Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 weeks in Sydney????

Options
  • 19-05-2011 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Im travelling to Sydney for two weeks before heading to NZ for the RWC. Im looking for suggestions of what to do around the sydney area, i reckon that 2 weeks in Sydeny would be a nightmare. I really have no idea what to do:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭1c1a

Hey there,

First of all Sydney rocks;) Theres loads of stuff to do! Heres just a few suggestions! Sydney Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour, Home and Away Set, Torronga Zoo, The Opera House, Botanic Gardens, The Paddy Market's, Koala Park can't remember the name of that. Loads of cool wild life stuff and loads of great pubs. Coogee Beach is pretty nice too if the weather is nice there but it is kinda coming into winter so that might be a bit dodgy. Oh and the blue mountains are class! Have fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Are you having a laugh? Sydney is a major world city, plenty to do in two weeks.

CBD Atrractions - Opera House, Harbour Bridge (climb potentially), Museums
    Manly - Fish and Chips, Beaches (although maybe not in winter), cliff walks, ferry trip alone is an experience
    Hunter Valley - Go wine tasting
    Blue Mountains - Go visit Khatoomba for a few days for the craic. Visit Scenic world, ride a pony/horse, go see some caves (Jenolan Caves), pothole, go bush.
    Check out some of the quirkier suburbs - Paddington, Newtown, Surry Hills.

I have to stop there but I'm sure I could go on for a long time. It's down to your personal interests. I think the real question would be, what can't I do in Sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Bring lots of spending money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

busyliving wrote: »
    Bring lots of spending money

dont bring any , just a cash'ed up credit card will do ya ......... really really cash'ed up !

daftdave wrote: »
    dont bring any , just a cash'ed up credit card will do ya ......... really really cash'ed up !

I didn't literally mean cash, but access to money while in Sydney because it’s quite expensive...and a bit (well huge) of a letdown from my experience:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I didn't literally mean cash, but access to money while in Sydney because it’s quite expensive...and a bit (well huge) of a letdown from my experience:(
    What experiences did you try that were a let down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I thoroughly enjoy Sydney when I go there.

I stay with mates in Redfern (which isn't as feral as I was told tbh). Head into the city, get off the train at Martin Place or St James. Walk through Botanic Gardens, including the walk out to McQuaries chair. Then back around to the Opera House. Then around Circular Quay. Then into The Rocks for much pintage. On an alternative day, head to Circular Quay on the train and follow the waterfront of Darling Harbour and down to Chinatown for more beers and cheap lunch.

Did the Aquarium last weekend - not cheap at $35, but that sort of thing blows my skirt up so I enjoyed it. Various museums are free - look it up!

Three words: Manly Space Beer...

Newtown - there are a couple of stonking Thai places along King Street.

Walk around!! Drink some beer! Find pokey places and while away the hours in there!

Sydney is a good spot. It's bustling and full on - and I was lucky to have especially travel-savvy friends to break me in, but I love it.

ballooba wrote: »
    What experiences did you try that were a let down?

Was over there for three weeks, just found the people a bit too much and it was just so expensive.

Also the nightlife wasn't great, went out twice there and was brought around by lads who are there...

Just all in all I feel the whole country is totally overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

:rolleyes:

Let me guess, you travelled up the East Coast and got pissed in Surfers Paradise and didn't go near the Red Centre, Kakadu, Flinders Ranges, or any of the West Coast, with the exception of Perth and surrounding areas?

So many people who give out about Oz don't actually get out into the wilderness.

Maybe you have, but loads don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Was over there for three weeks, just found the people a bit too much and it was just so expensive.

Also the nightlife wasn't great, went out twice there and was brought around by lads who are there...

it is overrated, its turned into a tourist machine, it is good though but yes definitely overrated!

• Advertisement

Sacred_git wrote: »
    it is overrated, its turned into a tourist machine, it is good though but yes definitely overrated!

Completely disagree. The East Coast yes, but not the West, the Centre and Top End. Why every backpacker decides to go down the same tourist trail on the East is beyond me. Get away from the East and you are in wilderness where most places are not over touristy at all.

04072511 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you travelled up the East Coast and got pissed in Surfers Paradise and didn't go near the Red Centre, Kakadu, Flinders Ranges, or any of the West Coast, with the exception of Perth and surrounding areas?

So many people who give out about Oz don't actually get out into the wilderness.

Maybe you have, but loads don't.

Didn't go near surfers, have been to Perth, Sydney and Melbourne...also drove across the country from Sydney to Perth

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

Plenty to do in sydney but two weeks is a long time to stay, id rent a car and stay in a couple places outside the city. Hunter valley, Khatoomba etc.
    A guided tour of the opera house is a must, very interesting and was a highlight of my 6 night stopover in Sydney.

Didn't go near surfers, have been to Perth, Sydney and Melbourne...also drove across the country from Sydney to Perth

Take a trip from Adelaide, through the Outback, up to Alice Springs. I promise you will be impressed.

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/

This tour company is excellent. I used them for the Outback trip. Driving is all well and good and cheaper, but it helps to have a tour guide who can bring you down crap roads in a 4X4 to show you hidden gems, that you wouldn't otherwise have any idea existed. I plan to do the Adelaide to Perth route that you did, around new years, but with the tour.

For scenery, out of the 25 countries I have been to, this country is 2nd only to Bolivia, and for wildlife is is a comprehensive number 1. For history it is well down the list however.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Cheers folks this is just the response i was hoping for, plenty of ideas here. keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

i like the look of that adelaide tour to alice springs.... do you fly back from alice springs at the end of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

burkulosis wrote: »
    i like the look of that adelaide tour to alice springs.... do you fly back from alice springs at the end of it??

You can but not inc the price, I did the alice spring -> darwin tour and was excellent - good tour group

burkulosis wrote: »

Yeh flights not included. I was in Sydney on holidays when I did that trip. I flew to Adelaide and caught the tour from there, and then flew back to Sydney after 3 nights in Alice. Nice little town and you can do a one day tour to the West MacDonnell Ranges from there.

Adventure tours are great. It caters to a younger crowd. When I did that Outback trip, all but 2 of the 24 was under 33. It was great fun, but you meet many likeminded people who enjoy travelling, because lets face it nobody travels the Outback if getting pissed is the number one priority.

I was the only Irish person on the trip also, which was crazy considering how many of us are over in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

For anyone who says 'XYZ is way overrated' - could you confirm what you were expecting before you got here, or what disappointed you?

For anyone who says 'XYZ is way overrated' - could you confirm what you were expecting before you got here, or what disappointed you?

Trees with branches made of gold and leaves made of sweet sweet cash along with local women opening their legs at the sound of an Irish accent :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously how can people think Australia is overrated. Incredible scenery, amazing wildlife, friendly people, mostly good weather, and lots of great sport. Don't know what people's problem is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Trees with branches made of gold and leaves made of sweet sweet cash along with local women opening their legs at the sound of an Irish accent :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously how can people think Australia is overrated. Incredible scenery, amazing wildlife, friendly people, mostly good weather, and lots of great sport. Don't know what people's problem is!
    People who get their hopes up too easily, I'm realistic, knew what to expect and its lived up to every minute of it,

some people just are made for living away from home, not an insult or anything. Some people are jsut happier at home, that's fine. THey should do what ever makes them happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    People who get their hopes up too easily, I'm realistic, knew what to expect and its lived up to every minute of it,

some people just are made for living away from home, not an insult or anything. Some people are jsut happier at home, that's fine. THey should do what ever makes them happy

Hit the nail on the head.

Me brother is a homebird and always has been, unfortunately for my poor mother I am the opposite.

Also have plenty of friends & relatives who I know would absolutely love Australia and would probably choose to stay if they actually had the balls to come in the first place.

Advertisement