Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marijuana and blood donation

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi there

I want to donate blood/platelets and just did the questionnaire on Ibts.ie which said
    "Chances are you can give blood today. However, there are other reasons why you may not – we will go through these with you in detail at the clinic."

I'm fit and healthy with no complaints so should be fine but I'm just wondering will they accept my blood if I smoke a joint from time to time (maybe once every week or two)

I've seen the question asked in several places online and the consensus seems to be that like alcohol once you are not under the influence then it's fine.
    I'm sure countries which have legalised it don't stop smokers donating but I don't know anything specific to Ireland.

I'd really like to help out by going and doing this but I don't want to end up going and then possibly being turned away for a "drug" reason
    Obviously I can see the dangers and reasons for not accepting blood from someone who has taken hard or chemically addictive drugs and would never want to donate if I thought I would potentially put something harmful into someone else's body.

Anyway if anyone able to tell me the situation regarding this it would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

As far as I can remember, the questionnaire doesn't ask about Marijuana, just Coke and IV drug use.

Advertisement