Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

requirements for purchase of a shotgun

Options
  • 18-05-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

forgive my ignorance but i realise that you cannot simply walk into the store of a gun dealer and buy a gun like you can a packet of peanuts , could someone please list the requirements which are needed in order for a gun dealer to sell a shotgun - riffle etc

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

yes its as easy as that to buy it but you will have to then licence it before you can pick it up. big red banner at top of page will tell you everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

yes its as easy as that to buy it but you will have to then licence it before you can pick it up. big red banner at top of page will tell you everything!

i notice thier is a sub forum for those who wish to advertise guns for sale privatley , i might perfer to buy a gun second hand , if you buy one privatley , what happens , will the seller insist on proof that you have licenced it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i notice thier is a sub forum for those who wish to advertise guns for sale privatley , i might perfer to buy a gun second hand , if you buy one privatley , what happens , will the seller insist on proof that you have licenced it ?

you wont get a gun off anyone without a licence for it. firearms dealers have second hand guns too and alot of the guns for sale in that section are in rfd's shops

you must apply for a licence by getting the serial number and caliber and fill out the form. for your first gun you may need to do a gun safety course and you will need a gun safe for a rifle which must be secured to a wall. A shotgun needs a trigger lock and be broken and stored separately or your super might want you to get a gun safe for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

the seller wont give you the gun untill you get your licence. what are you thinking about getting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

garv123 wrote: »
    you wont get a gun off anyone without a licence for it. firearms dealers have second hand guns too and alot of the guns for sale in that section are in rfd's shops

you must apply for a licence by getting the serial number and caliber and fill out the form. for your first gun you may need to do a gun safety course and you will need a gun safe for a rifle which must be secured to a wall. A shotgun needs a trigger lock and be broken and stored separately or your super might want you to get a gun safe for it.

fine , thanks for your reply , i assumed the exact same i.d was required when buying a gun privatley , i wasnt implying that i wished to buy a gun without a licence

Advertisement