Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Redknapp Conundrum - The Times

Options
  • 18-05-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

The Redknapp conundrum - a few pointers for Tottenham's future

Neil Gardner[COLOR=rgb102, 102, 102]1 hour ago[/COLOR]
    a16c5c96-a4b7-4677-a06a-3fb80074e42d.Large.jpg

Gabriele Marcotti

Which is the real Tottenham Hotspur? The one which knocked AC Milan out of the Champions League and was up to fourth place in January or the one which limped to the finish line winning just two of their last 14 games in all competitions? And what happens next?

Here are some issues for Daniel Levy to ponder...

1. What do you do with Harry Redknapp?

Redknapp will be in court in July to fight tax evasion charges. He has already admitted this season that it's a worry for him and his family and that, at times, it's been difficult to concentrate on his job. The worst-case scenario, a guilty verdict, will likely result in further appeals and a long-drawn out court battle. But even the best- case scenario, a full acquittal, will likely interfere with Spurs' activities in July, both in terms of pre-season training and transfer activity.

Redknapp has done very well for the club. But when you throw in the fact that he's the frontrunner to replace Fabio Capello after Euro 2012 and could be gone in twelve months' time anyway, you have to ask the difficult question: is it worth retaining him in his current role?

Would it be better for Redknapp to take a break, focus on fighting the charges against him and prepare for the England job? And would that be better for Spurs as well, if it means giving his successor a year to bed in and plan for the inevitable?

It doesn't mean Redknapp would have to leave the club, he could stick around, perhaps working with a hand-picked successor. But it would remove some of the pressure on him. And make the transition easier a year from now. The alternative is having an overworked and burdened Redknapp unsure of what will happen in court and then having to look for a new manager anyway in a few months' time.

2. What do you do with Ledley King?

There is no question he's been a loyal servant to the club and, when he's fit, he's one of the better centre-halves in the world. But he didn't play a single minute between October 16 and May 15... that's seven months without kicking a ball. He has a year left on his contract, at some point it's a case of throwing good money after bad.

Unless the doctors can give you a definitive answer, it may be best to give him a coaching rule and usher him to exit stage left. Either way, you don't give him a new deal. At age 30, with his injury record, he has to prove his fitness.

3. Is Kyle Walker ready to start at right back?

I would lean towards a "yes". Or at least that he's ready to compete for the job. With Vedran Corluka a viable alternative (and signed to a long-term deal) it means moving Alan Hutton on. No sense having three right backs at the club.

4. Are you OK with the current crop of central defenders?

Michael Dawson and William Gallas are both locked into medium-term contracts and, to me at least, they're fine. The question marks are Younes Kaboul and Sébastien Bassong. If you're not convinced by them (particularly Bassong, who has been inconsistent) it may make sense to loan them out.

No sense in trying to sell Bassong as he has a decent contract and his value will be depressed after a lacklustre season.

But he's 24 and has shown in the past that he can do a job in the Premier League. Why not loan him out and see if he regain his mojo? If you do that, then you can think about adding another centre back.

5. Is Heurelho Gomes a long-term solution in goal?

Here, the uncertainty over Redknapp's long-term future does you no favours. Gomes is at the stage where he either gets a new deal (his contract expires in 2013) or he gets moved on. If Redknapp decides to keep him, Gomes gets a new deal and then the new manager decides he doesn't like him, it will be an expensive mistake.

Equally, does it make sense to charge Redknapp with the job of finding a replacement when he'll be gone in a years' time? There's no easy answer here.

6. How to sort out the central midfield players?

You have four of them - Sandro, Wilson Palacios, Tom Huddlestone and Jermaine Jenas - and all but Jenas, whose contract is up in 2013, are locked into long-term deals. This means you should be somewhat worried that Redknapp is making noises about bringing in Scott Parker (not because Parker is a bad footballer, but because he's 30 and will cost a fair whack of money). You can't really sell Huddlestone because he's coming off an injury and you won't get fair value.

Sandro does have plenty of suitors, but he just arrived and it's the kind of move you could come to regret. You need to make some tough choices here, You can't really have a revolving door midfield. And you don't really need four central midfield players if you plan on playing Luka Modric in a central position (which, if Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon are fit you'll probably want to do).

If you think Parker is the answer, you should probably move at least two of your central midfield players (probably Palacios, because he's the most saleable, and Jenas).

Again, if you can' get fair value, then loan them and get them a shop window. These aren't bad players, they're simply guys whose value diminishes if they don't play every week.

7. Do you cash in on Gareth Bale?

The answer, unless Spurs' medical staff know something we don't, is an unqualified "no" as I see it. To get full value, he needs to prove his fitness. Of course, it could also be that he'll never prove his fitness because he has some congenital problem. But even that wouldn't be an unqualified disaster, it would simply mean he would stay at Spurs and contribute when he can.

What would be a disaster, in my opinion, would be selling him now for less than £15m to £20m and then have him live up to his potential. Best to keep him around and hope you can keep him fit and productive.

8. Which attacking midfield players do you keep?

There are far too many bodies here, many of them with long-term deals. If somebody wants David Bentley after his stint at Brimingham, sell him. Same goes for Nico Kranjcar: there's no point having someone of his quality on your books if he only starts two games all season long.

As for some of the youngsters, like Danny Rose, make a decision now, before their contract winds down (his is up in 2013) and you lose them for very little. With Steven Pienaar now on board, you have three creative types to choose from (Rafael Van der Vaart, Modric and Pienaar) plus two wingers (Bale and Aaron Lennon). That's plenty, even if you play 4-2-3-1.

Round out the group with a youngster (maybe Rose, maybe somebody else). But realise also that you don't want to be stuck in a situation where a new player comes along that you want to sign and you simply can't do it because you have too many bodies under contract. This goes back to the manager. He should be the one making these tough decisions and ensuring he gets the guys he wants. But if he leaves in a year's time, what will that mean for Spurs?

9. Do you take a loss on the strikers just so you can get somebody in?

Conventional wisdom would be that Spurs would be better off with one top-drawer A-list striker than three decent ones. But A-list strikers cost money, both in terms of wages and transfer fees. Peter Crouch (30), Robbie Keane (30), Jermain Defoe (28) and Roman Pavlyuchenko (29) are nearing the downsides of their career.

All but Crouch (2014) go out of contract in 2013. The time to sell is now, even if you do it at a loss. (And, odds are, you will lose money on these guys because none of them have been convincing). Keane's shop window stint at West Ham didn't work out, Defoe has scored four league goals all year, which is as many as Crouch, and Pavlyuchenko is inconsistent.

Do you bite the bullet? You probably have to, if you're going to bring in a legitimate first-rate striker. There is no point in carrying four strikers if you're going to play one up (and if you want to shoehorn Van der Vaart into your line-up and still have a modicum of balance, you really need to play a lone striker).

But which of the two do you jettison? How much of a loss do you take? These are decisions which, affect the club in the medium-term. And the problem for Spurs is that they don't have a medium-term manager.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Good article.
    It will be interesting to see how July works out. Either way, I think we will only have HR for another 12 months. The idea of keeping him but bringing in a new manager too is stupid, it would never work.

Players to let go are Gomes, Pletikosa, woodgate, hutton, jenas, bentley, dos santos, keane, Crouch and Pav for me. Easier said than done as clubs have to make decent bids before we can sell. Bassong has had a rough time. He hasn't played, and when he has, it's having gone so long with no games and is naturally struggling for sharpness etc..maybe a loan deal.

Bale will stay for another 12 months, but if he has another good season and we dont make the top 4, expect Europes elite to come calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd actually keep crouch good squad player and chips in with assists.
    Also wouldn't mind Villa boas coming in this summer who I think could be awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Very good read. Brings up some good points.

1. Didn't realise that HR is going to be in court and stuff, maybe it would be best to get a new manager in. I like HR but if he's going to go for the England job in 12months anyway no ponit in having half of his attention till then.

2. What can be done with King. We can't sell him really. And we can't just terminate his contract. Only problem it leaves is weather he gets included in the 25 man squad. Hopefully he'll be fit enough to make that and then once his contract is up he could have pay-as-you-play type deal or move towards coaching if he likes.

3. Move on Hutton, seems to have fallen out of favour, and I'd prefer to have Kyle instead of him. Kyle should be capable of fighting for a starting spot.

4. I'm happy with the defence. Maybe one more CB for cover and loan out Bassong. Dawson is brilliant and Gallas has been great too, and I'm hoping that Kaboul will turn into a great player. He's young, fast, strong, big, and good with the ball etc. Could be a good ball playing CB with good distribution if he progresses well which I really hope he does.

5. Big decision needs to be made as the article points out. I would love to see a new GK brought in, but good GK these days are hard to find and don't generally come cheap.

6. Luka, Tom and Sandro are all great players in the middle for us. Don't want Parker coming in tbh. He would cost a bit (wages etc plus he's 30) and we don't need him. I'd rather what we all ready have. Think its prob time for Jenas to move on. Be best for us and him. We still have wilson and ohara and a few so should be okay.

7. If massive offers come in for Bale I'd say we will take them. But at least 35+ if not 40+ otherwise we should keep him.

8. Bently needs to be sold for sure. Even if it means a big loss. It's time. Wish Niko had of got some more game time to prove himself/demand a bigger fee but he didn't. Time for him to go now too with Pinear and others to cover we have enough.

9. We need a change up front. Get rid of both Keane and Pav for sure. Need to get a good front man in to lead the line. Depending on who we get in and how many we get in decisions would need to be made regarding Crouch and Defoe.

That's my quick views on the points made. I'm sure I left a few things out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I'd actually keep crouch good squad player and chips in with assists.
    Also wouldn't mind Villa boas coming in this summer who I think could be awesome

That would be sweet. Especially if he brought Falco and Hulk with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Is it this week he's in court ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Is it this week he's in court ?
    Ya thats why he's not travelled with the squad to SA and won't arrive until Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Here's some additional background to HRs tax issues - from Gavin Sheridan at The Story. The Story is based in Ireland, and so can make available material "subject of a court order by Southwark Crown Court and therefore the British media have been unable to publish."

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ahally

crouch is a real bonus to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ahally

havent heard much about the court case

Advertisement