Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad -V- Kindle

Options
  • 18-05-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I know the title is a bit misleading, basically im just looking for an e-reader. I know the ipad is much more then that but my main question is which device has a bigger user base for books? Im more interested in books for things like business and investing and what not. But dont know which is better to go with.

Do both devices have there own format that they read or can you read pdf on both perfectly?

Comments

kindle is cheaper, lighter, battery life of one month but not colour and not good for pdfs with tables and/or diagrams. If your books have lots of tables and diagrams better off going for the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

steve_ wrote: »
    I know the title is a bit misleading, basically im just looking for an e-reader. I know the ipad is much more then that but my main question is which device has a bigger user base for books? Im more interested in books for things like business and investing and what not. But dont know which is better to go with.

Do both devices have there own format that they read or can you read pdf on both perfectly?

PDF works perfectly on both, you can get as many books on iPad 2 as the Kindle because there is a kindle app', if you want a e-reader, the iPad is a waste of money.

PDF works perfectly on both, you can get as many books on iPad 2 as the Kindle because there is a kindle app', if you want a e-reader, the iPad is a waste of money.

pdfs are not perfect on the kindle - unless you convert them to mobi you will have to zoom in constantly to read part of a page which takes ages to read. if it's text only you can convert using calibre with great results. however converting docs with diagrams and tables just doesn't work - they end up on the wrong pages and are hard to view. I have a kindle 3 myself.

ipad is definitely the way to go for pdfs with diagrams and tables and / or where colour is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here's a reason to get a Kindle: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283040

I know Apple wont replace an iPad if you drop it.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Here's a reason to get a Kindle: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283040

I know Apple wont replace an iPad if you drop it.

but that's not what the OP asked.... I have a kindle and think that it's great but in this case (PDFs with tables and diagrams) the iPad is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I tried using Kindle on my iPad while travelling recently, and it's just not a proper eReader. Technically it can show the content, but I found it a strain on the eyes. Even at it's lowest level, I found it too bright, not to mention the glare and reflection on the screen. I much prefer my Sony PRS-505.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

If there's alot of diagrams etc, wouldn't it make more sense for the OP to source a Kindle DX.. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ Larger screen would be better for books with complex diagrams etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Eoin wrote: »
    I tried using Kindle on my iPad while travelling recently, and it's just not a proper eReader. Technically it can show the content, but I found it a strain on the eyes. Even at it's lowest level, I found it too bright,

The kindle app on ipad has a great little setting where you can invert colours, so text is white while the background is black, makes reading on it a whole lot easier. Of course I agree with you though, the kindle app/any ebook app on an ipad will not make it into a great ereader. If reading books is the main aim then it's gotta be a proper ereader, like the Kindle itself.

yes the kindle is a great e-reader for kindle specific books. but most business and investing books are still pdfs and have lots of tables and diagrams - for that purpose - which is what the OP was asking about the Ipad is better. I'm not sure how the kindle dx is for pdf's like that but it's bad value tbh - not worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭WEST

Why not just get the Nook Colour? It's cheaper than the Ipad:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

• Advertisement

WEST wrote: »
    Why not just get the Nook Colour? It's cheaper than the Ipad:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

true but doesn't seem to be as good - mainly due to screen size (still too small on nook)

ipad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moWkPRbhL3U

nook colour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsABIu-DVNo&feature=related

and in fairness you can do a lot more on an ipad.
    I don't like apple products generally but for this specific use ipad is a clear winner.

for general purpose reading kindle 3 or new monochrome nook (has epub over kindle) are the best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I know the title is a bit misleading, basically im just looking for an e-reader.

Then probably Kindle is for you.

Im more interested in books for things like business and investing and what not.
    read pdf perfectly?

ipad
    I know the title is a bit misleading, basically im just looking for an e-reader. which device has a bigger user base for books

kindle

===

get both then :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The OP could really do with chiming in here :P I don't think anyone is really clear on what exactly he is in search of.

I'm particularly not sure whether the OP is looking for a device for use in a business environment, or if he is looking to invest in the ebook market, or if he just wants to read businessy books on either a kindle or ipad and is trying to figure out which is better for his needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I used to own a Kindle (2) and miss it, currently have an iPad, 1st gen.

They're really 2 completely different things. The iPad rules for reading PDFs: the colour screen, quickly swiping to the page you need, retrieving material directly from the internet or from Dropbox, where I keep most of my technical documentation. I have it on my desk beside my computer when I need to review reference documents and for that it really shines (besides all the other stuff it is good at such as websurfing, emailing, chatting, etc).

However, I really miss my Kindle for reading novels while relaxing on the couch. The iPad is simply too heavy to hold like a book for a longer time, so I always need to have a pillow or something and prop it up on that. I also don't like the gloss of the screen for serious reading. This is where the Kindle really comes into its own.

However for PDFs I found the Kindle useless. The text (for A4-sized PDFs, which are most common) is shown too small to read easily and panning/zooming is tedious with the slow refresh rate of the screen. You can enlarge it a bit by displaying it sideways so you have more horizontal screen space, but then you can only see half a page and will be constantly page-turning.

I sold my Kindle 2 (previous generation), because I thought the screen had too little contrast to read comfortably at night. It was really dark grey on light grey instead of black on white. It was worse than a cheap paperback novel.

But the Kindle 3 has improved the contrast a bit (30% I think) and they now sell a nice cover with light for it that wasn't available for the '2'. It's also got improved fonts with tweaked edges so they stand out more, so it should be OK. I'm still considering to buy one again but it is a serious expense having already bought an iPad. That's probably why you're asking this too.

But when I look at the last 6 months I can honestly say I've been reading a lot less novels so I'm considering buying one again.

So my advice comes down to this: Neither device is perfect for both tasks.

For reading PDFs: iPad (or maybe another tablet though I have no experience with those)
    For reading Novels: Kindle

For both: Take both devices if you can afford it, otherwise the iPad is probably the only option that will do both.

Edit: As Jimmycrackcorm said, the PDF display issue I mentioned doesn't apply to the Kindle DX - I had a normal Kindle, I've no experience with the DX. So if the OP is considering buying a Kindle DX, my comments about the screen being too small for PDFs obviously don't apply. When writing the above I even forgot the DX existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got a kindle DX specifically because I wanted to read technical PDFs. As it has a 9.7 inch screen it is ideal for nearly all PDFs. I considered getting a tablet but the battery life and readability in sunlight make a huge difference while I can also use my phone for browsing and the other activities that a tablet would be used for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Another vote here for the Kindle DX, it's a cracking piece of kit.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Another vote here for the Kindle DX, it's a cracking piece of kit.

costs 3 times the cost of a kindle 3 tho - a bit much I would have thought.... depends on how much reading and how much of it outdoors you plan on doing really - would have thought that an ipad (with all the other functionality thrown in) made sense particularly if a device is being used as a pdf reference rather than reading all of the text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

glasso wrote: »
    costs 3 times the cost of a kindle 3 tho - a bit much I would have thought.... depends on how much reading and how much of it outdoors you plan on doing really - would have thought that an ipad (with all the other functionality thrown in) made sense particularly if a device is being used as a pdf reference rather than reading all of the text.

It's pricey alright but I found the regular Kindle too much of a compromise for reading books and .PDF files. The DX is the same size as a large book and you really wouldn't want anything smaller for reading .pdf files, it's a perfect size IMHO. The op was primarily looking for an ereader, the iPad strains your eyes too much for that is is far too distracting with it's other features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

TheZohan: You're right about the distraction. When I read books on the iPad, I'm always tempted to check my email, or chat messages pop up and I answer them, then I visit my favorite websites or play a quick game and it I end up having done hardly any reading at all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 AhomeforBUSTER

My dad has a kindle DX that he doesn't use and barely used. My sister is hankering after an ipad. If anyone is willing to condsider a swap, it would make two people very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

The iPad is not an ebook the same way a PC or a netbook are not ebooks. Yes its very portable, but for reading books you need an eInk device to prevent eye strain associated with glare and backlighting.

The iPad is not an ebook the same way a PC or a netbook are not ebooks. Yes its very portable, but for reading books you need an eInk device to prevent eye strain associated with glare and backlighting.

I agree but again OP (who has never responded) was also looking for a device that's good for technical (with tables and diagrams) pdfs. normal kindle 3 (which I have) is not good at all for that. ipad is better for that. sometimes you are only using an e-book reader for reference (occasional use) and an ipad would work fine for that use as opposed to reading a whole book...

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Sorry lads for not replying. I got a kindle in the end. And im glad i chose this device. The battery life is great, reading books is very comfortable and the screen is a joy to look at. It seems though that pdf's are hit or miss. The text is usually way to small and you can only zoom in on the whole document as opposed to just enlarging the text like you can on the .mobi formatted books. I hear you can reformat pdf's using calibre to another format such as .mobi but whether it improves the readability iv no idea. Ill test it out soon. I also like the feeling of being disconnected while using the kindle. I know for a fact that while reading a book on the ipad id always be farting around with email and such. Also the anti glare screen is great whether on the bus or just out the back, there is very little compromise on clarity. I originally stated i would be reading business books which thankfully are mostly void of diagrams so that issue has been averted for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WDW1111

I've converted .pdf work manuals etc to mobi using Calibre and they are great on my Kindle 3 and very easy to read. These manuals though have very few charts or diagrams. If it's just text they are as same to read as any novel after conversion. Make sure to transfer them to the Kindle via USB cable though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Eoin wrote: »
    I tried using Kindle on my iPad while travelling recently, and it's just not a proper eReader. Technically it can show the content, but I found it a strain on the eyes. Even at it's lowest level, I found it too bright, not to mention the glare and reflection on the screen. I much prefer my Sony PRS-505.
    Strangely, I too have bought and tried both and I prefer the Kindle much more.
    I find the print more clear and concise.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Biggins wrote: »
    Strangely, I too have bought and tried both and I prefer the Kindle much more.
    I find the print more clear and concise.
    Yes but Eoin's talking about using the Kindle App on his iPad. Therefore, you'd have the glare, etc that the iPad would give.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes but Eoin's talking about using the Kindle App on his iPad. Therefore, you'd have the glare, etc that the iPad would give.
    This is true - I mis-read his post.
    The glare aspect from the Ipad I have read about in a number of reviews.
    Indeed, everything has its flaws and this notion applies to all appliances.

Advertisement