Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of bringing car to oz?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

alright lads, i was was wondering has anyone actually shipped a car from Ireland to oz? i have read a bit of info on the procedure but i'm trying get information on the costs by the Australian government. what kind, if any, taxes do i have to pay and is it worth my while shipping the car over? its a 06 BMW 6 series. i know transport will be about 2k. cheer lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod do a search on this forum, there have been a few threads about this - simple answer is 'a lot'

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Imported cars have a lower resale value over here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boycurious

i tried to look for them on here but only really found post about shipping and not the actual government charges. i'll have another look now.

my car is valued at $90k there compared to about €16k here so was thinking of bringing it with me. why do they sell for less and how much % wise are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Are you a citizen/PR? Otherwise you won't be allowed sell it anyway.

just got pr the other day after 2 years of waiting!!! so just looking into a few different things before i make the move. do you know of anyone who has brought a car over and what is actually involved in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You need to pay duty and GST based on the OZ value - or I should say the value put on it by an assessor. You need to also pay to have it complied - which is around $1500 iirc. You also need to have the original bill of sale for the car, and prove you've held it for more than 12 months.

I looked into shipping my 2002 M3 over but decided against it - was working out at around $12k I think.

Good thread here from someone who went ahead with it -
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=139&t=526846&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Importing%20a%20car%20to%20Australia%20-%20All%20the%20facts...%20Hopefully!&mid=0

cheers for the link Kdevitt. it seems a bit more expensive than i thought but i still think it might be worth it in the long run. thanks for all your help lads and i'm sure i'll be posting a lot more over the coming weeks/months/years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I think a lot of Australians still believe that imported cars rust faster. I couldn't say how much less they sell for but they seem to be harder to sell. I am in WA though and this ingrained view may be dying out. We bought a british import Jaguar a few years ago and had no problem selling it on later. It was a 60s car though.

Cars tend to have a higher spec over here too. So check that your car is exactly the same spec as the one valued at $90k.

Advertisement