus. I wouldn't be surprised if they trialled a Saturday market before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Oooh, I might fly down today for a look.
    I might be able to pick up a salady dinner for tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I may have a partial answer to the Thurs Vs Sat Farmers Market query. I just remembered that the Dublin Meath Growers are committed to another couple of markets on Saturdays. As many who go regularly will know they are at the heart of the Fish & Farmers Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I was up there today. Much better spot for the Market IMO. A few mire stalls wouldn't go astray just to make it look better. Got some lovely bread and cakes, plus delucious looking strawberries. Yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The extra times and hours are good to see for this market. It must be worth their while to do it, that's for sure. A little success story, I suppose.

Has anyone been down there today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 foodiemu

Two Markets in Balbriggan this weekend on the square
    The Friday one is from 9am to 2pm.
    The Saturday( 2nd July) is from 10 to 4pm check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I believe they have the mobile farm coming along on the Saturday.
    The Market really needs community support if its to continue.Just wondering why people dont use it more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

cathy01 wrote: »
    I believe they have the mobile farm coming along on the Saturday.
    The Market really needs community support if its to continue.Just wondering why people dont use it more?

I can say that I don't use it because I work outside balbriggan so I'm gone until 6 every weekday evening. I will definitely drop down on Saturday and would use a market if it was there saturdays or sundays (or even 6-9 thurs eve). I know I'm not the only commuter in the town, just a shame that as we now have 2 markets one of them couldn't cater for the many that work outside BB :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 foodiemu

Yss I got one of them as well!

I guess someone was listening!

Did you know that there is a Mkt + ARTS & Crafts on Saturday 2nd July from 10 am to 4pm on the square.
    Thanks for the info.

Advertisement