Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving UTV?

• 19-05-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

I filled out a form on Vodafone.ie to move to their home broadband and phone service from UTV about 2 weeks ago. I was hoping all was going to plan this week until I received a letter from Vodafone saying I had cancelled the move myself. This was untrue so I contacted Vodafone who told me UTV are actually blocking the move. From reading online forums it looks like UTV need a notice period etc - I thought all this would work the same way as a transfer of say mobile number and was handled by the 2 companies. When I moved from Eircom to UTV a few years ago all of this was seamless.

My worry here is if I give UTV notice of cancellation and then there is a delay getting connected to a new provider that I will be without phone and internet which I need for my work.

Anyone have similar problem moving and how did you sort it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

leex wrote: »
    I filled out a form on Vodafone.ie to move to their home broadband and phone service from UTV about 2 weeks ago. I was hoping all was going to plan this week until I received a letter from Vodafone saying I had cancelled the move myself. This was untrue so I contacted Vodafone who told me UTV are actually blocking the move. From reading online forums it looks like UTV need a notice period etc - I thought all this would work the same way as a transfer of say mobile number and was handled by the 2 companies. When I moved from Eircom to UTV a few years ago all of this was seamless.

My worry here is if I give UTV notice of cancellation and then there is a delay getting connected to a new provider that I will be without phone and internet which I need for my work.

Anyone have similar problem moving and how did you sort it?

Got the same letter today. Bad form from UTV considering I've been with them years. According to VF they have allowed the transfer of the phone line, but not the broadband??? I wouldn't even consider moving from UTV if their offer wasn't so bad for the NGB service. I'm ringing UTV now, but they are on training (You'd think they would be better at CS they spend so much time training....:rolleyes:), so I should have an answer about 4pm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Most companies (once you have completed the initial 12 month contract) have a rolling 1 month contract. Also UTV have a "ransom" clause where you have to pay a fee when you leave.

I would always recommend concluding the contract directly with the isp before making any transfer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dub45 wrote: »
    Most companies (once you have completed the initial 12 month contract) have a rolling 1 month contract. Also UTV have a "ransom" clause where you have to pay a fee when you leave.

I would always recommend concluding the contract directly with the isp before making any transfer.

As I would, the only problem is, VF say 3-10 days for phone transfer and allow up to 21 for BB transfer.....If UTV shut it down, you have no service......I would have thought the cancellation fee would have covered in lieu of 30 days, billed it to my account and then transferred over. Do they think I'm going to stay with them now after they act the bollix?:confused:

Yes they are blocking it due to the lack of 30 days notice from me. Their cancellations department will be contacting me......just to drag it out another bit, I presume:rolleyes:

Cancellation team rang; "What can we do to keep you as a customer?"
    "Nothing, you weren't so keen on enforcing the 30 day notice when you were taking my business from another supplier, so between this and cancellation fees.....never again."

Ringing VF now to get it put through. I'll have to pay 30 days and cancellation, but that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

UTV seem to be the only company that strictly enforce this 30 day cancellation period, just so their cancellation dept can try and intimidate you into staying with them. Why do Comreg let them away with this practice?:mad:

Shyboy wrote: »
    UTV seem to be the only company that strictly enforce this 30 day cancellation period, just so their cancellation dept can try and intimidate you into staying with them. Why do Comreg let them away with this practice?:mad:

Because we sign up to it............:o
    Lesson learned, I won't be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

I contacted Comreg after posting above. I queried why this transfer shouldn't be seamless like say a mobile phone transfer. Answer received was a bit vague saying I should contact UTV myself and sort it out myself with them and if all else fails lodge a formal complaint which was an email to UTV and copying comreg on it. Waste of time really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I contacted Comreg after posting above. I queried why this transfer shouldn't be seamless like say a mobile phone transfer. Answer received was a bit vague saying I should contact UTV myself and sort it out myself with them and if all else fails lodge a formal complaint which was an email to UTV and copying comreg on it. Waste of time really.

I am not sure what exactly you expected from Comreg?

The simple fact is that in your Terms and Conditions with UTV you agree to give a month's notice when you are leaving. That's the same for all isps as far as I am aware. Uniquely UTV also have their ransom fee to be paid (and the modem to be returned).

There used to be a lot of comment on boards years ago about seamless transfers and there was supposedly a procedure in place at one stage anyway.

Hard to believe now that UTV were once the darling of boards for excellent customer service and innovative products sadly they ended up being innovative only in their cute hoorism with innovations like the ransom fee:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    I am not sure what exactly you expected from Comreg?

The simple fact is that in your Terms and Conditions with UTV you agree to give a month's notice when you are leaving. That's the same for all isps as far as I am aware. Uniquely UTV also have their ransom fee to be paid (and the modem to be returned).

There used to be a lot of comment on boards years ago about seamless transfers and there was supposedly a procedure in place at one stage anyway.

Hard to believe now that UTV were once the darling of boards for excellent customer service and innovative products sadly they ended up being innovative only in their cute hoorism with innovations like the ransom fee:rolleyes:

I am fine with T&C and accept I may have to pay a month extra to UTV and this may overlap with payment to new ISP. When I moved from Eircom to UTV many years ago, I simply applied to UTV and they handled the move. I expected in this day and age that it would be the same now and that the process would not have gone backwards and that was my reasons for contacting Comreg to see was this example an exception or was it the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As well as normal monthly charges UTV also charge a 30e cancellation charge,

UTV incur this charge from Eircom Wholesale the same as any other bit-stream reseller however they are the only ISP I'm aware of to pass it on, so you'll also have to pay this and yes it is outlined in the T&C's

Just checked with UTV to be sure, and their "unlimited" is 75GB on both their top NGB packages. You can't even buy a proper unlimited add-on like you used to. VF should be switched in a couple of days

Vodafone told me that I cancelled my request for connection as above. I discovered in the last few days that Vodafone now have my calls and UTV have retained my broadband - looks like they need 30days notice for broadband only. When I rang Vodafone today I was told that when/if I move broadband now there could be up to 15 days downtime. Messy! :(

Vodafone told me that I cancelled my request for connection as above. I discovered in the last few days that Vodafone now have my calls and UTV have retained my broadband - looks like they need 30days notice for broadband only. When I rang Vodafone today I was told that when/if I move broadband now there could be up to 15 days downtime. Messy! :(

Exactly the same for me, but there was no downtime. When you notify UTV of your decision to depart their Broadband, they will give you 30 days of service, plenty of time for VF to get their act together.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Exactly the same for me, but there was no downtime. When you notify UTV of your decision to depart their Broadband, they will give you 30 days of service, plenty of time for VF to get their act together.

I may give it a go so. The Vodafone rep I spoke to today suggested that they couldn't do anything for me until the 30 days was up.

I may give it a go so. The Vodafone rep I spoke to today suggested that they couldn't do anything for me until the 30 days was up.

They can. UTV told my my UTV BB would be gone by 19th June, yet I switched over to VF last Friday.

Advertisement