Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP - Problems with CD/DVD & Graphics Drivers

• 19-05-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 7820 laptop running Windows XP.

I am having problems with both the graphics and the CD drivers. Both have question marks next to them in Device Manager.

I have downloaded graphics drivers from the Fujitsu site here>

http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/downloads.html

...but, they won't "copy" and so I can't install either of them.

The CD/DVD is a QSI SBW-161. There doesn't appear to be a driver for it at the above link. I can't find one anywhere on the web.

Finally, when I put the Fujitsu recovery CD in the drive, nothing happens. Presumably, because it doesn't have a driver.

What can I do? :confused:

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Beside the devices with question marks go in to properties and the Details tab. You should see a muddle of characters and numbers. You'll make out that it'll say Dev and number and then Ven and a number (or visa versa).

Get these numbers and put them in to this site.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

This'll point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately. I got "No matches found in both cases."

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately. I got "No matches found in both cases."

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

D.

Forgot to mention that the device and vendor numbers should only be four characters long each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hey Op
    Not sure what you mean about graphice driver 'wont copy' but here is a very possible solution to the CD/DVD drive issue -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
    I have used this many times over the years to solve the problem you are describing. Make sure you restart after editing the reg keys and you should be sorted.
    There is an automated fix on that link - try that first, it may sort it for you.

Ok, guys, I've made some progress.

Using the regedit solution, I got the CD/DVD drive working again. Thanks! :D

However, since I'm now on Service Pack 3, I can't use the old CD that came with the computer to sort out the driver.

So, I tried downloading and installing the driver again from the ATI site, but it won't install. The full message I get is.......

Setup cannot copy the file ati2mtag.sy

Below this is a dropdown menu with the following address as default.....

c:\docume~1\denism~1\locals~1\temp\temporary directory 2 for fts_displayatimobilityradeon9000_613106178777020911x1006355c_1001986.zip\driver\2kxp_inf\.\BX_05797

The other addresses in the dropdown menu are....

D: Driver

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\DENIS MORTELL\DESKTOP\DOWNLOADS

D:\

The graphics card is a Mobility Radeon 9000.

Any more ideas? :confused:

Many thanks.

D.

ps. ArtyM, your link took me to a CD/DVD solution. Thanks. It worked. If you have a link to a graphics card solution..........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hey OP
    Glad the CD/DVD fix worked.
    Here are some suggestions for the graphics issue..
    Looking at the file path you provided it seems you are running the install from inside a zip file, have you extracted the files first?
    Also, I had problems in the past with ATI instals when, after unzipping, it created multilevel folders each with very long files names making the install fail. So, once you have unzipped go into the folder and keep dropping down until you find the one for your OS and copy that folder out so it sits on its own. There should be a setup.exe file inside that you can run.
    Make sure the old graphics driver in uninstalled also.
    Clean out your temp foles before running the new driver install
    Post back with progress

Thanks for the reply.

When I unzip the folder there is one Setup icon.

There is also another folder named Driver and within this is another Setup icon.

Both if I right click on both icons and choose Properties/Compatability I get to choose Windows 95, 98, ME and 2000, but not XP.

It's the same for the other Radeon 9000 driver from the Fujitsu website.

So.....

1. Should I make it choose one of the Windows versions? If so, which one?

2. How can I be sure that all traces of the old driver are gone?

3. How do I clear all temp files.

I really appreciate your time on this. ;)

Thanks.

D.

Hey,
    To clean temp files:
    Click start>programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup to clear temp files in the window that appears only select the temp files option, uncheck the others.

Uninstall
    As for the uninstall, just check the list of programs in start>control panel>add remove programs and uninstall from there if the graphics one is listed.

Re: Driver
    Are there more folders insider the Driver folder? Dont worry about right-clicking options, those are for compatability and dont apply here. If there are not lots of more folders inside the Driver folder just go ahead with the main setup icon. If there are more folders, keep drilling down until you find the xp one and copy it out and run the setup file that is inside it.

Good luck, hope you get sorted

ArtyM,

Thanks again.

Think the problem may be this. In Add/Remove there is an ATI icon (but with no file size in the opposite column) and when I try to uninstall I get the following message........

"Unable to uninstall older or non-ATI display drivers."

Can I manually remove it?

Thanks.

D.

Hey,
    The new driver might install without removing the old but it is always better to remove old ones first. Try the new install first and if it doesnt work, then proceed with the removal..
    Try this http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
    I havent actually used it before myself but it seems to be suitable for ati driver removals. It says it is freeware so watch out for pre-ticked options for installing toolbars or secondary programs during the install (you dont want any of those)

• Advertisement

ArtyM,

So, I downloaded this one............and when I ran it, it saved to the same main folder as the drivers.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-11.5-Windows-XP-x32-download-2719.html

.....and ran the uninstall bit first. It said that there was nothing to uninstall.

Then, I ran the install bit and it failed. I got the following log.........

Catalyst™ Install Manager
    Installation Report
    05/19/11 18:37:09

Hardware information
    NameATI Radeon Graphics ProcessorManufacturerATI Technologies IncDevice ID0x4c66Vendor ID0x1002Class Code0x030000Revision ID0x01Subsystem ID0x2058Subsystem vendor ID0x17c0Other hardwareExisting packagesPackages for install
    ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status:FailVersion of Item:3.0.825.0Size:20 MbytesAMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status:FailVersion of Item:2.4.595.10Size:90 Mbytes
    Other detected devicesATI Radeon Graphics Processor
    ManufacturerATI Technologies IncDevice ID0x4c66Vendor ID0x1002Class Code0x030000Revision ID0x01Subsystem ID0x2058Subsystem vendor ID0x17c0
    Error messagesApplication Install: install is already running. Complete that installation before continuingApplication Install: install is already running. Complete that installation before continuing
    That's it.

Off to bang my head against a wall now. :eek:

Ta.

D.

Update:

Sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noted in Device Manger that there was a yellow exclamation point over the driver. So, I right clicked and chose Enable Driver. I then browsed to one of the drivers I downlaoded today and it installed it!!! I then rebooted and reset the resolution and BINGO! I can see.

It's much more responsive than the old driver.

So, it seems that ATI Catalyst did install the driver, but MSFT wasn't allowing it to run. Now in Device Manager I see Mobility Radeon 9000.

ArtyM, I owe you bigtime! Many, many thanks! :D

D.

Great to hear you got sorted, Glad to help

Advertisement