Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband DNS/Ping problem

• 19-05-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hello all, just got UPC broadband installed, strange issue. I can connect to the Cisco wireless router perfectly with my phone, girlfriends phone and my laptop. Browsing the internet through wifi with both phones works perfectly, no issue there. However even though I am connected with an excellent connection to the wireless network with my laptop, I can't ping anything (e.g. google.com or its ip address) and get the DNS lookup failed error so can't use the internet.
    I have all the settings correct (obtain ip and dns automatically). Restarted the modem a number of times, even tried actually using openDNS addresses instead of obtaining automatically.

Any ideas knowledgable people? Driving me fairly mad seeing as the phone wifi works perfectly :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

DMBandit wrote: »
    Hello all, just got UPC broadband installed, strange issue. I can connect to the Cisco wireless router perfectly with my phone, girlfriends phone and my laptop. Browsing the internet through wifi with both phones works perfectly, no issue there. However even though I am connected with an excellent connection to the wireless network with my laptop, I can't ping anything (e.g. google.com or its ip address) and get the DNS lookup failed error so can't use the internet.
    I have all the settings correct (obtain ip and dns automatically). Restarted the modem a number of times, even tried actually using openDNS addresses instead of obtaining automatically.

Any ideas knowledgable people? Driving me fairly mad seeing as the phone wifi works perfectly :(

You need to turn off the flood control on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Ranicand wrote: »
    You need to turn off the flood control on the router.

Thanks for the reply. Thought that was more of a speed/dodgy connection thing, but i'll give it a try anyway.
    As I can't ping anything over the wireless network I can't actually log in to my modem over it either. So i'll connect using a cable and see if it works.

Thanks for the reply. Thought that was more of a speed/dodgy connection thing, but i'll give it a try anyway.
    As I can't ping anything over the wireless network I can't actually log in to my modem over it either. So i'll connect using a cable and see if it works.

Trust me this is the problem I have seen it on here loads of times.

Do you know how to log into the router?

Trust me this is the problem I have seen it on here loads of times.

Do you know how to log into the router?

I have the ip address in the booklet the came with, so hopefully I can just hook up the laptop with a wired connection and change it from there. Will post back if it works, thanks again!

I have the ip address in the booklet the came with, so hopefully I can just hook up the laptop with a wired connection and change it from there. Will post back if it works, thanks again!

Ok so I can't access the modem settings. Instructions say IP is 192.168.1.1 I can ping this IP but can't access it :-( any ideas? I'm using a wired connection now by the way.

• Advertisement

Ok so I can't access the modem settings. Instructions say IP is 192.168.1.1 I can ping this IP but can't access it :-( any ideas? I'm using a wired connection now by the way.

Enter it into the address bar on your browser.

Yes thats what I'm trying. And as I said, it's pingable but the browser won't connect to it. Any other ideas?

Yes thats what I'm trying. And as I said, it's pingable but the browser won't connect to it. Any other ideas?

What router do you have?

Edit you may need to call UPC to resolve this because if you can not log into the modem I am out of ideas.

Have your tried firefox browser to log in?

Have your tried firefox browser to log in?

Tried chrome first coz that's what I normally use, but ie doesn't work either. It's very strange.

• Advertisement

Tried chrome first coz that's what I normally use, but ie doesn't work either. It's very strange.

I hate to say this but it may be time to pick up the phone and dial 1908.

I hate to say this but it may be time to pick up the phone and dial 1908.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Advertisement