Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Charter Roll viewed by the Queen...

• 18-05-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

The Queen was shown the Waterford Great Charter Roll today by Eamon McEneaney (Curator of the Museum of Treasure):

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0518/queen.html

I actually saw it on the Independent (UK) - nice that Waterford got some exposure!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Quiet hm is talking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Sorry... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Aarnikotka wrote: »
    The Queen was shown the Waterford Great Charter Roll today by Eamon McEneaney (Curator of the Museum of Treasure):

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0518/queen.html

I actually saw it on the Independent (UK) - nice that Waterford got some exposure!

...and I'm sure she acted very regally whilst she was thinking how she wished them fookin vikings had killed all the Irish so she could have stayed at home instaead of making this trip to a country that would prefer she just go away anyway! Royal dingbat living off the sweat of the working man and woman! LMFAO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

chelloveks feel free to stay in Rutherford NJ where Eire beat Italy in d World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Did anyone hear Eamonn McEneaney on WLR this morning? He was talking about the charter and it was absolutely fascinating. I have seen the charter in the museum, and it is impressive, but I had no idea how interesting it was till I heard him talking.

He said something to the effect that it was such a special thing that it compared with the Book of Kells in tourist interest (he didn't actually say that but it was something like that) - I would love to see it displayed with the kind of drama, explanation and photographs as is given to the Book of Kells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

chelloveks wrote: »
    ...and I'm sure she acted very regally whilst she was thinking how she wished them fookin vikings had killed all the Irish so she could have stayed at home instaead of making this trip to a country that would prefer she just go away anyway! Royal dingbat living off the sweat of the working man and woman! LMFAO!

What a mature point of view... if you were living in the Middle Ages that is! Surely it's time for everyone to move on & try to get on with each other. It's not as if Ireland was the only county England ruled, oppressed & treated badly - cf. Australia, India, most of Africa etc.
    In this day & age surely it's time for us to come to terms with the past & move forward. I struggle to comprehend the mindset of people still beating the anti-English drum whilst they shop in British shops, listen to British music, watch British TV, read British magazines etc. & support British soccer teams. Get over it life's too short to be so angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

to invite a Royal to visit does it have to come from the President?

I think it´d be great to invite Charles &/or William & Kate to visit Waterford to see the scroll.

what better places for a Royal to stay (security wise) than Lismore castle or Waterford castle?

it´d be some boost tourism wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

comeraghs wrote: »
    to invite a Royal to visit does it have to come from the President?

I think it´d be great to invite Charles &/or William & Kate to visit Waterford to see the scroll.

what better places for a Royal to stay (security wise) than Lismore castle or Waterford castle?

it´d be some boost tourism wise!

The invitation only needs to come from the President if its an official state visit iirc.

Royals can come on private visits, I believe Prince Charles once stayed at Lismore Castle on the invitation of the Duke of Devonshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

looksee wrote: »
    Did anyone hear Eamonn McEneaney on WLR this morning? He was talking about the charter and it was absolutely fascinating. I have seen the charter in the museum, and it is impressive, but I had no idea how interesting it was till I heard him talking.

He said something to the effect that it was such a special thing that it compared with the Book of Kells in tourist interest (he didn't actually say that but it was something like that) - I would love to see it displayed with the kind of drama, explanation and photographs as is given to the Book of Kells.

I didn't hear it but if there's one man who could do it justice, it's Eamonn. He knows everything!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

And who's goin to cough up another 10 million to host any more " visits" yes that what it cost per day for the commander n chief of the royal forces to come over and sign off on various documents, keeping the crowns claim on landbanks,ports and natural resources intact

And as for movin on why shud anyone forget parts of our history that don't suit them,after all the royal forces are still pillaging and plundering & mudering in iraq and afhganistan ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

In this day & age surely it's time for us to come to terms with the past & move forward. I struggle to comprehend the mindset of people still beating the anti-English drum whilst they shop in British shops, listen to British music, watch British TV, read British magazines etc. & support British soccer teams.

True, this is a shockingly hypocrytical attitude :eek:

It's time we all moved on and boycott British shops, boycott British music, boycott British TV, boycott British magazines etc. & boycott British soccer teams. :D

Advertisement