Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpay on rent allowance

Options
  • 18-05-2011 10:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44

i made my rent allowance application in mid feb. its now mid may and i feel my application has been constantly slowed up. i suspect that the reason might be that they only have to start giving out payments from the date of their final decision on the matter? if i was to get back payments going back to my initial application of early feb i would be happy. anyone know how it works??

to say the least have been extremely disappointed with their operations/setup to date. i am a stonewall case of someone who needs this allowance yet i am beginning to give up on this almost

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When you wrote a letter to the CWO indicating your dissatisfaction, what was the response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You should be back dated to date of first application.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the CWO. If things are tight, ask for an interim payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

ekans wrote: »
    i made my rent allowance application in mid feb. its now mid may and i feel my application has been constantly slowed up. i suspect that the reason might be that they only have to start giving out payments from the date of their final decision on the matter? if i was to get back payments going back to my initial application of early feb i would be happy. anyone know how it works??

to say the least have been extremely disappointed with their operations/setup to date. i am a stonewall case of someone who needs this allowance yet i am beginning to give up on this almost

All claims for SWA are paid from date of application once a means test & all other relevant criteria are satisfied.

It sounds like your application is in a central rents unit?

If so, the back log is huge due to staffing restrictions & enormous numbers of applications.

Are you sure that you included all the documentation requested?

If not, double check with the relevant office.

Missing paperwork is the biggest causal factor for delays in awarding claims.

If all is in order & you are still not in receipt of a payment, then write directly to the Superintendent Community Welfare Officer requesting s/he looks into your case.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cungryhunt

ekans wrote: »
    i would be happy.
    Its good to know you would be happy with your free money that I have to pay for. Thumbs up! Makes it all seem worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

cungryhunt wrote: »
    Its good to know you would be happy with your free money that I have to pay for. Thumbs up! Makes it all seem worthwhile.

Thats a bit below the belt isnt it. If the OP is entitled to it they they should claim it, its not coming out of just your pocket directly and most likely they have paid in excess of this in taxes over the years themselves.

OP it should be back dated to the date of application. Go in and see your CWO rather than writing a letter or complaining and make it clear how bad your situation is. You must be in arrears by now? If you are paying your rent somehow they may not see it as urgent. Have to say though, when my hubbie lost his job a while back the cwo had it sorted within 4/5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LAPLAND

JUST TO UPDATE THIS ,THERE ARE ABSOLUTLY NO BACKPAYMENTS ANYMORE JUNE 2011

LAPLAND wrote: »
    JUST TO UPDATE THIS ,THERE ARE ABSOLUTLY NO BACKPAYMENTS ANYMORE JUNE 2011

What are you talking about?

Arrears are always issued once the claim has been assessed & awarded!!

Date of application is the normal criterion applied when calculating said arrears.

Claimants can apply for a payment to be backdated beyond this date (up to 6 months), which may be awarded if they can show that they had an entitlement.

However, they must give a satisfactory explanation for not having made a timely application.

OP, have you had any luck with your case?

Go in and see your CWO rather than writing a letter or complaining and make it clear how bad your situation is. You must be in arrears by now? If you are paying your rent somehow they may not see it as urgent.

This may not be possible if the OP is dealing with a rents unit.

They don't have a public office & communication is via phone, post or email.

If there is a significant delay & the OP is certain all documents have been submitted, & they have already contacted the CWO, then a note to the SCWO is the next appropriate action.

This is not to complain about the CWO, rather it is intended to highlight the serious delays in processing claims.

The service is severely understaffed due to the moratorium on hiring/replacing people.

Maternity, retirement, sick leave, etc. is not being covered.

So everyone suffers, service users & providers alike!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Teekasaurus

Sadly it is a service that has been hampered hugley by the moratorium. I became unemployed at the end of march. I didn't apply for Rent Allowance until recently because firstly, I had the cash to cover it and secondly because i'd hoped i'd have a new job by now. When I did begin the process I was sent to from one to the next to a third CWO. I had all my documentation together and the CWO actually praised me for being so organised. I only had to bring in a more recent paycheck from my partner.The CWO had said i would more than likely have my rent allowance by the 8th of June. So i trotted in the following day and there was a different CWO there, he was very rude to me. Asking me where i was from and then immediately asking me why was i there? Apparently my Apartment block is now handled in a central unit. None of the previous 3 CWO's had mentioned this. I explained this to the CWO and then he started giving out about his colleagues not knowing anything. So here i am, i barely got my rent paid this month. I ate jelly babies and crisps for lunch yesterday because thats all i had in the house and i've no cash for shopping. Does anyone have the number for the central unit please? I cant find it anywhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement