Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bambi wrote: »
    Coppers asking people on merrion square for ID this morning..wondering what the legal basis for those requests was?

It wasn't ID as in passport/driving license etc.
    It was Work ID to prove you were employed in government buildings and thus could enter Merrion Sq.
    Seems fair enough (though admittedly a minor inconvenient for the rest of us who had to walk around the square).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Will I be able to get to the gig in the Point later or are the quays blocked off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Does anyone know if the rooftops of Fitzsimons or the morgan will be open? Would really like to hear the speech but cant be doing with the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

xalot wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the rooftops of Fitzsimons or the morgan will be open? Would really like to hear the speech but cant be doing with the crowds.

I doubt it given the security implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

WindSock wrote: »
    Will I be able to get to the gig in the Point later or are the quays blocked off?

Surely they'll allow pedestrians on the Quays?

Dunno how I'll get home from work (SCR to Phibsboro)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm driving in, I presume it is ok to go down sheriff and park in point village.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

WindSock wrote: »

I'm walking it tbh..quite ironic to have checkpoints and that given the gig thats in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

so whats the story for pedestrians?
    I work in town and need to get back on the northside to get home?
    Anyone any idea if getting from Grafton Street back on to northside will be possible around 5pm?
    Cheers.

Got stuck last week when the queen was here and couldnt get back on the northside , gardai couldnt tell us where to go...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

sham69 wrote: »
    so whats the story for pedestrians?
    I work in town and need to get back on the northside to get home?.
    Same here and it's infuriating how unclear the traffic instructions have been with respect to pedestrians. They could, and should, tell us about bridges being closed for example. I'm inferring that all bridges are closed off from 17:45-18:15 as that's when the trains aren't running over the Liffey but why not make it explicitly clear? Give us even a broad window estimate so we can plan our journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Waited two hours queing up for College Green,never moved beyond Christchurch!

Went on a wander through Trinity and beyond and the firemen waiting outside Tara Street fire station told me to go up outside Pearse Street Garda Station cos Obama would be driving down that way into College Green,was grand saw him in his massive limo as they drove by!

And another plus,didn't have to suffer through Jedward and Westlife!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Did what I said I would. Sat in the Stags watching people trying to be clever and cut (without success) from Dame Court to Dame St. Being a bitter person by nature, this filled me with joy. :P
    Nice speech btw - and I liked the way he made sure he was in the air for the Jedward bit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Went to head to Nassau Street and met a blockade of people listening to Obama. Gave up trying to push through them and listened to the speech.
    Then I thought to go round by Nassau Street and Westland Row. Yeah that didn't happen. Gave up trying to push through crowds to go nowhere and just watched the motorcade pass by. Least I got to see a glimpse of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who was that tough looking character over his shoulder, whilst doing his speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Waited two hours queing up for College Green,never moved beyond Christchurch!

Went on a wander through Trinity and beyond and the firemen waiting outside Tara Street fire station told me to go up outside Pearse Street Garda Station cos Obama would be driving down that way into College Green,was grand saw him in his massive limo as they drove by!

And another plus,didn't have to suffer through Jedward and Westlife!

Do you mind me asking what time you started queuing at?

I was there at 2.20 and managed to power on for an hour and a bit. Landed up 30 feet from the podium. Crazy crowds there even at 2.20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Got there at about 3 or so,moved from the start of Christchurch to just in front of The Bull and Castle pub in just under 2 hours!worked out well in the end though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Phew lucky I managed to catch the train on time from Maynooth then :p.

Great atmosphere at it. One last question, were them lads on the balcony still out singing towards the end. They were all kitted out in their Ireland gear with the tops off. They were good for a laugh at the start of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Bambi wrote: »
    Coppers asking people on merrion square for ID this morning..wondering what the legal basis for those requests was?

I think the police force can do these kind of things. you have led a very sheltered life if you think this is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I think the police force can do these kind of things.
    They can ask, and sometimes they are empowered to ask.... There's a biggish thread in the Legal Discussion forum where this is threashed out a bit.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement