Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful Ballinacurra Road/Ballinacurra Gardens/Greenfield areas.

• 19-05-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for folks in those areas.

A bunch of kids, roughly between 14 and 19 years of age, have been roaming around with a few airguns the last few days and have been using the guns to shoot passer bys (normally older folk) in a form of happy slapping.

A friend of my mothers had it done to her on Ballinacurra road near where the party shop is, and they then held up their phones and said they had her on camera if she went to the Gardai. The woman is too scared to call the Gardai because of this, and there was also a woman got in the head near the traffic lights by the nearby Lidl and Credit Union according to a few folk living in Greenfields.

If anyone spots them with the guns in their hands, be sure to call the Gardai and say where the little scumbags are. You don't have to give your name and address to the Gardai despite a few who answer the phone at Roxboro station claiming you have to in order to the a response.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

F**k calling the Gardai? "That ain't a gun! THIS is a gun!!":)

I remember years ago, I lived in the less glamourous part of Rome, and a guy pulled up in a car one night, and shot me in the ass with a pellet gun. I had to laugh.....though it could have been my eye.....

The place is gone to the dogs. I'm originally from BCG myself and moved around 4 years ago and since I left I can now see that the place is taking a turn for the worst. I'm still regularly in and out of the place to visit family, friends etc and I won't even leave my car there overnight anymore. I'm constantly hearing stories of cars being broken into, stolen or in one particular case, turned on it's side outside the house! I haven't spotted the community garda patroling there in at least a year either. And now you can't even walk up the road without fear of being shot!! It's time the local councillor (who lives in the estate) stepped up and gets this problem sorted. Regular Garda patrols, CCTV, neighbourhood watch etc. Sorry for ranting, just not happy that the once lovely place I grew up in and still have a tight connection with is gone so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

shaaane wrote: »
    The place is gone to the dogs. I'm originally from BCG myself and moved around 4 years ago and since I left I can now see that the place is taking a turn for the worst. I'm still regularly in and out of the place to visit family, friends etc and I won't even leave my car there overnight anymore. I'm constantly hearing stories of cars being broken into, stolen or in one particular case, turned on it's side outside the house! I haven't spotted the community patroling there in at least a year either. And now you can't even walk up the road without fear of being shot!! It's time the local councillor (who lives in the estate) stepped up and gets this problem sorted. Regular Garda patrols, CCTV, neighbourhood watch etc. Sorry for ranting, just not happy that the once lovely place I grew up in and still have a tight connection with is gone so bad

The man who went to the papers after a spate of wrecked cars and damage to people's property in the area and tried to pass it off as an exaggeration, but when his own car was broken into he was back in the papers complaining about crime and how it must have been a deliberate crime.:D

The only guy that actually seems to listen to people in the Ballinacurra road/Ballincacurra gardens area is Joe Leddin up in Southville.

At least he follows up on things and always sends out details of what can or cannot be done, and he makes a point to call back in person to any individuals who raise concerns. He seems to put dealing with the people of the area first, and getting his name into the paper second.

I have to be honest and say that I don't think the area is quite as bad as you say, but it is a lot worse than it was years ago, and I know who you are talking about with the car turned onto it's side.

In the week that was done, over a dozen other cars in one part of the estate had their windows smashed (as in every window in each car) and many of the houses in that run had their fronts damaged by a regular gang who used the street as a short cut for getting back to Weston. A couple of the faces in the gang of scum pop up in the papers every now and then with details of their latest suspended sentence.

Have a feeling that in ten more years the area will be similar to parts of Weston with scum making the lives of decent folk a misery more often than they do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Thanks a million for the heads up, I live in BCG so I'll defo keep an eye out and ring if I see anything. Its disgraceful behaviour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Thanks a million for the heads up, I live in BCG so I'll defo keep an eye out and ring if I see anything. Its disgraceful behaviour!

xiled sniper, what an apt name for action you could take, (not condoning any vigilante behaviour of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I lived in the area for years as well and always thought it a nice area but lately it has being going down hill there is always a load of scumbags hanging around at the lights just up from lidl. They were throwing stones at cars a dew weeks ago when I stopped the took off towards bcg I had no hope of catching the little fcukers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Its one of those areas that has a seemingly peaceful appearance but people should be wary around there. I had my car broken into twice in the area and I stay clear anymore if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Call the gardai .

Brandishing a RIF (realistic immitation fiream) in a public place is a prosicutable offence that carries jail time and fines.
    It doesnt have to be a real gun simply anything that a judge would deem to be realistic enough to convince a member of the public that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

hightower1 wrote: »
    Call the gardai .

Brandishing a RIF (realistic immitation fiream) in a public place is a prosicutable offence that carries jail time and fines.
    It doesnt have to be a real gun simply anything that a judge would deem to be realistic enough to convince a member of the public that it is.

How many people have there been in front of the courts with 60+ previous convictions and zero jail time. No judge, as it seems, would bother with a juvenille carrying a imitation firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Berty wrote: »
    How many people have there been in front of the courts with 60+ previous convictions and zero jail time. No judge, as it seems, would bother with a juvenille carrying a imitation firearm.
    Garnish the parents income(s). It's the only practical way.

Mmmmm, garnish.

• Advertisement

I agree with what you said about zero jail time being given to those with a track record of nothing but crime, but the guns I mentioned in the first post are not imitation guns, they seem to be air guns which fire pellets.

The friend of my mother had to get a metal pellet taken from under her skin after she was got by them.

Talking to my mother about it again last night and her friend defo does not want to go to the Gardai over it as they (the scum) said they had a picture taking of her and because of other things that have happened in the area in terms of damage done in the area where the Gardai got called and scum just came back and wrecked more cars and houses as a result.

There was an incident some time back where a load of cars where wrecked in Ballinacurra gardens and in Oakview drive and the gang that did it were still visible when the Gardai arrived. One garda was told that the gang that was seen doing the damage was just on the hill looking down at them. The Garda's response? He was busy taking the details of the damaged cars and organising for the cars to be taking away to be checked for fingerprints.

I was walking a friend home that night as she lives in BCG, and I walked past the whole thing with all the wrecked cars and lots of people out saying to that garda that the guys who did it were just a hundred feet or so away.

There is a feeling amongst a lot of people there that if you call the Gardai, and even if the gardai arrive, that nothing will get done and the scum will just come back and target your house for calling the gardai.

I know from experience of this as there was a problem at my own mother's house a few years back where scum got into her back garden and set stuff on fire. Her wooden garden shed was lit up and her oil tank was beside that.

she rang for help from the Gardai as the scum were still there. Then she rang me as I am nearby in Dooradoyle. I got there before the Gardai and the scum just cross the road and sat on the other side.

The fire got put out and still no Gardai.

So we rang them again as the scum were still there and I said to them that my mother who is in her 60's had rang 20 minutes earlier saying the scum were in the actual back garden setting things on fire and that the same scum were still across the road and that my mother had taken a picture of them with her camera whilst they were out the back garden and had shots of them climbing out over the wall as well as starting the fire.

And still no sign of the gardai arriving.

So I rang them for a third time and told them not to bother coming as I had something with me (cannot remember if I said a hurley, a baseball bat or a shotgun) and that I was going to sort it myself in the hope it might get a response from the gardai.

Long story short, the pictures were printed off and given to the gardai at the station a day or so later and they said they knew the scum but that charging them was a waste of time and that my mother would be better off seeing if her house insurance would cover the damage. So basically the attitude the scum have that they can do what they like in Limerick and not get punished was helped and reinforced by those particular gardai.

I did report them through the Ombudsman as I thought it was totally wrong that a woman in her 60's who phoned to say that the scum were still on her property setting things on fire could not get a garda car to come to her house.

I know that Gardai can have a tough job at times, but Roxboro station seems to be useless at the best of times as the phone often rings out or they simply do not show up at all when called for problems where the criminals are still on site.

Henry street I have found to be the total opposite and they show up every time a person says the scum are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Kess73 wrote: »
    The friend of my mother had to get a metal pellet taken from under her skin after she was got by them.
    :eek: Had assumed they were plastic BBs they were using...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kess - I think I saw somewhere that if you say "robbery" they will come straight away! Havent tested it out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I think the main concern of th OP right now is to get this lot moved on?
    If your in doubt the gardai will show just call ... let them know that there is a young male waking though xxx estate and he's brandishing a firearm.

As procedure the gardai will dispatch the ERU. MP7's, MP5's , sig p226' and full body armour will certainly move them on. Your well within your rights for this also, any call were the person can confirm of suspects a firearm in criminal activity has to be responded to. I am an arisoft collector myself and trust me I would fully expect the ERU to approach me if I decided to take a stroll with any one of my RIFs through an estate.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Kess - I think I saw somewhere that if you say "robbery" they will come straight away! Havent tested it out though

And hopefully you will never be in a position where you have to test it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

This is disgraceful! As a Airsoft user I find this awful. This is bad for everyone. I am hearing more and more about little kid's with airsoft pistols roaming the streets, remember the little kid in the park a few weeks ago?

This is not good news for the sport of airsoft.. If stuff like this keeps happening stricter rules will have to be brought in which will probably hamper the game!

I wish I could drive up to these scum and point my G36c RIF at them to scare them straight but two wrongs don't make a right I guess. That and it is idiotic :P

Also plastic pellets are called BB's metal ones are called pellets which I believe carry a more serious charge if caught using them (could be wrong though)

I think at the minimum there should be vetting and permits for airsoft RIFs but that is just me.

Limericks wrote: »
    This is disgraceful! As a Airsoft user I find this awful. This is bad for everyone. I am hearing more and more about little kid's with airsoft pistols roaming the streets, remember the little kid in the park a few weeks ago?

This is not good news for the sport of airsoft.. If stuff like this keeps happening stricter rules will have to be brought in which will probably hamper the game!

I wish I could drive up to these scum and point my G36c RIF at them to scare them straight but two wrongs don't make a right I guess. That and it is idiotic :P

Also plastic pellets are called BB's metal ones are called pellets which I believe carry a more serious charge if caught using them (could be wrong though)

I think at the minimum there should be vetting and permits for airsoft RIFs but that is just me.

Plus you could end up with someone drawing a real weapon on you.;)

It may not have been an airsoft gun used. From how it was described to me it sounds more like a traditional airgun than an airsoft replica. And it was indeed a pellet and not a BB that was fired.

hightower1 wrote: »
    I think the main concern of th OP right now is to get this lot moved on?
    If your in doubt the gardai will show just call ... let them know that there is a young male waking though xxx estate and he's brandishing a firearm.

As procedure the gardai will dispatch the ERU. MP7's, MP5's , sig p226' and full body armour will certainly move them on. Your well within your rights for this also, any call were the person can confirm of suspects a firearm in criminal activity has to be responded to. I am an arisoft collector myself and trust me I would fully expect the ERU to approach me if I decided to take a stroll with any one of my RIFs through an estate.

Not just to get them moved on, as that would only mean they would go toi some other area and do the same shyte.

My hope is that I, or someone who read this thread, will see them in action at some point, and then call the gardai and if any of them are not minors then I would hope to see them charged and removed from the streets.

My mother's friend does not want to speak with the Gardai and I have to respect her decision on that. But if I see the scrotes with the gun/guns, then I will have no hesitation in ringing the gardai and reporting the scum for what I see them doing.

Them getting their practise at shooting elderly people with airguns smells of them getting practise for when they get a real gun put into their hand and a target to get with it.

Normal kids don't need to carry guns around with them when hanging out, so the types with the guns should be treated as criminals and if they are too young for the law to touch them, then their parents should be done for neglect or whatever can stick for bringing their children up to be the types to carry weapons and attack elderly people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This seems to be the only country in Europe where the police force doesn't go after armed gangs because they're scared.
    of course they would never admit that and just quote a lot of rules, regulations and union bollocks to justify their inaction, but carry a gun like that in Germany and a bunch of very big guys, dressed in riot gear and armed to the teeth will arrive, 15 seconds later everyone will be on the ground and handcuffed (they carry a huge wad of cableties for that) and in various stages of agony/injury and only then will they start asking questions.
    Fascist law enforcement does have it's charm.

This seems to be the only country in Europe where the police force doesn't go after armed gangs because they're scared.
    of course they would never admit that and just quote a lot of rules, regulations and union bollocks to justify their inaction, but carry a gun like that in Germany and a bunch of very big guys, dressed in riot gear and armed to the teeth will arrive, 15 seconds later everyone will be on the ground and handcuffed (they carry a huge wad of cableties for that) and in various stages of agony/injury and only then will they start asking questions.
    Fascist law enforcement does have it's charm.

And that is not too much of an exaggeration either. I lived near Stuttgart for a time, and one night a Turkish guy kicked off in Schlossplatz with a metal bar in his hand.

He managed to hit maybe two lamp posts with his bar before members of the Schutzpolizei began to enter the square from four directions and the converged on him with no hesitation or sh1t taken.

I sat there with my drink watching bar dude get taken to the ground in a not so delicate fashion, and when the wall of green got off the guy (the uniform colour change had not started then) there was a van waiting to cart him away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

one saturday night in London I witnessed a dude hitting a random stranger for no reason--- roughly 8 seconds later about 10 cops were on him & he was in the wagon heading for a cell.Here they dont want to know about it. The difference is starke- I know few gaurds & they are in it for the paycheck. Roxborough gaurds are a disgrace to the uniform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Similar to the stories above, was on hols in Spain a few years ago, came out of a club at approx 6am only to be greeted with a line of cops in riot gear.

We obviously didnt stick around too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, some of those foreign cops take no sh*t.

I was in Santa Ponsa in Majorca in 2006 during the World Cup. Just after Portugal best England some tough Scottish Celtic supporters started throwing some serious abuse at a bunch of England supporters walking past the Irish Bar us and the Scots were in. Cue punches and bottles flying.

In less than 4-5 mins, jeep loads of Guardia Civil turned up with riot gear. Cue serious beatings being dished out and arrests made. The shock on the scumbags faces were unbelievable. They couldn't understand why the cops were so rough, and started to complain about their human rights! :D

My brother has some serious stories too about Vietnam, the cops and army there are nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They couldn't understand why the cops were so rough, and started to complain about their human rights! :D

Ah yes, the battlecry of the scumbag.
    A: I DONE NUT'IN' WRONG!
    B: I KNOW MY RIGHTS!

Okay, I've good news and bad news regarding this!

Bad news: I've had the unfortunate 'honour' of having a run in with the two little ****s that they we are on about, and was shot a few times once in the neck today, while I was talking to a mate of mine at the bus stop outside the old Esso station.

Good news: I've put a statement in with the guards, as I actually knew who one of them was, so hopefully we wont be seeing them around very much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    I love the way Celtic fans are constantly accused of being lowlife scum on this website.Its tiresome and pathetic

Deal with it. Don't drag threads off topic over it. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

If these young fellas are under 18 then its illegal for them to own an airsoft/bb gun.
    there are 2 types of so called pellet guns ,1st ones are airsoft which fire plastic 6mm balls which are legal to own once you are over 18,however you are not allowed to show/carry/use one in a public place,heavy fines and possible imprisonment are options open to the courts.
    2nd type are the ones which fire lead pellets,better known as airguns,these need a firearms certificate to own on as they are classed as firearms,penalities include up to 5 years in prison for owning one without a licence and even if you do have a licence the same rules apply for carrying in public etc.
    anyone who misuses these should be reported,,as one poster said its the legitimate airsoft user who suffers in the end,just like shooters who have suffered because of criminals.

daveob007 wrote: »
    If these young fellas are under 18 then its illegal for them to own an airsoft/bb gun.
    there are 2 types of so called pellet guns ,1st ones are airsoft which fire plastic 6mm balls which are legal to own once you are over 18,however you are not allowed to show/carry/use one in a public place,heavy fines and possible imprisonment are options open to the courts.
    2nd type are the ones which fire lead pellets,better known as airguns,these need a firearms certificate to own on as they are classed as firearms,penalities include up to 5 years in prison for owning one without a licence and even if you do have a licence the same rules apply for carrying in public etc.
    anyone who misuses these should be reported,,as one poster said its the legitimate airsoft user who suffers in the end,just like shooters who have suffered because of criminals.

One was either under or just on 18 from what i remember, or will be in the nsxt few weeks, the other looked about 14, they were using the 6mm bbs, on a red and black bodied cz type 27 (from what i could see at a glance anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

One was either under or just on 18 from what i remember, or will be in the nsxt few weeks, the other looked about 14, they were using the 6mm bbs, on a red and black bodied cz type 27 (from what i could see at a glance anyway)
    How long before they start using real weapons? The Gardai would want to deal very seriously with this crap.And then the courts.Alas, the court system in Ireland is unbelievably leniant.Thats why the thugs have no fear.

• Advertisement

Okay, I've good news and bad news regarding this!

Bad news: I've had the unfortunate 'honour' of having a run in with the two little ****s that they we are on about, and was shot a few times once in the neck today, while I was talking to a mate of mine at the bus stop outside the old Esso station.

Good news: I've put a statement in with the guards, as I actually knew who one of them was, so hopefully we wont be seeing them around very much.

Delighted that they will be caught, but not happy at you getting hit a few times.

Advertisement