Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Tanks - Clan Wars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Probably won't make it tonight due to having a new joiners dinner to host.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

what ya doin nody, 'come dine with me' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Nody wrote: »
    Probably won't make it tonight due to having a new joiners dinner to host.

New joiner? You mean like a carpenter? :p

Not sure if I'll make it myself as I have to stay behind a supervise Eircom installing some new equipment.

If theyre quick I might make it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

copeyhagen wrote: »
    what ya doin nody, 'come dine with me' :D
    Sadly the big boss would not be happy don't ya know!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

karma_ wrote: »
    Lads,

I'm thinking of giving this a go, to alleviate the boredom. However, wanted to ask if would it be worth it. If it were to be played without actually spending anything, just how much of a disadvantage would it actually be?

Without premium I went up to a tier 7 JagdPanther. I only went with premium to make it quicker to bring in the XP and credits. You could easily clear the first few tiers of tanks in a couple hours and hold off on premium until the later, slower advancing tiers.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Without premium I went up to a tier 7 JagdPanther. I only went with premium to make it quicker to bring in the XP and credits. You could easily clear the first few tiers of tanks in a couple hours and hold off on premium until the later, slower advancing tiers.
    But be warned that it is more Eve style introduction to the game then WoW (i.e. you're dropped in the middle of it all and have to fend for yourself rather then taken step by step of your abilities).

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

But be warned that it is more Eve style introduction to the game then WoW (i.e. you're dropped in the middle of it all and have to fend for yourself rather then taken step by step of your abilities).

Wrong. You're put into tiered battled with contemporary tanks. It's only when you get up to tier 5 and 6 you get dropped into the middle of the heavyweights.

Gneez wrote: »
    Wrong. You're put into tiered battled with contemporary tanks. It's only when you get up to tier 5 and 6 you get dropped into the middle of the heavyweights.

If you're in tier 2/3, tier 5/6 are a HUGE difference. So he's not 'wrong'.

And its got nothing to do with being 'contemporary' - you can generally be matched with tanks up to 2 tiers higher. More in some cases.

Have a look:
    MM_chart_6.4.JPG

As you can see, a tier 4 light can be matched up to tier 9, a tier 3 SPG can be matched to tier 7 etc

Tebessa - El Halluf

Sicily - Lakeville

Same tank-time, same tank-channel!

I'm just gonna stick with the same ones until we win them!

If you're in tier 2/3, tier 5/6 are a HUGE difference. So he's not 'wrong'.

You pretty much repeated what I said, then you provided a chart to back it up, then you contradicted yourself by claiming him not to be wrong. Make up your mind eh?

• Advertisement

You pretty much repeated what I said, then you provided a chart to back it up, then you contradicted yourself by claiming him not to be wrong. Make up your mind eh?
    Well I was more referring to the "here's a tank go shoot stuff" style (i.e. like Even when you start of with a newbie plane in space) of the game rather then the WoW's now try ability 1 and see what it does, now go here and try ability 2.

Gneez - I don't see atnything in Nody's post suggesting he stated tier 8/9 - do you?? He said you're 'dropped into the middle of it' i.e there's no training, no practice, just off you go, learn yourself.

So he's not wrong.

You're the one that mentioned 'heavyweights' and 'contemporary' tanks lol I provided the chart to prove that you can be ranked a few tiers higher, and it's nothing to do with being 'contemporary'.

But keep it up, you're acting like a really cool guy ;)

I don't know what got your french frilly's in a twist the past few days, but quit with the attitude.

less chat in the clan wars thread guys.

should be around for both games tonight. last nights was sh1te, 4 tier 10s..

i think we should face up to the fact that the way it is at the moment, we will never get anywhere in the clan games. until its been radically chanegd around its a waste of time. its just another slaughter.

ill still play them, but im not expecting to ever have a fair matchup.

EDIT**
    why does the chart above go up to 12 for the tier battles.
    and is this actually accurate, some of it looks wrong, like a Lowe according to that will only fight 8,9,10? or only 8, 9, 10 in heavies?

less chat in the clan wars thread guys.

should be around for both games tonight. last nights was sh1te, 4 tier 10s..

i think we should face up to the fact that the way it is at the moment, we will never get anywhere in the clan games. until its been radically chanegd around its a waste of time. its just another slaughter.

ill still play them, but im not expecting to ever have a fair matchup.

EDIT**
    why does the chart above go up to 12 for the tier battles.
    and is this actually accurate, some of it looks wrong, like a Lowe according to that will only fight 8,9,10? or only 8, 9, 10 in heavies?

Thats the latest chart posted by Overlord based upon 6.4 update. So its definitely accurate.

I assume the tier 11/12 in the chart are there for future tanks.

The clan wars can be a pain, however we've been matched a fair few times against similar strength teams.

When we have maybe 50 players, with a number of tier 9 & 10's we'll be competitive.

If we also had everyone get together to work out tactics properly for some matches we'd give ourselves a better chance. Tactics can only get you so far, as no tactics in the world are gonna let a Tiger win against an IS7 no matter what you do.

For the guys that want to regularly play in the clan wars, it might be an idea to all get together even 1 night a week for an hour to work on tactics.

We can continually battle on 1 or 2 maps until we get good at them.

I might start another thread to see how people feel about 'training'.

I know the clan was not set up to be all serious and competitive, but for those that do want to take it up a notch, I have no problem organising something.

Also, I'm going to get a TS3 server rented, so you guys aren't relying on me to be at home to start up TS. I'll have that sorted in about a week.

some good points, if we had more 9 and 10s then there would be no need for training, just some tactics over ts would suffice.

theres hundreds of free ts servers you can create your own channels on, used to use them for mohaa and cod back in the day.

some good points, if we had more 9 and 10s then there would be no need for training, just some tactics over ts would suffice.

theres hundreds of free ts servers you can create your own channels on, used to use them for mohaa and cod back in the day.

I've checked out a lot of the free ones before, and there's no comparison to having your own TBH.

Even for admin rights and control over it etc also they generally only last for 24 hours and you've to register a new one, or it will be public or something. I found them just too messy, but they can get a job done if you're stuck.

The training would be to get the tactics down, even just 1 hour, 1 night a week would be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The training would be to get the tactics down, even just 1 hour, 1 night a week would be enough.

yeah I could do that, but it would have to be a decent time for me like 21:30ish

Auvers wrote: »
    yeah I could do that, but it would have to be a decent time for me like 21:30ish

Yep, any time that suits everyone is fine for training.

some good points, if we had more 9 and 10s then there would be no need for training, just some tactics over ts would suffice..

I found this little program that lets you look at the highest tank a member has in their Clan

this is the results on boards.ie Clan

INFO
    exbuzzz - - - - - - - LVL 10 - Maus
    Dangrim - - - - - - - LVL 9 - IS-4
    Paddygolightly - - - - - - - LVL 9 - IS-4
    Therminator36 - - - - - - - LVL 9 - VK4502 (P) Ausf. B
    IrishGrimReaper - - - - - - - LVL 8 - IS-3
    KAC_PDW - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Löwe
    Fionn_Mc_Coule - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Löwe
    TheSpearman - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Ferdinand
    theottovonbismark - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Löwe
    Pogoman - - - - - - - LVL 8 - PzKpfw V Panther
    mercenaryireland - - - - - - - LVL 8 - IS-3
    ordomalleus - - - - - - - LVL 8 - PzKpfw V Panther
    copeyhagen - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Löwe
    arghffs - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Löwe
    dublingar - - - - - - - LVL 8 - Löwe
    DeWinterZero - - - - - - - LVL 7 - KV-13
    Rogue_DotC - - - - - - - LVL 7 - VK 3002 (DB)
    ptegan - - - - - - - LVL 7 - Jagdpanther
    Ballbag101 - - - - - - - LVL 7 - T20
    akanewbie_ - - - - - - - LVL 7 - IS
    GrahamSoul - - - - - - - LVL 7 - Object 212
    garethn99 - - - - - - - LVL 7 - T29
    sionnach101 - - - - - - - LVL 7 - T20
    Eireabu - - - - - - - LVL 7 - IS
    Dublin_Gunner - - - - - - - LVL 7 - IS
    Tomyber - - - - - - - LVL 7 - PzKpfw VI Tiger
    sausageandeggs - - - - - - - LVL 6 - JagdPz IV
    Nutboy - - - - - - - LVL 6 - PzKpfw V-IV
    Rakanisheu - - - - - - - LVL 6 - VK3601(H)
    wozza_ - - - - - - - LVL 5 - PzKpfw IV
    mrmoriarty - - - - - - - LVL 5 - Т14
    irishjabu - - - - - - - LVL 5 - Churchill
    eoghanc10 - - - - - - - LVL 5 - M4A2E4
    Shiminay - - - - - - - LVL 5 - KV
    pguilfoyle - - - - - - - LVL 5 - T-34
    dsafrf341 - - - - - - - LVL 5 - KV

looking at these it wont take long until we start getting competitive, if the top 4 lads played regularly, we wouldn't take so much of a beating

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Thats the latest chart posted by Overlord based upon 6.4 update. So its definitely accurate.

I assume the tier 11/12 in the chart are there for future tanks.

The "tier" on the horizontal has nothing to do with tank tier, think of instead of battle level. The chart shows what tier tanks can fight at what battle level, it's a little confusing but once you figure out battle tier != tank tier it makes more sense.

• Advertisement

Thats cool.

In fairness, the top lads in the list are regularly on, GrimReaper is new, so a welcome addition.

Exbuzz has only been on 2 nights since we started (the first night, and then about 2 weeks ago) so I wouldn't be relying on him!

We've seen a proliferation of Lowe tanks lately - everyone is realising they're a money making machine!

Taking the top players, down to tier 7, we'd have a very competitive team in fairness.

I note it doesn't list the tanks in tier rank if ya get me (some tier 8's will be ranked above others etc).

But from that list:

IS4
    IS3
    IS3
    VK4502
    Ferdinand
    Lowe
    Lowe
    Lowe
    Lowe
    Lowe
    Lowe
    Panther
    Panther
    Jagdpanther
    Object 212

Would not be a team I'd like to face. Obviously, we might swap a panther or lowe for another arty, and a scout or two would be nice. But that's a damn strong team right there.

zil wrote: »
    The "tier" on the horizontal has nothing to do with tank tier, think of instead of battle level. The chart shows what tier tanks can fight at what battle level, it's a little confusing but once you figure out battle tier != tank tier it makes more sense.

Actually, it does ;) (well, kind of)

Check it out.

Take for instance a Tier 4 light vehicle. It can be matched up to a 'Level 9' battle - and if you then cross reference - yup, Tier 9.

Or a Tier 5 Medium, can be matched to 'Level 8' battle, and cross referencing shows in can be matched with some Tier 8's at the highest.

yeah DG looks good, should have my T-23 tonight so getting there slowly but surely

Thats cool.
    Taking the top players, down to tier 7, we'd have a very competitive team in fairness.

I note it doesn't list the tanks in tier rank if ya get me (some tier 8's will be ranked above others etc).

But from that list:

Would not be a team I'd like to face. Obviously, we might swap a panther or lowe for another arty, and a scout or two would be nice. But that's a damn strong team right there.
    You missed one IS-4 and both IS-4s have the 130mm gun (i.e. their gun is the IS-7 gun but on a weaker tank).

Having said that depending on the map having 4+ high level arties can be a real killer. I know I keep on harping about it but for example the S-51 with the 203mm can one shot an IS-4 (I took down a Jagdpanter to 12% from full with 1 round in an earlier clan battle for example). When I'm playing an IS-4 myself the one thing that scare me (beyond seeing a red Maus) is arties. Most other fire I can take several hits and keep going but arties will usually one or two shot me and even close hits (hi HE shells) will do noticable (double digit) damage to me beyond rooting me in place (usually in front of some enemy guns).

It can also be a nice killer if you can get the enemy halted in a charge as 4 arties all with HE will wreck havoc among the enemy even if missing (and they are likely to stop if met with two or three tanks in a choke).

You missed one IS-4 and both IS-4s have the 130mm gun (i.e. their gun is the IS-7 gun but on a weaker tank).

Having said that depending on the map having 4+ high level arties can be a real killer. I know I keep on harping about it but for example the S-51 with the 203mm can one shot an IS-4 (I took down a Jagdpanter to 12% from full with 1 round in an earlier clan battle for example). When I'm playing an IS-4 myself the one thing that scare me (beyond seeing a red Maus) is arties. Most other fire I can take several hits and keep going but arties will usually one or two shot me and even close hits (hi HE shells) will do noticable (double digit) damage to me beyond rooting me in place (usually in front of some enemy guns).

It can also be a nice killer if you can get the enemy halted in a charge as 4 arties all with HE will wreck havoc among the enemy even if missing (and they are likely to stop if met with two or three tanks in a choke).

How silly of me!

Yes, should be 2 x IS-4.

On the arty front, we have a few Hummels, an Object 212, and a couple of SU-8's iirc. But some of those would have to be chosen over a higher tier tank - i.e. Merc has an SU-8, but I'd rather his IS-3 ;)

I'm slowly grinding to GW Panther, about half way there, and so is Fionn.

In a month, we'll be in a MUCH better position I'd say.

I'm seriously starting to consider to restart my US line of arties as they appear to get the highest tier of arties now (and German tank line for armor...)

im actually falling in love with my su-152 now..i have had the first 122mm unlocked for ages and hated it, but now i have given it a chance im loving playing the tank again, should have enough xp for the second 122mm, which is the best dmg / pen gun in the game according to the forums, presuming thats in the reload time.

grinding towards my is-3, grinding towards my t20, grinding towards my su-51..its an awful lot of xp required though

Funny thing with the SU-51 is that the next tier up is exactly the same gun upgrade (180k exp to the arty itself), the tier above that has a 180mm (slightly better ROF, slightly lower damage) for 300k exp. Which has me asking myself why would I bother to continue with the SU-51 when there is no real upgrade in the next two tiers anyway (and higher tier arty means nothing as if something shoots at it they die anyway so the only thing that matters is the gun)...

Hence why I'm looking at the US line now instead.

Gneez - I don't see atnything in Nody's post suggesting he stated tier 8/9 - do you?? He said you're 'dropped into the middle of it' i.e there's no training, no practice, just off you go, learn yourself.

So he's not wrong.

You're the one that mentioned 'heavyweights' and 'contemporary' tanks lol I provided the chart to prove that you can be ranked a few tiers higher, and it's nothing to do with being 'contemporary'.

But keep it up, you're acting like a really cool guy ;)

I don't know what got your french frilly's in a twist the past few days, but quit with the attitude.

In this thread dublin gunner argues semantics rather than admit that he is wrong. Let me repeat this for you, in world of tanks, you fight against contemporary tanks that are within your ability to engage, so it is thus, not eve style jump-into-the-deep-end, and just because you have now got angsty and confrontational because someone pointed out your mistake, your circular and vague arguing is not going to change me being correct and you being wrong.

• Advertisement

In this thread dublin gunner argues semantics rather than admit that he is wrong. Let me repeat this for you, in world of tanks, you fight against contemporary tanks that are within your ability to engage, so it is thus, not eve style jump-into-the-deep-end, and just because you have now got angsty and confrontational because someone pointed out your mistake, your circular and vague arguing is not going to change me being correct and you being wrong.

Ok keep it up big man. Your right, I'm wrong. OK I get it. Not.

It was plainly obvious that Nody was stating there are no real training missions, no one to teach you how to play etc and you can get matched against much better tanks. You just thought you'd try be all high and mighty with your 'Wrong.' It was a terrible attempt at being a smart arse know-it-all, and you were attempting to contradict a statement you picked up wrong. Nowhere did Nody state you get matched with the big boys. You read what he wrote, and decided to take your own meaning from it. Pretty much like what happened in game too the other day too with me.

Good riddance.

Advertisement