Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Navy at Kingstown April 1916

• 18-05-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

would anyone have any information re what Royal Navy presence was in place at Kingstown at the time of the Easter Rising or pointers to any resources for more information?

I understand there was a land based establishment plus some armed trawlers. HMT Sea Lark II being one of them and I expect HMY Helga was part of this set up too, both in anti-submarine roles(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There is a maritime museum in Dun Laoghaire which when re-opened may be a good additional source of information on this. I have a few original postcards from Kingstown pre-war and they show nothing but civilian traffic and a mail boat far as I recall. So outside of WW1/Rising there does not seem to have been much of a noticable presence.

there does appear to be very little info re the RN presence at the time. More appears to be available re Cork.

I've not been to the museum in Dun Laoghaire so might pencil in a visit next trip over.

2 recent acquisitions that have helped fill in some detail re the navy/ships of the era

The Seahound by Daire Brunicardi

Liffey Ships and Shipbuilding by Pat Sweeney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

here are a couple of pictures that might be of interest.

• Advertisement

I remember being at a militaria fair a few years ago, there were 2 pictures taken from a u-boat periscope from out at sea of the east Pier, Dun Laoghaire (formerly Kingstown). I didn't have a digital camera with me at the time to snap them but I will try to find out tomorrow (militaria fair) what the story is with them. I believe they are WW1 era but not 100% sure. It's possible they were WW2. Does anyone know if periscope photos were common practice in WW1 ?

have to say I don't know about photography thru periscopes. Would be interested to find out more.

I could be way out & this is going back a few years but I think the guy who had them also had RMS Leinster items. I will post back here when I know more. One person I saw them with will be there and the dealer who had them may also be there.

picked up a copy of "Secret Victory: Ireland and the War at Sea 1914-1918" by John and Liam Nolan. Not much about Kingstown but quite a bit about Queenstown.

http://www.librarything.com/work/9729486/book/91332939

just finished the above mentioned book and was quite impressed with the work of the RN and the American's based in Queenstown. They seemed to have established a rapport amongst the officers. Nice website here relating to the Queenstown operations with a good picture of an early, hand thrown depth charge

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/bayly's%20navy.htm

• Advertisement

have moved onto :

Danger Zone. The Queenstown Command by E. Keble Chatterton.

have this on the way :

My Mystery Ships by Vice-Admiral Gordon Campbell

and hope to acquire a reasonably priced copy of :

Pull Together! By Admiral Sir Lewis Bayly

All seem to give some insight into the use of Queenstown in WW1 with brief touches re the Aud and the Easter Rising.

a nice little webpage with info about the Royal Navy in Queenstown.

http://www.corkshipwrecks.net/Navalfleetsqueenstown.htm

Advertisement