Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop having a very weak signal

• 18-05-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i hope someone can help. I got a laptop a while back and i realized that the signal strength is quite weak compared to other devices. for example an iphone in my front room (router is upstairs) is getting about 40-50 % signal strength on the 802.11g draft where as my new laptop is only getting about 10% signal strength and a mere 10mbps rate. Now the laptop is running in 802.11n (2.4ghz) mode but my router is using a mix of g,b and n so i cant see why this is acting the way it is. Any ideas? Unfortunately i cant change my router over to 5ghz as i would like to because other devices can only run on 2.4ghz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

A cisco from upc by any chance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

no a DGL-4500 by dlink

Sh!tty wireless card?

Possibly im not sure how i can see if thats the problem. It would be quite annoying if that was the issue

steve_ wrote: »
    Possibly im not sure how i can see if thats the problem. It would be quite annoying if that was the issue

Try and get a loan of a plugin one, see if its any better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,328 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

change the channel on the router, otherwise it's probably just a poor internal antenna. Sadly the best fix would be a USB or PCI-slot network card. I'm not that preferential to the USB ones only because they eat up a modest chunk of CPU and memory to function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Check the power settings on your laptop wireless card.

Control Panel / Device Manager

Click on Network adapters, select your wireless Card, right-click and select Properties.

Depending on which wireless card you are using, there's an option in there to adjust the Transmit Power. Mine is in the Advanced Tab and is called Transmit Power.

Set it to maximum power if it's not already there.

You can also set the wireless mode a, a/b, a/b/g, a/b/g/n in there. You should try the 2nd last one. As far as I know if you have any other device which is not 802.11n connected to your n router, the router will switch back to a/b/g mode for all wireless devices connected to it.

Thanks for the replies. Here the the options i found but im not sure what to change, if any. Also when im in my frontroom (downstairs) the laptop is getting 3/5 bars on signal strength but is still running very very slow

unled2kv.jpg

Advertisement