Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk restaurant recommendation ???

Options
  • 19-05-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Looking for nice restaurant in Dundalk for some friends to celebrate a birthday (evening time). Any recommendations - I don't see any recent threads on this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plenty of decent places to choose from: The Lisdoo, The Windor, Crown Plaza, Stonehouse, Quaglinos. - depends on the numbers attending really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 soco123

Hi Deepwell,

The above restaurants are really nice as per srameen. I would avoid No.32 restaurant - I was in it yesterday, the portion sizes are rediculously small and so overpriced!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Depends what you're looking for. Both No. 42 and Rossos are classy places with good food. If you want something cheaper (and with bigger portions) then the Windsor is never disappointing. Or you could head out to Blackrock and try the Brake or the Clermont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 soco123

Reekwind wrote: »
    Depends what you're looking for. Both No. 42 and Rossos are classy places with good food. If you want something cheaper (and with bigger portions) then the Windsor is never disappointing. Or you could head out to Blackrock and try the Brake or the Clermont

Rossos is closed now (maybe they have moved?), eno's has moved over from crowe street, its an italian restaurant and ive heard good reports about it. Yes, No.32 is a really nice classy restaurant and very gourmet style food. You can't beat the windsor though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

since Rosso is closed, its No 32 for me, best in town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Rossos is closed? A pity that, it served some fantastic food. Which reminds me, there's a great Italian (if its not shut as well) called La Cantina that's just off Park St. Its down that lane/street across from Oscars that leads to the Ramparts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

If you want something different, try the King Balti. You can book the upstairs part if there are a few of you and can bring your own booze with no corkage fee. Can work out a pretty cheap night

This is the point when all the previous threads on places to eat fell apart. :)

No. 32 is overpriced and not very pleasent service. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a party. La Cantina is ok but no great style to it. I don't know how a large group, or party, would go down in it. King Balti is a bit limited. Many people are put off by the smell of Indian cooking and it wouldn't suit all ages either.

It all depends on the size of group, the age profile, and the type of menu preferred. The town has plenty of place to cater for any combination of these but no one place would suit all situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Thanks for the input so far. There's just 6 or so and we're not teenagers anymore :rolleyes:. It'll be Friday or Saturday evening - the Windsor would have been our preference but they don't take bookings.
    I've heard the Left Bank is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Deepwell wrote: »
    Thanks for the input so far. There's just 6 or so and we're not teenagers anymore :rolleyes:. It'll be Friday or Saturday evening - the Windsor would have been our preference but they don't take bookings.
    I've heard the Left Bank is good?

Stay well clear of the left bank. It should be forced to close down at this stage. I'd rather a diner meal out of the Europa than that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I hear it's nice but they don't/won't cater for vegetarians if there's any in your party. "Will fish not do ya" was the response when we inquired :rolleyes:

Deepwell wrote: »
    the Windsor would have been our preference but they don't take bookings.
    Twice I phoned them about a party (7 or 8 people, if I remember correctly) and they agreed a booking with me. So it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Was in Riva Townhouse the other night... (was very busy) The food was all very very nice. I had the New York Steak which was cooked very well.

Not overly expensive either - a table of 6 adults, a teenager and a young'un was €220.

Next meal out for me will be the new eno to see what its like. +1 to avoid left bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Fitzpatrick's has the best food in North Louth IMO if you do not mind travelling out of town. Riva townhouse is excellent value and a lovely setting. Food is good. The break has the best steak by a mile. I think the windsor food is good but ambience leaves a bit to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

+1 for Fitzpatricks's, one of the best meals I've ever had. It's a bit far out, but they do provide a "pickup" service, which will pick you up at your house, bring you to the restaurant, the drop you back whenever you're ready to leave. It was free as well the last time I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Fitzpatricks is the place to go! Nice staff, great service, excellant food !

Failing that there is an excellant Indian, The Punjab house, in Park Street, great food, good service and you wont be hungry coming out ! The Great Wall Chinese in Blackrock is equally good. Have only been in No32 once but it was fine, nice staff, good food,portions a bit small. The Brake and the Clarmont Arms in Blackrock are fine for quality but the Brake is very economical with the portions !

Lisdoo? poor service, rude staff who will talk to their fellow workers, about the night before's activities, while leaving people waiting to pay the bill or buy a gift token !!! Food sometimes good more often poor, I thought it was just me, untill I heard from friends who waited for 45 mins for their food which included chips that had obviously been re-heated in a microwave ..and this was on a quiet evening! Wont be going again !

Windsor? havent been back to it in a while since we had to put up with a rude, snotty little *** who decided that friends should be let in first, despite the fact that we had been waiting for about 30 mins ! When we asked for the manager we were told to forget it !

Left Bank? not surprised if they are not doing well, 6 of us were left waiting to give our orders for ages while the waiter talked to his chum who had arrived in at the same time, mind you he wasnt very active anyway as there were only two tables occupied which we decided to make into one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

Blackwok in Blackrock is nice, wee bit expensive but it was tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

Fuschia house in ardee is nice, if you wana go a bit further and Darver castle have some great deals on

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Anybody know of a nice Italian near Fairways hotel in Dundalk? Or even if its a fifteen minute taxi drive or so away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

Anybody know of a nice Italian near Fairways hotel in Dundalk? Or even if its a fifteen minute taxi drive or so away?

la Cantina in town centre , nice food

• Advertisement
Advertisement