Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another learner licence question!

• 18-05-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys, so I've exchanged my UK licence for an irish one.

When I do my theory how do I get a motorbike provisional? Do I have to send off my full licence away with the provisional form and the two get combined?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Sorry think this about covers is..

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland.html
    If you are applying for a learner permit to drive a motorcycle, you should apply for a permit for Categories A or A1 or M. Before you apply for your first learner permit, you must first complete a Driver Theory Test. When you complete your Driver Theory Test successfully, you will be given a certificate, which you must send with your application for a learner permit. The theory test certificate is valid for two years from the date of issue.

The application form for a learner permit (D.201) is available from your Motor Taxation Office or you can request Form D.201 by post through CitizensInformation.ie. It is not available to download online.

Completed application forms should be accompanied by:

Two identical passport-type photographs with the reverse of both signed by you.
    A birth certificate or passport. This is not a requirement if
    - you hold a current driving licence or held one within the last 10 years
    - or you hold a current learner permit or held one within the last five years
    - or you already hold a valid driving licence issued by another EU state or "recognised" country.
    An eyesight report. Download an eyesight report form (D.502) here (pdf). This form is also available from your Motor Taxation Office or you can request form D.502 by post through CitizensInformation.ie. A completed eyesight report form must accompany all first-time learner permit applications. A registered ophthalmic optician or a registered medical practitioner should conduct your eye test. He or she should then complete the D.502 form and witness your signed declaration on the form.
    A medical report. Download a medical report form (D.501) here (pdf) (must be printed back to back on one page). This form is available from your Motor Taxation Office or you can also request form D.501 by post through CitizensInformation.ie. A medical report is compulsory if
    - you will be 70 years of age or more on the first day of the period for which the permit is being issued
    - you have any of certain disabilities or diseases
    - you suffer from epilepsy or alcoholism
    - you regularly take drugs or medication that would be likely to impair your ability to drive safely
    A registered medical practitioner should carry out your medical examination and then complete the form. You must sign the declaration on the medical report form in the presence of the registered medical practitioner.
    Your current or last driving licence and/or learner permit. If your most recent learner permit has been lost or stolen, you must complete a lost licence declaration (Form D8.A) which is available from your local Garda Station. You must submit the form, signed and stamped by the Gardaí, with your application for renewal.
    Your driver theory test certificate.
    The appropriate fee. If you are applying for your permit by post, pay the fee by cheque, bank draft or postal order, made payable to your local authority. If you are applying for your learner permit in person, you may pay the fee in cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

You don't send your full licence to get a learner permit - you'll be issued with a separate learner licence so you'll have 2 documents.

When you pass the test, you then hand in your learner permit, your certificate of competency (to say you've passed) and your full licence and the bike category will be added.

The paragraph in bold in your post refers to renewals only.

Advertisement