Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade toys?

• 18-05-2011 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

hi guys just wondering if anyone had some tips on keeping our collie cross busy!

he is walked everyday but im just looking for something to keep him occupied and entertain him

money is tight at the mo so was wondering if there was any cheap homemade toys we could make or even games we could play with him

he has the usual balls/ropes/ kongs but they only hold his attention for a few mins at a time he is full of fun and energy !!
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LovelyHurlin

We try a few homemade/free options with our fella.
    You could try:

- Freezing one of his daily feeds. Just put his dry food into his bowl, cover with water and put in the freezer. We find this keeps our fella busy for awhile if we are out. He has to lick and work at the food to get at it.

- Get friendly with your butcher! Nothing keeps our fella entertained like a bone (pop it in the freezer and it will last even longer for him!).

- Use empty plastic milk/coke bottles. Put some dry treats inside and put the lid back on. He will have to chew at it to get the treats out.

Hope you find these helpfull. They work for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spitfire_24

our collie loves the "go find!" game...i give her the commands to sit and wait in the hall while i hide her favourite squeaky toy somewhere in the house. when i return i tell her to go find it and off she runs :D collies are pretty smart and they cotton on to the game pretty quickly! although occassionally, bran still returns sans squeaky toy but triumphantly holding a sock :o
    fetch is still her ultimate favourite and we now throw two tennis balls and she has to fetch both of them back to us before she gets the reward. obviously she cant bring back both at the same time so she has the extra challenge and excitment of having to find the second ball, loves it!
    we also hide treats under upside down plastic flower pots which she has to sniff out and then tip over the pot to get to the treat.
    we have kongs too but she just got bored with them on her own. loves to chew on bones though!
    and agility is fantastic for collies, bought an agility set on zooplus.ie few months ago and its been brilliant. its durable, lightweight, easy to assemble and store. found it really helped brans attention as she had to watch me for commands. hope that helps!

Advertisement