Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Bottle For School

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Can somebody please recommend a drinks bottle that my kids can take to school that does not leak. We have gone through so many in the past few years and at this stage I am fed up throwing out soggy copy books and school books.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I just refill a regular screw-top water bottle. You can pop a straw inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Get a proper metal screw top drinking bottle which as a washer in it.
    I bought mine theirs 4 years ago and they are still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If there's a Heatons near you there are cheap 750ml sports bottles in the Sportsworld dept.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Macros42 wrote: »
    If there's a Heatons near you there are cheap 750ml sports bottles in the Sportsworld dept.
    That leak like mad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

the ones we have are fine

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I know this isn't exactly the cheapest but these are amazing! You can lock the top, and water will only come out when you hold the little button, so it's practically impossible for them to spill or leak. I've got one for work, and my sis in law got them for her son and swears by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Oh God,I know exactly what you mean. My 2 have gone through dozens of drinks cups. I got their most recent ones in Tesco. Can't remember the name on them,think its Thermos. They have a thing that you can freeze water in and put it into the bottle to keep drinks cool. They don't have a straw or anything,so may not be great for smaller children,they also need a bit of strength to close them. Mine have had them since January,and so far so good,no soggy books:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

My son had one of those thermos cups, first the freezer bit broke, then the lid leaked. It lasted about a month I would say. I went for a cup that had 4 clips rather than a screw top which worked well until one of the clips broke, probably got 2 months out of that. One of the worst was the latest cup for my daughter, a hello kitty piece of crap that for some reason the top did not even screw on properly, it popped off if you gave it a slight twist too much.
    The ones with the button look good but they are quite expensive but if I had bought them at the start of the year I would probably have saved money at this stage.
    Last year I think I just reused small plastic bottles that had juice in them originally and I think they were probably the most successful of all, I got weeks out of a single bottle, I'm not sure why I stopped that system, I may reinvest in a six pack of ribena.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The best I have had so far is one of the disney princess plastic screw tops with sportslid. My girls always take water to bed with them too in a bottle sowe go through bottles like 90 but the pink one has been the longest lasting so far. I have gotten someof the metal screw tops and sports store bottles and they leak like mad.

disney-princess-plastic-bottle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Best of luck to you trying to find this!! My lad is in 3rd class now, and I've gone through tonnes of these and never found one that didn't leak, no matter what it said on the label! I even bought one in a camping shop, that cost a fortune, and that eventually leaked too!
    This year, I resigned myself to buying bottles of water in lidl/aldi - usually 2.99 for 10/12. Haven't had a wet school book since September;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

After 16 years of primary school parenting; the best solution I came up with was the standard cheap plastic water bottle.

You can rinse and re-use for ages; they will eventually break but we had a sort of competition at home to see who could keep theirs going the longest.

Also if you can, get a school bag that has a side pocket and put the bottle in that, if it leaks the books will be protected from the worst of it.

For school children in the younger years, you can get a plastic wallet/ziplock type thing & put the books in that & it saves them from the worst of the 'bad yougurt day/melted chocolate' incidents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got one like this in TK Maxx. It was about €7 and has been perfect! It has the washer at the lid so no leakage. They have loads of colours and sizes. Easy for the dishwasher as well. I bring mine running so it gets thrown around quite a bit, and never a problem.

Try camping shops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Like a few here i just use ordinary water bottles.. i drink a lot of sparkling water and i have loads of them around.. so we just re-use them. ;) cheap and they never leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

you cannot beat an ordinary drink bottle! go with them

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

i give my lads the one ltr water bottles, its easey to open and close, he likes miwadi or ribina. he can reuse it over and over again. like you when they started school first i bought the nice cute novelty bottles ,never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 florita

I found the Sistema Twister Bottle very good for my daughter. These types of bottles don't work very well for fizzy drinks though. Perfect for water, juice or dilute though. You can get them in howard's storage world in carrickmines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've had great success with one of these http://www.ecoutlet.co.uk/h2onya-reusable-water-bottles-2.html

I use it for hiking, camping etc and give it a lot of abuse.

Another suggestion that mainly only Dad's and little boys will love is an NATO issue military surplus bottle like the classic 58 pattern osprey (http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/58-pattern-osprey-water-bottle--mug---british-issue-no-fakes-119-p.asp)

These are indestructible and do not leak, all owners love theirs.

Or there is it's American cousin
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/us-gi-1-quart-water-bottle-641-p.asp

Advertisement