Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Xbox 360 update

Options
  • 18-05-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭

Microsoft has confirmed that some Xbox 360 consoles won't be happy with the upcoming, mandatory firmware update. The console manufacturer will replace consoles that become unable to read retail game discs -- once anti-piracy measures are enabled -- with a new Xbox 360 S with 250 GB hard drive.

"Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs," a Microsoft statement provided to Eurogamer reads. "This issue manifests itself a as a unique 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console."

The firmware update implements new anti-piracy measures (along with a 1GB bump in disc storage capacity) that apparently don't play nice with certain DVD drives. Given that the Xbox 360 has had several revisions to its guts over the years, this is the reason why only certain models will be affected.

Ive heard this update will restore the dvd drive firmware to stock so bad news for anyone with a modded console. I wonder what drives will be incompatible with the update?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Great form by MS I think. Acknowledge the small problem, offer an attractive recompense for anyone affected with a brand new machine, & can actively diagnose it from XBL.

That, is how its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

So how does this really effect someone with a modded console??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

My moneys on the older Hitachi drives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

PAU wrote: »
    So how does this really effect someone with a modded console??

First off, if you take the update it flashes your DVD drive firmware. This means no more iXtreme CFW. If you re-flash with iX LT you don't have 'stealth' and can't use it on Xbox Live (and lets face it, lots of people do use CFW on Live). The new kernel can most likely detect iX LT in the current form, so if you reflash and keep it off live your console will probably trip a flag in secdata.bin and if you ever reconnect it to live you'll get your ban. The current iX LT doesn't work with the new disc format, X3GD.

And all of this assumes that the update doesn't brick your console by preventing it from reading discs. You can bet the new 360 Slim 250GB they give you as a replacement has a 0225 or perhaps even the brand new drives that can't be modded at the minute.

So yeah, affects modded consoles a little bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Flashing the drive is interesting, I assume they'd replace a console the might brick during the update.

This could well put a stop / serious delay to piracy of games using the new format. Plus with possible Skype included in the update (at least eventually) it's very nice, updates that come with new features!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

red_fox wrote: »
    Flashing the drive is interesting, I assume they'd replace a console the might brick during the update.

This could well put a stop / serious delay to piracy of games using the new format. Plus with possible Skype included in the update (at least eventually) it's very nice, updates that come with new features!

this is what i think. To much risk of a brick. But that might be the case only for fat X, new slim drives might have flashing from the xbox implemented, an ace in the sleeve.

Well Microsoft are replacing any console that bricks with 250GB slims, and so far there are only reports of older ones bricking. The slim is definitely more suited to flashing the drive on a dashboard update, sure there are rumours they're even enabling Write Protect on the 9504 drives with this update.

Would be awesome if I updated my legit xbox and it bricked, then I could get a Slim \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

does this mean they will fix consoles that have the 'disc unreadable' error due to age? Happened to one of mine ages ago, and i'd love if they fixed it for me! :pac:

I have a modded 2006 machine that wouldnt do this update. I have a samsung drive.

Everytime I tried the update it gave me a error code and told me to contact microsoft support, it then attempted to reboot and came up with a E74 error.

4 times it did this untill eventually it seemed like the update forced its way through and installed, when It rebooted everything appears to work as normal, my modded firmware is still there and its reading backups perfectly for online play.

However I am now getting random screen freezes, sometimes the Xbox 360 freezes 2 minutes after turning it on and other times it can last a full hour without any crashing.

Id love to contact Microsoft and get one of these new Xboxes but Ive obviously got modded firmware and I have opened the box to do the xclamp fix. But im pretty sure its now buggy since this new firmware upgrade.

Any advice on what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Seems like you have an intermittent E74 error, this is related to GPU failure a reflow or reball will sort this issue. It wouldn't be anything to do with the recent update

• Advertisement

Is it wise to get my Xbox flashed again or to just wait until this all calms down??

Flashed to what end? There have been no new firmwares in a few months, there is nothing to flash it with. I would just avoid this update if you wish to retain the features of a CFW

It was flashed, then I got banned on live with the Modern Warfare banwave, just wondering just I get it re-flashed or just wait awhile?

PAU wrote: »
    It was flashed, then I got banned on live with the Modern Warfare banwave, just wondering just I get it re-flashed or just wait awhile?

Personally, I'd wait a while. There's nothing your CFW can't do at the minute, even if a workaround is needed. If you didn't have to pay somebody to flash it then I'd recommend you do it yourself and save any messing about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

So if one had an unmodded 2006 20gig Xbox, would it be more beneficial to update and hope it bricks it or mod it?

It depends on what your goal is.

Your options are:

1) If your dashboard version is 2.0.7371 or lower then JTAG it
    2) If it has no CFW and you don't want a CFW, update it. If it bricks, even better :D
    3) If it has CFW and you want to keep the CFW, don't update until a new CFW is out. If it bricks following the update, get a new console :D
    4) If it has a CFW and you don't want a CFW anymore, update it.
    5) Leave it as is

Personally, I'd wait a while. There's nothing your CFW can't do at the minute, even if a workaround is needed. If you didn't have to pay somebody to flash it then I'd recommend you do it yourself and save any messing about :)

If you were living in Cork, I'd get you to do it for me lol, I wouldn't have a clue mate.

Advertisement