Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing with a B License

• 19-05-2011 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,
    The other day I was towing the boat home and I had to pass through a garda checkpoint, the garda gave me a smile and waved me on but it got me thinking. Could he have done me if he had stopped me? I drive a 2005 tdi passat and was towing a 16ft fletcher with 100hp outboard on a twin axle trailer(no brakes). The car has no problems towing the boat and the trip takes only 5 minutes, just worried whether my license is enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I think you can tow up to 750kg with a b license but not sure, I dont know of anybody that has actually done a driving test for a car and trailer and there are lots of farmers that pull cattle trailers that probably dont have anything more than a B and W license.

Maybe its one of those things that is overlooked as its too difficult to police like tractors and L drivers on motorways. just something they can "do" you for if they want but arent necessarily bothered. Doesnt really make much sence otherwise. I would worry about what would happen with your insurance if there was an accident though.

I got my full W (work vehicle) license when I passed my car test, did that mean that I could pull anything behind a tractor but nothing behind a car? I got the EB license when I got my EC (artic) license so I'm covered now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

This can be complicated. The page you need
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Vehicles-and-Legislation/Vehicle-Standards/Trailers/

The relevant bit on licensing is:
    With an ordinary category B licence, a person can
    • tow a trailer of up to 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to eight passengers (apart from the driver). The combination weight cannot exceed 4.25 tonnes.
    • tow a trailer exceeding 0.75 tonnes DGVW, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the maximum combination weight does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes.
    Whether the trailer should be braked or not is further down the page (it does because it has 2 axels).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scubadec

It doesnt matter how many axels are on the trailer, its related to the weight of the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

scubadec wrote: »
    It doesnt matter how many axels are on the trailer, its related to the weight of the trailer.

Well, if it's only the weight of the trailer the RSA is wrong... extract from above link:
    Brake requirements

For O1 Trailers (DGVW not exceeding 0.75 tonnes)

O1 trailers with a single axle are not obliged to have brakes provided that their DGVW is less than half the DGVW of the towing vehicle.
    O1 trailers that have a DGVW greater than half of the DGVW weight of the towing vehicle or that have two or more axles must have brakes fitted.

Advertisement