Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with magpies

• 18-05-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Are they considered vermin in the eyes of the law?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

shoot away if thats what your asking, they are on derogation list and can be shot all year round. want some help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

discus wrote: »
    Are they considered vermin in the eyes of the law?
    What are they doing to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Under Irish Law you can also subject them to cruel Larsen trapping as well. But then again you could accept them as a welcome natural species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dont shoot it, salute it. its bad luck not to:cool:

Discodog wrote: »
    Under Irish Law you can also subject them to cruel Larsen trapping as well. But then again you could accept them as a welcome natural species.
    he didint ask for a lecture.... tell us all how larsen traps are cruel?

• Advertisement

dont shoot it, salute it. its bad luck not to:cool:
    bad luck fr the magpie if he is being saluted with a shotgun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

this thread should be in the hunting forum - unless it's a deliberate ploy to annoy animal lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

No ploy, genuinely. Just having a lot of trouble with the huge local population of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

What exactly is the trouble you are having with them?

Kildare.17hm - aren't you in the wrong forum? But to answer your question (I am sure DD wont mind):

http://www.againstcorvidtraps.co.uk/

OP, good advice on deterring them is given here: http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/Magpies.asp

I use an eye balloon myself as I live in hen harrier habitat and have never had any problems with crows, magpies etc killing chicks.

I know what forum im in EGAR, the op asked a question and i answered, i actually took it to private messaging with him and gave him my opinon there. my deffinition of cruel is different to yours and discodogs which is fine but larsen traps are not illegal so obviously the people in charge of these things think differently to you and discodog too

• Advertisement

People *in charge* think it is ok to send Greyhounds to China, to have an Animal Welfare Law which is celebrating its 100th birthday this year, allow coursing and puppy farms, cull badgers because they *think* they *might* transmit bovine TB and ran the country into the ground - I rest my case :D.

EGAR wrote: »
    People *in charge* think it is ok to send Greyhounds to China, to have an Animal Welfare Law which is celebrating its 100th birthday this year, allow coursing and puppy farms, cull badgers because they *think* they *might* transmit bovine TB and ran the country into the ground - I rest my case :D.
    some good points you make but i also dont have a problem with coursing or culling badgers if its needed! puppy farming is not allowed now so thats that gone from your list and as for the china thing...... ill bite my tounge:p threads like this always go round in circles because we will both have very different opinions so i think its best we leave it at that! Totally agree with the highlighted bit tho;)

Your reply shows that you really are in the wrong forum.

this is animal and pet issues, i love animals and have 4 dogs and a rabbit as guess what, pets!! think im just as entitled to be here as any of the rest of you

this is animal and pet issues, i love animals and have 4 dogs and a rabbit as guess what, pets!! think im just as entitled to be here as any of the rest of you

Great, I've got a few gundogs, see you in the hunting forum then :D - let's hope you extent the same courtesy then ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I was pretty sure badgers were on the protected list...

Great, I've got a few gundogs, see you in the hunting forum then :D - let's hope you extent the same courtesy then ;).
    of course you will be welcome over there, come with an open mind and respect peoples opininions over there, give your opinions and there will be no problem!

Gerry.L wrote: »
    they are but a cull can be ordered if numbers get out of control or for other reasons

Gerry.L wrote: »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6653691.stm

of course you will be welcome over there, come with an open mind and respect peoples opininions over there, give your opinions and there will be no problem!

Oh, it's been a while since someone tried to patronize me ;). Ah well... :D

• Advertisement

I had a look at that site there and it's pretty harsh. I use Larsen traps and multi-traps, I've never caught a bird of prey in one, even if I did I'd have let it go. In my larsen traps the lure bird or call bird is replaced every time a new bird is caught, so it's stressful time in the cage is minimal (a night at the most usually) They're checked twice a day. The bird is fed and given water. In our club all larsen traps must have a sheltered part for the call bird also. This isn't in all traps but it's the norm. Don't tar all trappers with the one brush because the majority of us are responsible in what we do (Especially Gamekeepers, who seem to take a particular bashing on that site).

I respect your opinions and views though so I'd read into a few more things before basing them all on that site. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're looking for permission to shoot or destroy wildlife, there are more appropriate forums. Hunting or Home & Garden spring to mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement