Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming network and hidden SSID

Options
  • 19-05-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Right, I finally managed to get my 2 APs setup to allow seamless roaming between them both. Thing is though, I am going increasingly paranoid about how easy it is for those networks to be hacked into.

I am using WPA2 with a rather long key, but I know even that can be broken into easy enough, with someone who has the right kind of dictionaries and tables. Locking down the MAC addresses would be pointless, considering how easy it is to spoof them. Might as well no bother.

The only other remaining thing left is to set the network to non-broadcast and hide the SSID (yes, I know, even that won't safe me, but "the quieter you are ...").

Thing is though, if the SSID is hidden, won't that make the whole roaming setup pointless? I don't know WiFi operation well enough, maybe something I should remedy over the summer, but how does a client switch between two APs if the SSID is hidden. Sure, it can tell them apart by the MAC addresses, but how would it actually know about the 2 available addresses if the APs are hidden.
    I know I am missing something simple here, so please someone give me the kick I need to boot up my brain this morning.

Advertisement