Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native Hedge

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi folks, I hope i haven't missed a similar thread to this, so here goes.....

I'm looking to buy the plants needed for a native hedge (hawthorn, blackthorn, hazel, ash etc and even possibly a few bigger trees like oak to throw in too). The site is 52 meters long and in full sun.

My questions are.......

1. Any other must have plants to include?

2. Any tips for where to buy at this late stage. (I've been in touch with Future Forests in Cork and their stocks are quite low).

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Try Buds nursery in Cavan.they advertise on donedeal and have a website...

http://www.budsnursery.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

You could also add holly as its evergreen and for its berries. You could add some native fruit trees and some climbers such as honeysuckle and rambling roses.

You're better off waiting until the dormant season between October and March and planting bareroot whips. It'll be cheaper than potted plants, they will grow faster and they will not require as much watering.

Seedsavers in Clare are a good source for getting these plants and Coillte also propogate native hedgerow plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

I have a native hedge, which is 75% whitethorn. The rest intermixed with the whitethorn are blackthorn, guelder rose, hazel, spindle, common ash, holly, gorse, elder, wych elm, pedunculated oak, mountain ash, willow, Irish bird cherry, Irish crab apple and common birch.

Your better off planting in spring using barerooted plants (alot cheaper). Plant a double row of plants. Space plants 15 cm from each other. Plant with farmyard manure. Make sure you keep the hedge well weeded in the first couple of years. A native hedge is without doubt the most beautiful hedge you can have and is excellent for wildlife:), unlike most non-native rubbish hedges.

Make sure you keep the gorse, willow and elder trimmed back or else they will drown slower growing plants like blackthorn.

Don't put in beech or sycamore (non-native) and they cast a dark shade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Try Tulley Nurseries in Novemeber. Got privet whips last year and they are flying. Think they were 70c each - almost 1 meter high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be much cheaper to wait till spring next year, as you won't be able to get bare root stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Thanks for all the replies folks.........Very good advice!! I knew I should have gotten my act together a lot earlier in the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I have a mixture of whitethorn, guelder rose, holly, field maple, crab apple, nice mixture, its still a work in progress.... 4th year growth now, thickening up nicely.

Secman

Advertisement