Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carp Lakes in the Midlands?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I've just started fishing and I'm interested in fishing for carp. Can anyone recommend some good lakes for beginners in Laois or surrounding counties? I'd be interested in joining a club where I could hopefully get some tips from members.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

www.laoisanglingcentre.ie

In Coolrain.

They have two trout lakes, one fly only and one fly and worm. They also have another lake with lots of small carp and tench.

Might be perfect to get you started before tackling the 40 pounders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dace11

I have fished the lakes in Coolrain. Its has a rocky bottom and fishing against the small island at the back of the lake (Its small) or fishing into the channel between the lake and the island will work.

Lift method works great but Ive had the most success fishing off the bottom with just one shot on and watching the line.

Bait - sweetcorn and bread. Worms (you can buy them in the reception area) Its vertually un-fished because the venue concentrates more on the Rainbow trout lakes that are amazing.

A day ticket cost 15-20 euros depending on the time of year. John at the desk will tell you if anything has been caught lately and on what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dace11 wrote: »
    I have fished the lakes in Coolrain. Its has a rocky bottom and fishing against the small island at the back of the lake (Its small) or fishing into the channel between the lake and the island will work.

Lift method works great but Ive had the most success fishing off the bottom with just one shot on and watching the line.

Bait - sweetcorn and bread. Worms (you can buy them in the reception area) Its vertually un-fished because the venue concentrates more on the Rainbow trout lakes that are amazing.

A day ticket cost 15-20 euros depending on the time of year. John at the desk will tell you if anything has been caught lately and on what.

how big are the carp in the lake? thinking of taking a day or 2 off work for some carping soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ray C

I've heard a few mixed reports about the coarse lake in Coolrain. I heard that the carp are very small. I fished the trout lakes twice and wasn't overly impressed with the place (for reasons that I won't get into on a public forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dace11

how big are the carp in the lake? thinking of taking a day or 2 off work for some carping soon enough

The biggest I have pulled out was a 4lb mirror. I don't think there are any double figure fish in there. It's good for a match angler looking to land a good haul. It's perfect for a beginner looking to learn how to fish for carp. Learning how they feed and patrol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dace11 wrote: »
    The biggest I have pulled out was a 4lb mirror. I don't think there are any double figure fish in there. It's good for a match angler looking to land a good haul. It's perfect for a beginner looking to learn how to fish for carp. Learning how they feed and patrol.

no worries. might give it a go. really want to head back to gaulmoylenstown this summer.

Advertisement