Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a SIM with international data only

Options
  • 19-05-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I'm heading away soon and I need to figure a way to get internet access and check email while I'm out of the country.

Is it possible to buy a SIM in Ireland with say 1Gb of data that will allow me use internationally??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

You'd be better off just buying a SIM when you're away.

I think Vodafone and 3 have the best international data rates though - don't know the details, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just looking. I see Vodafone do a €12 a day (50Mb). I assume I could just get a payg SIM from a vodafone shop, top it up wuth €50 and I'm good to go? It will deduct €12 for each day I use it under 50Mb.

I see they also have "Internet on your phone abroad" option with is €2 a day on top of the normal charges. What's the difference with this offer to the one above? As I'll tether my N8 to the laptop, which would the cheaper option be?

As for getting a SIM there. It could be a right pain in the arse having to find a Vodafone shop and getting a SIM with the kids on tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i spoke to a vodafone sales person recently(1907) in relation to the same question. He suggested I buy a payg sim here before I travel. It should enable you to use 50mb per day for 3.99 i think, per day. I thought I'd have to buy one there but he said it could be bought here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

dr ro wrote: »
    i spoke to a vodafone sales person recently(1907) in relation to the same question. He suggested I buy a payg sim here before I travel. It should enable you to use 50mb per day for 3.99 i think, per day. I thought I'd have to buy one there but he said it could be bought here.

Cheers, I'll drop into them tonight in Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I think the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't understand me correctly. I went to Vodafone shop today and was told what you said, 12 euro a day for 50mb. So plan is get one there or just use meteor's 1 euro per mb. Ash cloud permitting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Advertisement