Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazing, another new Irish micro brewery

• 19-05-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

http://www.eightdegrees.ie/

I look forward to tasting these. Isn't it amazing the amount of new craft brewerys that have been launched, including this, in the last 3 or so years in this country and all this during a terrible recession and the majority of completely unadventurous Irish drinkers who are only interested in buying the usual rubbish beers that are advertised on television?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Even in the past few months we've had Metalman, Breweyed and eightdegrees.

Hope the trend will continue. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

slayerking wrote: »
    Even in the past few months we've had Metalman, Breweyed and eightdegrees.

Hope the trend will continue. :)

An two out of the three started as home brewers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't forget Burren Brewery in Lisdoonvarna, based at Curtin's Pub. They're due to have their first tasting session tomorrow night at 8.

And Dingle BC as well, due to launch next month with a very impressive set-up, judging from the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Now maybe someone can answer me some questions I have on these new micro breweries.

Alot more are coming online which is great as I love a choice of good beer rather than the usual stuff we see in pubs or an off licence.

Do we as a nation have enough open minded drinkers to maintain all these new craft breweries ?

I for one when buying my off licence beer will always try something new but also buy O'Hara's , Porterhouse , Dungarven and any other Irish beers I can find as I like those beers but also like to support local/Irish companies.

In my younger days when in college I went to the MacArdles bottling plant just outside Dundalk and got talking to a local historian who said in the Dundalk area there was possibly upto about 40 breweries in the 1700's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't forget Burren Brewery in Lisdoonvarna, based at Curtin's Pub. They're due to have their first tasting session tomorrow night at 8.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be in Lisdoonvarna tomorrow and may just call in to say hello. Hours before the tasting but he might give me a timble. :D

• Advertisement

Worth a punt :D Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

One of the brewers from Eightdegrees said this to me today
    it will be at least a month before any beer goes into bottles, we are just trying to keep up with demand from beer festivals etc at the moment.

In the not to distant future we will hopefully be stocked in O'briens off-licences in their 30 or so stores around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Great to see and plenty of variety, will be trying the metalman windjammer this weekend in B&C.:D
    Its all about promotion and educating the public, it always disappoints me to see people coming out from the off license/Dunnes stores with a case of bud and miller, if only they could capture a fraction of that business, but its hard to compete with the 15 euro cases of beer and people just wanting to get smashed!

Hondo75 wrote: »
    will be trying the metalman windjammer this weekend in B&C.:D
    I wouldn't bank on that. But the Metalman Pale Ale is on.
    its hard to compete with the 15 euro cases of beer and people just wanting to get smashed!
    It's pointless to even compare the products: they're for two substantially different markets. Barolo and Buckfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Worth a punt :D Let us know how you get on.

I wasn't welcomed for a tasting today. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

There ya go ,beernut

Windjammer will also be on in the B&C, and Mulligans will be swapping the pale ale for Windjammer for a limited run in the next week or so.
    Yesterday at 12:31pm

Well yesterday at 7pm there was no Windjammer on in the Bull & Castle. It's O'Hara's IPA on the rotating tap (and still was at 1pm today), while the cask beer engine is out of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There ya go ,beernut

Windjammer will also be on in the B&C, and Mulligans will be swapping the pale ale for Windjammer for a limited run in the next week or so.
    Yesterday at 12:31pm

Windjammer on keg in The Bierhaus, Cork at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

I wouldn't bank on that. But the Metalman Pale Ale is on.

It's pointless to even compare the products: they're for two substantially different markets. Barolo and Buckfast.

buckfast is like nectar! a tonic wine from the God's!:P

flas wrote: »
    buckfast is like nectar! a tonic wine from the God's!:P
    From the gods; to the people who drink primarily to get pissed.

Well yesterday at 7pm there was no Windjammer on in the Bull & Castle. It's O'Hara's IPA on the rotating tap (and still was at 1pm today), while the cask beer engine is out of action.
    Cask Windjammer is due at the Bull & Castle from this evening. It's on keg at L. Mulligan Grocer at the moment too.

Edit: Ooops, no. Bull & Castle says Windjammer is keg there too. But cask Helvick Gold instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll be picking up an order from Drinkstore this evening so I think I'll pop into Mullingans and try a pint Windjammer. Wasn't overly keen on the Metalman's Pale Ale. It wasn't a bad beer, just a bit underwhelming, so hopefully the Windjammer is a lot nicer.

Think I'll also hang around for some of Mulligan's delicious food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I'm looking forward to the bottles of Eight Degrees beers becoming available. I tried the pale ale at the Brewers on the Bay Festival in Oslo, Galway, earlier this month and was impressed with it.

Speaking of Oslo, it had Metalman Windjammer on tap when I was in last night. Very good it was too. Tasted like something Sierra Nevada could have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Speaking of Oslo, it had Metalman Windjammer on tap when I was in last night. Very good it was too. Tasted like something Sierra Nevada could have made.
    Oooh that's encouraging. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Oooh that's encouraging. :)

Yeah I had it at the Brewers on the Bay festival and wasn't overly impressed, but I thought it was much better last night. Had nice grapefruity-bittersweet flavours going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Just saw this on drinkstore.ie
    http://www.drinkstore.ie/brand/EIGHT-DEGREES-BREWING-COMPANY/

Only 4 days to wait.

Or you could go to the Bull & Castle now and drink it on draught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's in bottles in The Abbot's in Cork

Advertisement