Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Pulling out lampposts in the island next to the taxi rank in the middle of college green this morning, I presume in preparation and with a view to having a stage in front of Trinity...

Can we leave them out???

(leaves to post on Archiseek)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

xebec wrote: »
    Pulling out lampposts in the island next to the taxi rank in the middle of college green this morning, I presume in preparation and with a view to having a stage in front of Trinity...

Went past College Green tonight and seems the stage is being bulit on the car park of Bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

What time is everyone planning to be there at? I was thinking around 12, but some I know are planning to go in a good bit earlier, as it's only 25,000 capacity. I don't care about being near the front, I just want to make sure that I get in, and preferably get a place middle-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Stags Head, pissed by 1 PM with a secret service agent (Rene Russo lookalike) on my arm by 2 PM. And the dream lives on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jigglypuff wrote: »
    I just want to make sure that I get in, and preferably get a place middle-back.
    Just like Travis (Bickle), yeah? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Whats the level of threat of Islamic extremists in Ireland as security threats?
    If there was one nut surely there is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm also wondering what time people will be heading in at? Not sure what time to aim for myself.

I'm also wondering what time people will be heading in at? Not sure what time to aim for myself.

Well for all shows such as this usually people leave at six in morning to be there at about 8.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is Dame Street closed to pedestrians too? It's very unclear if it'll just be for vehicles. Not being able to cross it will be a pain trying to get to work.

caseyann wrote: »
    Well for all shows such as this usually people leave at six in morning to be there at about 8.

Oh do you really reckon be there for 8?
    :/

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Is Dame Street closed to pedestrians too? It's very unclear if it'll just be for vehicles. Not being able to cross it will be a pain trying to get to work.

http://www.thejournal.ie/details-of-traffic-restrictions-for-obama-visit-finalised-141190-May2011/

Looks like a mess.

Oh do you really reckon be there for 8?
    :/

Have a look at the mess i put on the post above.

What's the traffic restrictions got to do with how many people will show up?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

From 0600hrs on Monday 24th May to 1100hrs on Tuesday 24th May the following roads and adjacent lanes will be closed
    Merrion Street Upper
    Merrion Square West
    Merrion Square South
    Baggot Street (Merrion Row – Pembroke Street)
    Merrion Row

does this mean that Holles Street will be closed ?

and if so, if i have some sort of ID to show i worked there would i be able to get through?

caseyann wrote: »
    Thanks although it is still unclear how, as a pedestrian, I can get from Georges Street to the north side of the city while Obama is at College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Another f**king nonsense, still so long as the people who count are happy sure its grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I can't believe we have to endure another day of this restrictions crap. I work up in Stoneybatter, and last week was a nightmare!We were basically made feel like criminals every where we went, and penned in like cattle every time that sponger the queen was on the move. I don't mind Obama as much, because at least he is an elected representative.

Im meeting a client out in Tallaght at 11 on Monday, I say the traffic will be a nightmare coming back into the city?What time is he speaking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm thinking about going to see him, what time is everyone going to arrive there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I can't believe all the whinging. Part of living in a city is accepting that sometimes there will be big civic events with associated disruption, and there are few civic events bigger than the visit of a US president. I'm really looking forward to it, it's just a pity it is being held on a work day during working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

What time will Obama be speaking approximately? Security gates will open at 14:00, but the pre-speech entertainment won't start until 17:00 so he mightn't speak until around six or seven o' clock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conscious

Yeah its on monday in college green!

If you want to get in your going to have to pass through metal scanners, and he is going to be speaking behind a screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Degsy wrote: »
    It'd be just like multimillionaire anti-poverty campaigner Bono to pay grovelling homage to the leader of the world's largest empire alrite.

Actually they wont be playing i can tell youthat..they dont do anything for nothing.

Are you saying U2 are in the public sector ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ixoy wrote: »
    Thanks although it is still unclear how, as a pedestrian, I can get from Georges Street to the north side of the city while Obama is at College Green.
    You will have to walk around the back of the Castle (via Steven's St, Ship St, Werbrugh St, Lord Edward St to Parliament St then across Capel St bridge.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You will have to walk around the back of the Castle (via Steven's St, Ship St, Werbrugh St, Lord Edward St to Parliament St then across Capel St bridge.
    Bit ridiculous...
    Is there any way to get around it by going in the opposite direction towards Pearse Street? Nassau Street doesn't appear to be closed for example. Could I go down St. Stephen's Green and loop down to Pearse Street? It's closed for traffic but presumably not to pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Obama has just made his way down the quays according to my OH. My Oh popped out from work to get some lunch on Parkgate St and was prevented from getting back to his work place for the last 30 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Coppers asking people on merrion square for ID this morning..wondering what the legal basis for those requests was?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I was the only one left in the office, as everyone left to watch him drive past merrion square.

they have all just come back now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Obama car crashes coming out of embassy - minor damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

Who is his driver,must be under so much scrutiny now :eek: ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Okay so I'm getting the train to Tara st, I assume the normal route down college st is all closed down? Is my best bet to walk down Fleet ST/Temple st and down parliament street and back up Dame st, or will it be possible to turn down Anglesea street [Google maps is my friend says the culchie!!!]

Advertisement