Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Broadband?

• 18-05-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Hi. Moving into an estate soon and want to get the UPC package. Thinking of 50mb.
    Will I be sharing the 50mb with others or will it just be for my own use?

zak.

EDIT : Just read that the UPC contention ratio is 17:1.
    Does that mean I'll be sharing with 17 others, hence my broadband will only be at approx 3mb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

It will be for your own use. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Well it will be your 50MB connection and that will be the max you could possibly achieve on it... But the connection will be shared for up to 16 other people, you won't specifically get 3MB

If 16 people on the same package and are streaming HD tv then it will be a little slower than 4 people browsing the internet at 3am on a Wednesday morning for e.g... 50MB is much more than enough to be really worrying about speeds unless ur total download speed-freak kinda guy, even if you are it would be pretty great and far better than the vast majority of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

The contention ratio does not mean 50mb shared among 17 people.

It is related to allotted time segments on the router in the exchange.

So you will get a min of 17th of the time of the router. You may actually get alot more of the bandwidth depending on what the router is doing.

Many times you will get the full speed even if other people are using the router too.

It is only at peek periods should you see any reduction in speeds and even then it should never get down to 3mb to the router in the exchange.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

All broadband services are fundamentally shared and unless you are paying more then €10000 per month, no one gets truly uncontended bb.

Having said that, you should get 50Mb/s the majority of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ok, thanks guys for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Contention Vs Congestion. Congestion is a bad thing, contention is not. People mix the two up, and so contention gets a bad name.

Advertisement