Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't give me PPS number

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I am currently renting a house through a letting agency and I am in recipt of rental supplement from the HSE. On the form I had to fill out for the HSE it requested the landlords PPS number. The letting agency has told me that their client (landlord) has lived out of this country for over five years and does not have to give his PPS number. The HSE are looking for the PPS number again and are now going to stop payment to me if I don't get the PPS number.
    If I don't get the PPS number and the money is withheld by the HSE I will be forced to move out as I will be unable to pay the full rent by myself.

Would I be correct in saying that all landlords regardless of where they are living must give their PPS number as this would be tax evasion.
    I will be contacting threshold tomorrow but I just thought off the top of someones head they could give me some advice regarding this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't believe that the landlord has any legal obligation to provide you with their PPS number.

However, since they are not living within the state, it is your obligation to withhold 20% of your rent for tax, and pay that to the Revenue.

Inform the letting agent, that as per Irish tax law, you're now going to withhold 20%, and you will quickly get the PPS number, and you should also inform the revenue that the landlord is not a resident within the country, and ask them for advice on how to deal with rent payment.

You could also talk to Threshold and the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Thanks for the response. When claiming Tax back for rent paid ( which I have done when in full time employment) the landlord had to supply the PPS number so I don't understand how this circumstances would be any different.
    I will be talking with threshold tomorrow.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask the letting agent for a letter stating the landlord is refusing to furnish his PPSN and give it to the HSE, they'll take it up with the letting agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Landlord does not need to supply their PPS number for rent relief, it's an optional field.

For rent allowance, it's likely to be a bit different, but does a foreign landlord necessarily have to have a PPS number? (are they even entitled to one, if they don't live here?).

Thanks for the responses. I have been onto Threshold and he does have to supply it.
    Thanks again for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Paulw wrote: »
    I don't believe that the landlord has any legal obligation to provide you with their PPS number.

However, since they are not living within the state, it is your obligation to withhold 20% of your rent for tax, and pay that to the Revenue.

Inform the letting agent, that as per Irish tax law, you're now going to withhold 20%, and you will quickly get the PPS number, and you should also inform the revenue that the landlord is not a resident within the country, and ask them for advice on how to deal with rent payment.

You could also talk to Threshold and the PRTB.

The obligation to deduct income tax at source only applies where the rent is paid directly to the landlord. Is the agent in receipt of the rent here? If the agent is in receipt of the rent it's paid gross. Additionally, in such circumstances the agent would know the PPS number as it would take on the obligation to account for the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 focuslfc

I couldnt get the pps number of one of my previous landlords so the tax office said that if you provide their name and address they can get it themselves. Maybe try that route?

I pay the rent directly into the landlords bank account in Ireland. The letting agency aren't involved in this transaction. I have spoken with Threshold and I will be sending a letter to the agency (as per instructions from Threshold)as they are in contact with the landlord where as I don't even have his address. I will wait for a response and go from there.
    Have always dealt with LL directly in the past and they were all great.
    This letting agent isn't so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

OLD THREAD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement