Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

license question about mod

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

on the form for the license it has the box for the mod as you all know but can you tick it and buy a mod later on to keep your options open for it or do you have to have it from the start?!
    could i buy a rifle now and tick mod and then maybe in year or so get a mod?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

whiteley91 wrote: »
    on the form for the license it has the box for the mod as you all know but can you tick it and buy a mod later on to keep your options open for it or do you have to have it from the start?!
    could i buy a rifle now and tick mod and then maybe in year or so get a mod?

It would seem the logical thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

i wasn't too sure if you had to have one bought as well at the time! well that clears that up! thank u! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

whiteley91 wrote: »
    i wasn't too sure if you had to have one bought as well at the time! well that clears that up! thank u! :)

There was a long time when nobody even knew how to go about applying for a mod.

I believe they are almost a necessity for anyone seriously into their hunting with centrefire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I was only talking to my gun dealer about this last week. You can apply for the 's' on your card but not have one bought at the time.

I don't have one purchased yet (I'm waiting for the cert to come through) but will buy one as soon as I get the rifle. I also don't see there being an issue with applying for a silencer, being granted the right and then never getting one.

Or maybe there is an issue with that, I don't know....

would it make it harder to get the license? this would be my first one? its for a .22 semi auto so not exactly huge but grand for what i want it for!
    By the way anyone have dealings with FO in kildare? does it take long to come through? i heard three months but i have also heard of people only waiting a few weeks!

• Advertisement

The time can vary but I think the average is one month.

I would include a letter with your application saying you want it to protect your ears and to be kinder to the country side. Also if there is cattle/horses in the land where you plan to shoot say that also.

I was told by a guard the other day that the legal requirement is that they have to have some form of an answer for you by 3 months.

EDIT: lying on the application, like saying there are horses on the land where you shoot when their isn't, will come back to bite you in the ass....if they ring the farmer who has no cattle and he says so! hehe.

thats an absolute brilliant idea! haha kinder to my ears i like to see the guards face when he reads that! thanks for the advice will attach a letter of some sort saying i have sensitive hearing and dont want to scare live stock away! ha :D

Ehm, I'm serious....ask any gun dealer what you should include with an application for a silencer and they will say the same.

I wasn't going to purchase a mod until I was with the rifle owner that sold me the firearm I have applied for and he took the mod off of it. I have a weak left ear (from drumming live for a long time with no ear plugs) and the thing was ringing for hours afterwards.

EDIT: To be honest, what other reasons would you want to get a mod for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

when i ask'd about a moderator for the c.f, i was told that they are not likely to issue it as they see it as not giving the deer a sporting chance:confused: , i then told them that i wasn't getting it for deer as i intend on using it for vermin (which they had already been told when they ask'd about the deer stalking course, i'm a non-resident, and it's the can of worms that is the 22-250) i explained that i had the thing zero'd for the mod on and i'd have to re- zero every time i cross'd the border so i was then told, "ok, we'll put a note on saying you are permitted to have a mod" but when i got the licence there was no mention of it, i ask'd the fo and he said " sure if you get any bother and give me a ring"

Advertisement