Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stumped

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

i got wireless broadband in my gaf on mon so i fished out my psp which you can use to access the internet wirelessly i havent a clue how to get it to connect with the signal think im doing it right but keeps telling me"A CONNECTION ERROR HAS OCCURRED THE ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN THE IP ADDRESS TIMED OUT"
    anybody know what i should do??:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

listenup wrote: »
    i got wireless broadband in my gaf on mon so i fished out my psp which you can use to access the internet wirelessly i havent a clue how to get it to connect with the signal think im doing it right but keeps telling me"A CONNECTION ERROR HAS OCCURRED THE ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN THE IP ADDRESS TIMED OUT"
    anybody know what i should do??:rolleyes:

A detailed description of how you actually tried to connect it would help.

Also, have you ever managed to connect your PSP to anyone else's wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

i choose web settings and go into SCAN it then scans for wireless signals i choose my signal and then it connects and makes an attempt for about 30 secs then comes back with the message that the attempt to obtain the ip address has timed out and thats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Does anything else connect automatically, like a laptop or smartphone? If they do, the issues is with the PSP, if not, maybe your wireless network isn't configured correctly and isn't giving out IP addresses. (I.e the DHCP server isn't enabled. This would be unusual though.)

I don't know anything the PSP, does it support all forms of wireless security - for example, WPA? I'm guessing here, but maybe the PSP doesn't support the security settings on your wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I know the DS can not do WPA & WPA2, check the Sony site and what encryption you AP is using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Wireless.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi.im.fred

change your router to WEP and it should work ok

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As mentioned above it appears that the psp can only do wep however you can upgrade the firmware so that it will do wpa (http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/2136371?start=0&tstart=0)

It maybe (and is most likely) that your wireless network is using wpa.

(wep is an earlier form of wireless security and virtually useless nowadays)

So if you haven't already done so update the firmware on the psp and see if that solves your problem.

To see if there are any other problems you could temporarily turn off the security altogether on your router and see if the psp will connect.

Advertisement