Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making yogurt

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

does anyone make their own yogurt? Is it work doing? Do you need a special thermometre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Anyone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DavieDude

Heya :D

I made my own yoghurt on numerous occasions. I don't use a special thermometer, to be honest I did not use any thermometer. I just brought the milk to the foaming stage just under the boil, let it cool before adding the culture to a Luke warm stage. I added a few drops of vanilla extract to it for flavour, also adding some powdered milk to the milk before bringing the milk to the boil to allow the finished product to become extra creamy. I then used an old cool box and poured hot almost boiling water into it and closed it. I left it for a few minutes before i emptied out the water, I then lined with a towel and placed the yoghurt in (which has been poured into a warm clean jar). I then wrapped up the product with about 4 towels and kept the boxed well packed. I sealed the box and left it in a warm area of the house for 6-8 hours (leave longer for a more sour taste). Once finished, take it out and give the yoghurt a stir, and place in the fridge. Mix in some fruit or add other things such a nuts for your own taste. Very easy. I have a recipe I can email if you just PM me. Its a lot better than my description here :D

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I've used the recipe below and was happy with the results. I used a thermos because it sounded less complicated. Definitely worth a try.

Homemade yogurt
    You don't have to add the dried milk powder, but it helps to thicken the yogurt. Makes 500ml.
    500ml whole milk
    25g dried milk powder
    3 tbsp live, plain, whole milk yogurt
    Put the milk in a saucepan and whisk in the dried milk powder. Place over a medium heat until the milk steams and bubbles appear around the edge. Pour into a warmed mixing bowl and leave to cool until a thermometer reads 46C (or, in the absence of a thermometer, dip in a scrupulously clean finger and if you can keep it there for 20 seconds without causing undue pain, it'll be about right).
    Whisk in the live yogurt, then cover the bowl with a lid or clingfilm, wrap it in a clean towel and put it somewhere warm - an airing cupboard or above a radiator, say. Alternatively, pour it into a warmed, wide-mouthed Thermos flask.
    Check the yogurt after six to eight hours, or leave it overnight. If it's thickened and looks set, pour it into a clean, airtight container and refrigerate. Homemade yogurt isn't as thick as commercial brands, so if you prefer a thicker yogurt, strain it through a muslin-lined sieve set over a bowl in the fridge for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I'm getting close to making my own - just made Indian cottage cheese a few times for various meals and used the whey to make chipattii.

Visited a cousin on a farm in New Zealand a couple of years ago (she's my 3rd cousin - their son looks disturbingly like me at the age of 6)

Her husband is a farmer/architect, just likes to live on a farm and takes on projects. A typical Kiwi he is always tinkering with things.
    They had this kit, easiyo, I think he was involved in its development - top it off twice a week and you get yogurt - its a kind of thermos yogurt maker - but it was impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

thanks for the replies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement