Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus 150 Route

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

The Dublin Bus Route 150 has changed since the 15th of May.

I used to get it into/home from work every day until we moved offices. It would take me approx 40mins to get home. Leaving work at 5, walking to the nearest stop, waiting for the bus, and then the journey - total time was only about 40mins-50mins max.

Today I had to get this Bus Route home from work for the first time since September. I got on the Bus at 4pm, and I was not off the bus until 5:25pm.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this new route out for the 150 or if anyone has any complaints about it. My complaint would be that at 4pm there was no traffic on the roads, it shouldn't have taken that long to get home. I'd hate to think what its like at 6pm coming home from work!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

It's like they changed the route just so they could hit every possible speedbump going into town :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I havent gotten it yet but I presume the biggest problem is Clogher Road? I don't see the logic in the route change. It was a bit circuitous before but now it seems far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I havent gotten it yet but I presume the biggest problem is Clogher Road? I don't see the logic in the route change. It was a bit circuitous before but now it seems far worse.

The reason for the route change was due to the 121 being done with which meant no buses going through The Tenters. So they basically combined the 150 and 121 and made a new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

xLollyx wrote: »
    The Dublin Bus Route 150 has changed since the 15th of May.

I used to get it into/home from work every day until we moved offices. It would take me approx 40mins to get home. Leaving work at 5, walking to the nearest stop, waiting for the bus, and then the journey - total time was only about 40mins-50mins max.

Today I had to get this Bus Route home from work for the first time since September. I got on the Bus at 4pm, and I was not off the bus until 5:25pm.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this new route out for the 150 or if anyone has any complaints about it. My complaint would be that at 4pm there was no traffic on the roads, it shouldn't have taken that long to get home. I'd hate to think what its like at 6pm coming home from work!!

Yesterday or indeed any day this week is not a sound basis for judging the effectivenss of the bus service.

There were widespead traffic diversions in operation due to the Queen's visit and buses were severely delayed across the network as a result.

Wait until next week after Obama has left and try it again - it certainly should not take much longer than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mervuedude

Well I've given it a week and it's a shambles. They moved it off a road with a bus lane to a road with a school and no bus lane (Clogher Road). Then it traverses every mickey mouse road between the canal and the city and gets stuck at the junction of Cork St and the Coombe. Most people on the bus were shaking their heads in disbelief.

Also I've noticed an increasing number of people getting off the bus at "Star Bingo" and crossing over to the Childrens Hospital to hop on a 77 or whatever comes along. Thanks Dublin Bus, you've added an extra 20-30 minutes to my journey each morning and evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 shadydivott

iv got it a few times recently and it definatly adds over 20mins on trip even off peek....all the corners and stopping and starting it made me feel sea sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

all the corners and stopping and starting it made me feel sea sick

Ha! I bet the speed ramps and horribly damaged road surfaces in the Tenters don't help :p I'm well used to that now from the 121 but still, on a hungover morning, it can get you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's absolutely diabolical. I'm glad I don't rely full time on the bus anymore.

Some of the roads are unbelievable, plenty of "No, no, he can't POSSIBLY be going to turn into that road!" moments. And the number of junctions where if one bus meets another going the opposite way, there's not a snowball's chance in hell they're going to get past one another.

I feel for the drivers on that route...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It was like a scenic tour of Dublin housing, was sure it was about to drive across gardens at some point. It's a bus I get to my friend's house so I'm not well used to it..paranoid the whole way until I saw Crumlin village. Bit of a mad route change alright.

Kensington wrote: »
    It's absolutely diabolical. I'm glad I don't rely full time on the bus anymore.

Some of the roads are unbelievable, plenty of "No, no, he can't POSSIBLY be going to turn into that road!" moments. And the number of junctions where if one bus meets another going the opposite way, there's not a snowball's chance in hell they're going to get past one another.

I feel for the drivers on that route...

DB were going to remove the service from The Tenters area of the liberties, but the locals complained.

• Advertisement

gov want us to use public transport.....i did use 150 bus but its back to the car from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

It used to be a reasonable service, but now I walk to Templeogue. A service destroyed. Wait now until Dublin Bus move its terminus closer to Crumlin because no one takes it all the way to Willington anymore. That's because it would be quicker to walk the direct route from town than endure this tour of south inner city Dublin.

ankles wrote: »
    It used to be a reasonable service, but now I walk to Templeogue. A service destroyed. Wait now until Dublin Bus move its terminus closer to Crumlin because no one takes it all the way to Willington anymore. That's because it would be quicker to walk the direct route from town than endure this tour of south inner city Dublin.

How much longer is it taking? Where is the holdup?

DB is caught between a rock and a hard place here - they have to cut costs, hence the merger with the 121.

However, at the same time there were howls of protest in the Tenters when it was announced that the buses were being removed from the area.

Hence DB had to change the plan and reroute the 150 via that area.

its taking 20 mins longer at least.....holdups at kildare rd clougher rd and tenters on way in and out.....i think main problem is that it meanders around the tenters area and clougher rd where in the past it just went up crumlin rd.....the service is no use to anyone traveling from orwell to city anymore......walk to templeogue and get a diff bus....or just drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ankles wrote: »

Initially I found it bad but the route is no slower than the old route. Although some of the roads are borderline passable (O'Donovan road is too narrow for buses) you skip all the traffic on the Crumlin road which was a big bottleneck.

I usually cycle into work but I would get the bus from Terminus to Terminus at peak times and I find it takes approx 40-50 minutes (getting the 5.10 bus to Rossmore) and about the same going into town (7.50 bus into Fleet Street)

Shaydivott I live in Orwell and I would still get the 150 over walking into the village. 15 buses are no more regular than the 150. Also, in the past it did not just "go up Crumlin Road". That road is particularly bad for traffic, as is the multitude of traffic lights along Cork Street.

delta bravo you make a good point about crumlin rd and cork st......however its the fact that you are just drifting around the tenters like a lost culchie tryin to get to croker that gets me.....it is defo a longer trip ....maybe not as noticable at peek times....but with a few pints on board at 10pm not good....

By the sounds of things this is more a perception thing than reality in terms of the bus taking longer at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

its taking 20 mins longer at least.....holdups at kildare rd clougher rd and tenters on way in and out.....i think main problem is that it meanders around the tenters area and clougher rd where in the past it just went up crumlin rd.....the service is no use to anyone traveling from orwell to city anymore......walk to templeogue and get a diff bus....or just drive

How could it be held up in the Tenters? There's no traffic and it just passes through.Drifting around the tenters? It goes through in about 3 minute!

lxflyer wrote: »
    By the sounds of things this is more a perception thing than reality in terms of the bus taking longer at peak times.

This and...
    How could it be held up in the Tenters? There's no traffic and it just passes through.Drifting around the tenters? It goes through in about 3 minute!

This.

Back in the 121 days you might have got a bit of a traffic jam on Donore Ave leading up to the SCR but that's rare these days. And well you'd be lucky to count 10 cars driving from when you get onto Ardee St to the top of Donore Ave.

there is a bus lane each direction from st lukes ave to the barn.......its called a bus lane for a reason......the gov spend a lot of money developing bus lanes and cause a lot of disruption to all kinds of traffic in doing so and when they complete them they divert the busses away......:confused: god forbid someone mite hae to walk from donore ave to cork st to have a choice of about 12 busses

• Advertisement

there is a bus lane each direction from st lukes ave to the barn.......its called a bus lane for a reason......the gov spend a lot of money developing bus lanes and cause a lot of disruption to all kinds of traffic in doing so and when they complete them they divert the busses away......:confused: god forbid someone mite hae to walk from donore ave to cork st to have a choice of about 12 busses

Isn't the whole point of numerous bus routes is to accomdate as many people as possibly, having 6 or however many there are, go down Cork St isn't pratical imo.

Plus on a side note, The Tenters Assiocation fought for years to get the 121 route which started off with the old IMP Bus, and then again fought to get the 150 to go through the area. The Tenters houses a large number of elderly people so go and tell them to walk to Cork St to get a bus.

Yes, there are plenty of buses running along Cork Street - not a lot of people living on Cork Street nowadays though. Changing one bus route to run through a built up area (and allowing them to save money by dropping another) is hardly a big deal except to people exaggerating the extra time it takes.
    Isn't the whole point of numerous bus routes is to accomdate as many people as possibly, having 6 or however many there are, go down Cork St isn't pratical imo.

Plus on a side note, The Tenters Assiocation fought for years to get the 121 route which started off with the old IMP Bus, and then again fought to get the 150 to go through the area. The Tenters houses a large number of elderly people so go and tell them to walk to Cork St to get a bus.

The retention of a bus route was really down to those elderly people - my neighbours were up in arms and refused to take it lying down.

Personally, I rarely used the 121 because it was so infrequent. I use the150 very regularly.

The retention of a bus route was really down to those elderly people - my neighbours were up in arms and refused to take it lying down.

Personally, I rarely used the 121 because it was so infrequent. I use the150 very regularly.

Not all elderly people, my mother was around in the Youth Centre giving it loads at the meeting.:D

150 is a great bus imo, gets me from Donore Ave to work in Ashleaf SC in 12 mins or thereabouts. And into town in about 15 mins.

Not all elderly people, my mother was around in the Youth Centre giving it loads at the meeting.:D

150 is a great bus imo, gets me from Donore Ave to work in Ashleaf SC in 12 mins or thereabouts. And into town in about 15 mins.

Apologies for prematurely aging your mother :D

Let`s just say it wasn't the youth of the area who kicked up a stink!

it must have been nice to be asked for your opinion by dublin bus and to have local meetings in relation to the changes. out here in the sticks we were told nothing and the changes were made without consultation

it must have been nice to be asked for your opinion by dublin bus and to have local meetings in relation to the changes. out here in the sticks we were told nothing and the changes were made without consultation

We weren't so much asked it was moreso residents got onto our local politicians who arranged the meeting with Dublin Bus, the Tenters Association probably helped too. It's called being pro-active did you attempt to get onto your local politicians with regards to this?

Think something similar happened in Inchicore with regards to the 19 bus aswell, the locals and the local politicians got a meeting with Dublin Bus and as of now the bus is still going the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Think something similar happened in Inchicore with regards to the 19 bus aswell, the locals and the local politicians got a meeting with Dublin Bus and as of now the bus is still going the same route.

Same thing happened in Artane/Beaumont. They tried to get rid of the 20b but all the locals went mental. So the route remains the same, except it's now called the 14 and goes all the way to Dundrum too.

We weren't so much asked it was moreso residents got onto our local politicians who arranged the meeting with Dublin Bus, the Tenters Association probably helped too. It's called being pro-active did you attempt to get onto your local politicians with regards to this?

if you read my post i said we were told nothing the change just happened.....there was no mention of it, it just happened

if you read my post i said we were told nothing the change just happened.....there was no mention of it, it just happened

Well I know on the 121 route in the 2 weeks leading up to it's final journey Dublin Bus were handing out flyers on the buses during rush hour about alternative routes and the new 150.

• Advertisement

There was a full consultation process on the Dublin Bus website, the plans were advertised in local papers and they held several meetings.

All of this took place over a month and a half before the changes took place.

Advertisement