Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish on WHV-How easy/difficult is it to get work in Oz?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi I've heard from alot of Irish people over in Oz thats it really easy to get work. One of my mates got 3 interviews in his first week and 2 job offers! I think the unemployment rate in australia is 5.3% so that makes sense!!

However, I've heard of a couple of Irish people who've really struggled to get any kind of employment over there, or have waited like 6 weeks to get anything. i also spoke to a fella who was over there for 3 months and had to come home cos he couldnt find work! it seems hard to believe but true! I'm just wondering how quickly have people on this forum got work and do you have any advice as to what kind of employers or sectors would be favourable to people on a WHV???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ah the old walk of shame.

The 6 months limitation of the WHV tends to put employers off for professional type jobs, unless its for short term contract work through agencies this us good for IT, Nursing etc

Casual Labouring/Casual trades (especially carpentry)/Driving plant machinery is easy to get by who you know and word of mouth.

washing dishes/bar work (requires a course)/warehousing etc is pretty competitive as this is what backpackers are looking for especially in the summer months.

Picking fruit is often hard work for FA pay in the back ass of nowhere.

Just remember a lot of employers have been burned by WHV before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod OP how about doing a search on the forum? We've had 3 years worth of work related questions.

Different people have different experiences, all depends on qualifications and what type of work they look for

You can get a job tomorrow doing crap jobs, most people seem to get a job within a month. Might not be the best job, but still a job.

as I said do a search and have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59155331

Since you haven't given us any details what so ever about your work experience ... we can't really help

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is work here, lots of it.
    you just need to look hard. The more specific the roel you want, the harder you need to look and the longer it will take.

The guy who went home after 3 months, I honestly think he could of stayed if he tried hard. Take a labouring job for a month while you keep emailing. The pay is good, the hours are long adn you'll probably clear more than most office works over a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Hey OP i'm currently finding it hard to get work at the moment.

I am applying for about 50 jobs a day, a mix of everything from office work to low skill stuff all of which i've experience at. But no go...but in saying that all my house mates have got work in construction which i can't seem to get because all the contruction labouring jobs insist on anyone they hire having a drivers licence...which if i'd known before i came here, i'd have got my provisional out of the way.

I'm in Perth at the moment, but was in Melbourne and Sydney and there didn't seem to be much work going when i was there.

Just be prepared to watch your money and lie on your cover letter and cv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

The seasons can also determine how much work is available. For example people land in Bondi at Christmas along with half of the world and wonder why they cant get a job or accommodation. If you are going to Sydney try getting there in Oct or Nov at latest and get in ahead of everyone else.

I am in Melbourne at the moment and there is plenty of work available because its freezing and all the smart travellers have fecked up north to sunnier climes

• Advertisement

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey OP i'm currently finding it hard to get work at the moment.

I am applying for about 50 jobs a day, a mix of everything from office work to low skill stuff all of which i've experience at. But no go...but in saying that all my house mates have got work in construction which i can't seem to get because all the contruction labouring jobs insist on anyone they hire having a drivers licence...which if i'd known before i came here, i'd have got my provisional out of the way.

I'm in Perth at the moment, but was in Melbourne and Sydney and there didn't seem to be much work going when i was there.

If ther didn't seam to be much work going, its because you weren't looking in the right places imo. Between everyone i know, somebody is always finishing up and looking for a new job, and they've all been sorted pretty quick once they start trying.

How are you applying, ou you are going through classified ads, generally they are guys looking for somebody to work for them, but not with them, ie another job site. So transport is needed. Often transport and own tools.

But there are tons of jobs out there for skilled and unskilled workers. Most of these aren't advertised, often arranged in the pub etc. Normally the boss asks his current lads do they know anybody, so so so many construction jobs are sort via word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Mellor wrote: »
    If ther didn't seam to be much work going, its because you weren't looking in the right places imo. Between everyone i know, somebody is always finishing up and looking for a new job, and they've all been sorted pretty quick once they start trying.

But there are tons of jobs out there for skilled and unskilled workers. Most of these aren't advertised, often arranged in the pub etc. Normally the boss asks his current lads do they know anybody, so so so many construction jobs are sort via word of mouth.

Hey Mellor would you recommend looking for work before someone leaves for Oz? I'll be heading over in November, and was thinking to start sending out my CV about a week before I leave.. I'm in the restaurant industry (loads of experience and a degree) so I don't think it will be hard at all to find work when I reach Melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Unemployment is actually at 4.9% right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MilkTheGroup

hussey wrote: »
    Mod OP how about doing a search on the forum? We've had 3 years worth of work related questions.

Different people have different experiences, all depends on qualifications and what type of work they look for

You can get a job tomorrow doing crap jobs, most people seem to get a job within a month. Might not be the best job, but still a job.

as I said do a search and have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59155331

Since you haven't given us any details what so ever about your work experience ... we can't really help

I'm a law graduate with a law postgrad. ive only really ever worked in retail (cashier/shop assistant) or low-level administration (data entry clerk) . i worked in furniture removal in the states for a summer too. I realise after doing some research that I dont have a hope of getting paralegal work because of the WHV restrictions. id be prepared to work in almost anything. though i couldnt see myself in construction, ive no experience and id be competing with maori's as i hear!!!

Hey Mellor would you recommend looking for work before someone leaves for Oz? I'll be heading over in November, and was thinking to start sending out my CV about a week before I leave.. I'm in the restaurant industry (loads of experience and a degree) so I don't think it will be hard at all to find work when I reach Melbourne
    Well there is no harm looking, but being at home is a huge disadvantage.
    What exactly in the restaurant industry waiter, maitre'd, barman, cook, head chef, sous chef, commis etc
    I'd recomend checkign online two weeks before you go, and try arrange some trials or interviews for when you land. That way they won't be put off by you being in ireland. It doesn't matter where you are if you show up next week for a trial run etc
    I realise after doing some research that I dont have a hope of getting paralegal work because of the WHV restrictions. id be prepared to work in almost anything. though i couldnt see myself in construction, ive no experience and id be competing with maori's as i hear!!!

It's slim, but not impossible. A friend of mine is in the legal field, was on a WHV and has been sponsored now.

But if you are willing to do anything then you'll be fine.
    Don't worry about the maoiri's, (insert lazy jibe here), there are plenty of crews willing or even looking to take on irish lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sirbob

eh so so depends on if u've any experience or not an wat u look for u jus gota keep lookin an chance ur arm by stickin up adds lookin for work on gumtree :D

sirbob wrote: »
    eh so so depends on if u've any experience or not an wat u look for u jus gota keep lookin an chance ur arm by stickin up adds lookin for work on gumtree :D
    Mod No text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Though i couldnt see myself in construction, ive no experience and id be competing with maori's as i hear!!!
    But if you are willing to do anything then you'll be fine.
    Don't worry about the maoiri's, (insert lazy jibe here), there are plenty of crews willing or even looking to take on irish lads

Maybe I have picked up on the wrong end of the stick. But can I please just check that Im not picking up on some form of racism here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Jumpy wrote: »
    Unemployment is actually at 4.9% right now.

Correction- 4.9% of Aussies are lazy and love getting 250 plus dollars a week to live in a very cheap to live country if you dont have to pay rent. If "unemployment" was actually 4.9 there would be a serious decrease in the number of foreign people here. Ive worked with so many westies, most of whom were dealing drugs and working for cash- sh1t if I could I would- unfortunately the Paddys who you see at Town Hall going to work at 530am wont ever be eligible for a cent of welfare. The Aussie welfare system is brilliant if you are eligible, its an absolute handout ripe open to abuse, and if I was Aussie I wouldnt be getting up at 5am 6 days a week to get a train to work my arse off in Campbelltown. Why? Beacuae while back home claiming dole during the tiger years was an embarrassment, in Australia its viewed as a regular thing even if there is work available- its more acceptable for a Bondi girl to claim dole than work in Bondi Hungry Jacks. Check how crowded the Bondi Junction Centrelink does be- how many Aussie families in poverty does the Bondi area have? Very few, yet any time I walk by that office the queue is out to the door. Loads of posh kids are thrown money by the government, simply because they cant be arsed getting a job. As said- 250 a week to live near the beach in your parents gaff- why the fcuk would you bother getting a job? It really pisses me off when I see the tabloid news shows that moan about the prices of this that and the other when, if you are Aussie, you can get by on handouts. Today Tonight and A Current Affair make The Sun seem like The Guardian. Filth media for a dirtbag audience.

As for the original question, depends what type f work you are looking for. <snip> The best step is to go to the Syd section of gumtree.com.au and put yopur own ad up, yil get calls within hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What are the chances of getting any sort of admin jobs in Melbourne on a whv? I've about 1.5 years experience in banking

although I haven't got a clue what damo was on about, he has a point I think 4.5% is considered "full employment" i.e. they are the ones who just don't get a job ever

Like Ireland in 00-06 we had a rate of around 4.5%

Damo, you are also forgetting that students can claim youth allowance (like Ireland's grant system) so you could be seeing them too.

Unlike Ireland anyone claiming 'Newstart' allowance (dole) have to provide reporting details, otherwise they don't get paid.

So i highly doubt your bondi girl on the dole claim, you said in ireland people were embarressed to be on the dole - same goes for rich kids in bondi. Just because you seen someone down at centrelink doesn't mean they are on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I was in centrelink last week .....oh the shame

kiwipower wrote: »
    Maybe I have picked up on the wrong end of the stick. But can I please just check that Im not picking up on some form of racism here?
    Oh no, was just trying to put the guy at ease, and not to worry about competing with guy built like a house for work. As long as he isn't lazy and is willing to work he'll get a start

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Well there is no harm looking, but being at home is a huge disadvantage.
    What exactly in the restaurant industry waiter, maitre'd, barman, cook, head chef, sous chef, commis etc
    I'd recomend checkign online two weeks before you go, and try arrange some trials or interviews for when you land. That way they won't be put off by you being in ireland. It doesn't matter where you are if you show up next week for a trial run etc

Worked as a waiter/barman in some pretty decent spots in london, NY and Florida.. working as an assistant restaurant manager at the moment. However I doubt i'll get a managerial or supervisor role in Oz considering i'll be on a WHV.. Looking on Seek and the hourly rate seems to be $20-25, which doesn't seem too bad.. hopefully tips will be decent as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Correction- 4.9% of Aussies are lazy and love getting 250 plus dollars a week to live in a very cheap to live country if you dont have to pay rent. If "unemployment" was actually 4.9 there would be a serious decrease in the number of foreign people here. Ive worked with so many westies, most of whom were dealing drugs and working for cash- sh1t if I could I would- unfortunately the Paddys who you see at Town Hall going to work at 530am wont ever be eligible for a cent of welfare. The Aussie welfare system is brilliant if you are eligible, its an absolute handout ripe open to abuse, and if I was Aussie I wouldnt be getting up at 5am 6 days a week to get a train to work my arse off in Campbelltown. Why? Beacuae while back home claiming dole during the tiger years was an embarrassment, in Australia its viewed as a regular thing even if there is work available- its more acceptable for a Bondi girl to claim dole than work in Bondi Hungry Jacks. Check how crowded the Bondi Junction Centrelink does be- how many Aussie families in poverty does the Bondi area have? Very few, yet any time I walk by that office the queue is out to the door. Loads of posh kids are thrown money by the government, simply because they cant be arsed getting a job. As said- 250 a week to live near the beach in your parents gaff- why the fcuk would you bother getting a job? It really pisses me off when I see the tabloid news shows that moan about the prices of this that and the other when, if you are Aussie, you can get by on handouts. Today Tonight and A Current Affair make The Sun seem like The Guardian. Filth media for a dirtbag audience.

As for the original question, depends what type f work you are looking for. <snip> The best step is to go to the Syd section of gumtree.com.au and put yopur own ad up, yil get calls within hours.

Ah mods. Why do you keep unbanning him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jumpy wrote: »
    Ah mods. Why do you keep unbanning him?
    People sometimes say we infract and ban people on this forum for not liking Oz or NZ. Damo is a pretty good example that we don't.
    He is also a good example that we don't ban people for spouting utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

busyliving wrote: »
    I am applying for about 50 jobs a day, a mix of everything from office work to low skill stuff all of which i've experience at. But no go...

Honestly, I think the scattergun approach just works against you.

Job-hunting on the internet and applying by sending CV after CV and untailored coverletter after untailored coverletter is pointless. For starters, there are plenty of employment agents advertising multiple jobs on seek.com.au. They see your CV and cover letter coming through again and again for different positions and you just hit the round file.

First, if you're on a WHV, don't apply for a permanent job. Apply for temporary, casual or contract work. You're unemployable on a permanent basis because of your visa and you're just wasting their time and yours putting in your CV for that sort of work.

If you want casual work, ring around the agencies and make appointments to come in and do their competency testing and whatever other things they want you to do. Be honest up front about your visa and your availability. An agent who's been stiffed before by a WHV visa worker who takes on an eight week contract and sods off after four weeks without as much as a by your leave - someone like that reads an Irish WHV CV and bins it, or hears an Irish accent and switches off. You need to be engaging, honest and professional on the phone.

See if you can get an agency to help you tailor a CV - the format over here is often very different to what you'd submit in Ireland. (That, and I think everybody can benefit from someone else looking over their CV every so often!)

Ask clear questions of the agent - how likely am I to get some work through you? And then tell them you don't want to join a whole bunch of agencies, you want to commit to them and subsequently you need to get work through them. This bit doesn't have to be completely honest - join as many agencies up front as you can, but remember that recruitment agents are virtually all commission-based. The more they place you, the more money you make for them. The more you're available to them, the more they can place you. If you work for four agencies at once, you'll drop down the list of their 'people to call' when a job comes up. If you can manage to commit to one or two and start getting good work out of them, stick with them and make yourself available.

Once your CVs are out there with the agencies, print out a bunch of clear, generic copies tailored to wait staff / shelf stackers / retail / pulling pints type work (google 'RSA Certificate' - responsible service of alcohol) and pound the pavements near your house. Bring a pen - lots of organisations (hospitals, hotels, supermarkets) have a generic job application form they'd like you to complete, regardless of you having a CV.

Go for a few pints in the backpacker bars and ask the locals where they're working and who's hiring. (And I literally mean bars attached to backpacker joints, not just the pubs in St Kilda.)

Sitting at home and applying for multiple online jobs by email, unless you're a white-collar worker with extensive qualifications - it's just like spamming people. It's annoying and it won't get you anywhere.

If you've residency and are applying for white collar work especially in public sector / government / healthcare, make sure you check if there are key selection criteria with a job. Any job advertised with a set of key selection criteria that you don't address, your CV will go in the bin (unless you're some sort of highly employable genius where they'll overlook this very basic mistake). <-- People scattergunning CVs virtually always miss these.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sirbob

hussey wrote: »
    Mod No text speak.

sorry lad force of habit i'll do my best

Advertisement