Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB got infected with Spyware, could have I lost my work on it?

• 18-05-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

It was recently infected with a spy ware. It infected my laptop and brought it to a PC repair store to get it fixed. But when I put my UDB stick in I can't access any folder on it but can access programes that are not in folders. When ever I try to open a folder this comes up; Windows cannot find D:\RECYCLER\9fddc8d5.exe.

When I click on to the properties of the folders it only says that there is 2KB's and that they were created on the 11th May, which is the day I suspect that it got infected.

I didn't think Spy Ware could remove items? Is this the Spy Ware playing trickery, saying that it's not there when it is, or is all that work gone?

I was going to go to the PC repair shop tomorrow and see if they can do anything, could someone give me an incling if all this work is gone? Otherwise I'll have to wait up alnight and re-do all these edits

Do you think they could find these programes are they gone forever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

effluent wrote: »
    It was recently infected with a spy ware. It infected my laptop and brought it to a PC repair store to get it fixed. But when I put my UDB stick in I can't access any folder on it but can access programes that are not in folders. When ever I try to open a folder this comes up; Windows cannot find D:\RECYCLER\9fddc8d5.exe.

When I click on to the properties of the folders it only says that there is 2KB's and that they were created on the 11th May, which is the day I suspect that it got infected.

I didn't think Spy Ware could remove items? Is this the Spy Ware playing trickery, saying that it's not there when it is, or is all that work gone?

I was going to go to the PC repair shop tomorrow and see if they can do anything, could someone give me an incling if all this work is gone? Otherwise I'll have to wait up alnight and re-do all these edits

Do you think they could find these programes are they gone forever?

It looks to me as if your infected and the usb drive is looking for the file that was the virus on your system.

Try scanning your usb drive with malwarebytes and your antivirus if you have one.

If it finds something remove then i would do a full system scan with malwarebytes in safemode to make sure its gone.

I would also do a scan with this http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684 on both computer and usb drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

effluent wrote: »
    It was recently infected with a spy ware. It infected my laptop and brought it to a PC repair store to get it fixed.

Sounds like they didn't do a very good job removing the infection then, did they?

Take it back with your receipt for services and demand that they FULLY remove the infection manually and not just run an AV scanner or reinstall Windows.

I'm sick of lazy technicians I really am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sorry to break this news to you but a common method of infecting keys actually replace the folders with shortcuts to an executable. This is the method used to infect the system it is carried to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Ahhhh ............ the old recycler :cool:

Hateful thing that loves to hide out in USB keys.

Was in a situation recently where alot of keys became infected in the one place. The best solution we found after trying all the scans we could was to format the USB key.
    After the format run a data recovery tool on the key and we managed to get all the data back intact. These keys contained all the class work of about 20 students.

Sound drastic I know but it worked.

Mike:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

HTB wrote: »
    Ahhhh ............ the old recycler :cool:

Hateful thing that loves to hide out in USB keys.

Was in a situation recently where alot of keys became infected in the one place. The best solution we found after trying all the scans we could was to format the USB key.
    After the format run a data recovery tool on the key and we managed to get all the data back intact. These keys contained all the class work of about 20 students.

Sound drastic I know but it worked.

Mike:)

What data recovery software did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

I used MiniTool Power data recovery.

A very clever and useful set of tools.

Mike :)

Delete the autorun.inf file off the USB stick, that should sort it. You'll probably need to use the command prompt to do this.

Advertisement