Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

befriend1 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I have been looking through your posts the last two days and must say I am so impressed - you guys are amazing! I am back to WW for my third time and this time, I am at my BIGGEST, 19 stone and 3 and a half pounds :mad::mad: what has happened to me?! Anyway, I have to say I feel different this time..life is getting far too difficult being overweight and things have to change. I have been on my best behavior this week and even did Zumba for 30 mins for five of the days. I have my second weigh-in tonight and I really hope that a good loss will motivate me to keep going strong.

Quick question...

I have 43 points per day and use about 33 on food (including a WW microwave meal for dinner - as I am terrible at cooking, which is half the problem) and then I use most of the rest for treats. I have a VERY sweet tooth and I have been nibbling on WW bars and snacks! But still keeping within my points.. Is this OK? Or do you think it will go against me? I just find that still feeling a little bold and having the treats makes it a lot easier.

I have copied some of your recipes and food PP's from the threads, thank you! I will also be buying the Eating Out book tonight. :):)

Welcome Back! I also am a terrible cook but the fajitas are simple to make and so yummy! had the left over salsa with WW nachos last night for a guilt free 2pp. It's trial and error a lot of the time so just try some new things and post on here if you need any help! Good luck with WI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hey Guys

I have been looking through your posts the last two days and must say I am so impressed - you guys are amazing! I am back to WW for my third time and this time, I am at my BIGGEST, 19 stone and 3 and a half pounds :mad::mad: what has happened to me?! Anyway, I have to say I feel different this time..life is getting far too difficult being overweight and things have to change. I have been on my best behavior this week and even did Zumba for 30 mins for five of the days. I have my second weigh-in tonight and I really hope that a good loss will motivate me to keep going strong.

Quick question...

I have 43 points per day and use about 33 on food (including a WW microwave meal for dinner - as I am terrible at cooking, which is half the problem) and then I use most of the rest for treats. I have a VERY sweet tooth and I have been nibbling on WW bars and snacks! But still keeping within my points.. Is this OK? Or do you think it will go against me? I just find that still feeling a little bold and having the treats makes it a lot easier.

I have copied some of your recipes and food PP's from the threads, thank you! I will also be buying the Eating Out book tonight. :):)

You should try and move away from frozen meals as they are high in salt and sugar and are not satisfying. Get yourself a cookbook and try a few recipes. Have a look on Amazon for easy cookbooks. I was a terrible cook before WW and ate chicken burgers and waffles and pizzas. I got some cookbooks and some basic recipes off my mum and started from there. You will appreciate fresh food much more and it will keep you fuller for longer.

You really shouldn't be using 10PP on treats. You have to remember where your bad habits got you and try and break them. One or two treats a day is ok (WW friendly ones) or even three for now, but you should slowly try and cut that down to at most one per day and maybe a nicer treat at the weekends. For sweet tooth, you should try snacking on strawberries and raspberries. Also, options hot chocolate is only 1PP and really satisfies a chocolate craving. If you find you are not using all your PP in a day, try bulking your meals up with healthy fats like avocado and oily fish. Try having big fresh meals and you will be full so that should limit your need to snack.

Best of luck. I was 18 stone 3lb when I started weightwatchers and I am now 15 stone 5lb. Onwards and downwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

Hey Guys

Quick question...

Well I have to say that this thread has motivated me no end. I want to be able to say I lost however amounts of lbs like everyone else and get the pats on the back and all that! Although 10 points is a lot to be spending on treats, if you really feel you need them at this stage, like you are only starting out, but over the weeks you should try to get them down a bit. But all the best with it & good luck at your WI. I've mine tonite too! Eeeek! ;)

Actually, ask your leader about how many points you shoould be spending on treats when you're there tonight ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Just set one up myself! Jwacqui's one is a real inspiration. Not sure how good mine will be but have found it quite therapeutic writing about it!

Aww thanks! I'll go on now and follow yours! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

started WW last week so first WI tonight (gulp). I took a sneaky look at the scales last night and I wasn't even down half a pound so not feeling too optimistic. I didn't track my points very closely so that probably didn't help. But in any case I feel I did really well with eating the right things like lots of fruit and veg and cooking my own dinners.

I was in WW years ago before propoints; I quite like the new plan especially the emphasis on eating protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

hollypink wrote: »
    started WW last week so first WI tonight (gulp). I took a sneaky look at the scales last night and I wasn't even down half a pound so not feeling too optimistic. I didn't track my points very closely so that probably didn't help. But in any case I feel I did really well with eating the right things like lots of fruit and veg and cooking my own dinners.

I was in WW years ago before propoints; I quite like the new plan especially the emphasis on eating protein.

I was the same as you. I knew I did well ok with the food and kinda panicked when it came to the exercise. I moved a little bit more but it wasn't until maybe Monday when I actually went for a decent walk.

You should try tracking. I did that this week. I never used to. Well I would start it and maybe last 2 days then just wing it, but going on what all the people on here said I stuck to it this week. It works. If for nothing else it kinda embarrassed me when I actually saw how much I was eating.

I bet you will do great.... just remember that the fact that you are making changes shows you are moving in the right direction.... (Something my leader said last night.... really stuck in me head!)

I am exactly the same. WI tonite, didn't track to well, but feel I ate much healthier etc.

Good luck tonite eeek! ;)

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Aww thanks! I'll go on now and follow yours! :D

You're vid's are fab Jwacqui! Fair play to you!

Insipred me to, well write a blog (1st post last nite eeek!), not quite up to vid's just yet lol! :p

ali85 wrote: »
    I was the same as you. I knew I did well ok with the food and kinda panicked when it came to the exercise. I moved a little bit more but it wasn't until maybe Monday when I actually went for a decent walk.

You should try tracking. I did that this week. I never used to. Well I would start it and maybe last 2 days then just wing it, but going on what all the people on here said I stuck to it this week. It works. If for nothing else it kinda embarrassed me when I actually saw how much I was eating.

I bet you will do great.... just remember that the fact that you are making changes shows you are moving in the right direction.... (Something my leader said last night.... really stuck in me head!)

Speaking of tracking, I've started using that iWatcher iPhone app. It's good so far. Anyone else using it? How you finding it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 lizlemon

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I posted, or even caught up on this thread and it feels good to be back.

I was doing WW's last year in the run up to my wedding in November. Managed to lose 30 pounds in total and I was really happy with my progress. So after the wedding I left everything slide, ATE myself across California on Honeymoon, ate everything I could over Christmas and New Year and I turned up at WW's last Tuesday night to check out the damage...

12 POUNDS UP!!!!

I knew by my clothes that I had put up some weight but I really didn't think it would be that much.. Any way, the damage is done. I'm really glad I went back when I did, and now it's back on the WW's wagon for me. I'm trying to feel positive but I can't say it's fun to be 'RE-losing' weight. But, I am where I am, so onwards and downwards eh?

Just thought I'd share :)

lizlemon wrote: »
    Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I posted, or even caught up on this thread and it feels good to be back.

I was doing WW's last year in the run up to my wedding in November. Managed to lose 30 pounds in total and I was really happy with my progress. So after the wedding I left everything slide, ATE myself across California on Honeymoon, ate everything I could over Christmas and New Year and I turned up at WW's last Tuesday night to check out the damage...

12 POUNDS UP!!!!

I knew by my clothes that I had put up some weight but I really didn't think it would be that much.. Any way, the damage is done. I'm really glad I went back when I did, and now it's back on the WW's wagon for me. I'm trying to feel positive but I can't say it's fun to be 'RE-losing' weight. But, I am where I am, so onwards and downwards eh?

Well that's it, what has happened is in the past, be glad that you are now back on track & are determined to loose what needs be.

Welcome back (says me who's only a newbie lol!) :D

Speaking of tracking, I've started using that iWatcher iPhone app. It's good so far. Anyone else using it? How you finding it?

I'm on android and I'm finding terrible apps.... :(

One app I got is for charting your weight... so of course I stuck in my start weight last week, then last night put in my new weight... apparently there is a 2.5lb "trend variation"... which is whats showing up on the graphy thing... even though I lost 4... Now maybe i'm just a thick and its some really scientific thing... but hey! I lost 4lbs not 2.5lb!!! :P

The others like pedometers and such are rubbish.... I can't get one decent one!

Anyone find anything on Android that works?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Yeh i swear by it. Love that it saves the commonly eaten stuff in favourites, makes it so much easier to track. My biggest downfall before was how bad at tracking I was, but with iwatcher I have no excuse not too.I have my phone 90% of the time. And the fact there is a calculator on it means you can point stuff no matter where you are!

lizlemon wrote: »
    Hi All,

12 POUNDS UP!!!!

The fact you came back so quickly shows that you are definitely in the right frame of mind... just think...by summer that 12lbs will be long gone!!!

I am exactly the same. WI tonite, didn't track to well, but feel I ate much healthier etc.

Good luck tonite eeek! ;)

Good luck Baileypants!!!!!

Good luck to everyone else having their WI's tonight!!!! :D Onwards and Downwards!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeh i swear by it. Love that it saves the commonly eaten stuff in favourites, makes it so much easier to track. My biggest downfall before was how bad at tracking I was, but with iwatcher I have no excuse not too.I have my phone 90% of the time. And the fact there is a calculator on it means you can point stuff no matter where you are!

Ah that's great then! Thanks for that. I was using a fab app 'my fitness pal' before I joined WW, and it stored all my input foods, but you could also do a search of a food you hadn't input and it would come up as someone else in the world had more than likely input it & you could just select it. Now that would be fab if only it was all pointed lol!

Still delighted I've found the iWatcher now though! Points points points! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Had a look at some of yer blogs, they're very good, looking forward to reading more of them :)

Would be interested in haveing a look at Jwacqui's too if someone could direct me to it? Thanks!

intouch44 wrote: »
    Had a look at some of yer blogs, they're very good, looking forward to reading more of them :)

Would be interested in haveing a look at Jwacqui's too if someone could direct me to it? Thanks!

If you click on her name & go to her profile, it's under signature ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

started WW last week so first WI tonight (gulp). I took a sneaky look at the scales last night and I wasn't even down half a pound so not feeling too optimistic. I didn't track my points very closely so that probably didn't help.

As I feared - sts :( Not a great start but determined to track and do better next week.

Am sitting in my class waiting for everyone else to get weighed - down 2lbs! Not a bad start. Would like to b one of those people that lost 4 or 5 but anything's better than nothing! Definitely motivated for this week now! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hey Guys

Quick question...

Hey, you sound a lot like me! My starting weight was 19 st 2, even though I am six foot so I can carry some extra weight but not that much!!

For my first week I pointed everything but I did still have sweets and treats. I lost 2.5 my first week and the next week I stayed the same.

One week I had barely any treats - maybe one or two biscuits during the week and that was it and I lost 5 pounds!!

Technically you should still lose weight if stay within your points but you need to think about sustainability. You will find the weight comes off easier if you cut down on the treats.

It's a dangerous trap to fall into as well 'I have 6 points left over so I can have a bag of crisps and a bar of chocolate. Speaking personally, eating junk food made me overweight. It's not going to help me lose the weight.

For the first few weeks you will probably lose weight but it will get harder and harder if you use your points for treats.

Hope I haven't come across as harsh, just sharing my experiences.

Am sitting in my class waiting for everyone else to get weighed - down 2lbs! Not a bad start. Would like to b one of those people that lost 4 or 5 but anything's better than nothing! Definitely motivated for this week now! ;-)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! well done!!!!!! :D

As I feared - sts :( Not a great start but determined to track and do better next week.

Well just think if you weren't doing WW you could have been up!!! You are obviously doing something right!

Don't be worryin..... You won't know yourself next week!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

OK, so not posted here before so apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Long version of the story. Male, 40, for the last ten years, reasonably healthy, run about 15 miles a week, but fond of rich food and red wine. So for the last ten years have been sitting at about 14 stone, ten lbs, plus or minus a few pounds, and always felt I should try and get it down to the flat fourteen (which would be about right for my height and the weight I was in college) , but never really got motivated to do anything about it.

Anyway, about three months ago, we revamped the ground floor of our house. Which was three months without a kitchen. And getting less exercise because there was always wallpaper stripping, or painting or skirting boards. Three months of microwave meals, and take aways and pub grub. And then it was straight into Christmas. So when I measured up on the 28th, I was up nearly a stone.

Right, so that's it. Final straw. My wife feels the same, and we join weight watchers. I start running again. I end up with 44 propoints and she gets 26. Since I do most of the cooking, I generally cook for both of us, and we're coming in at the 26 mark most days (I occasionally bump mine to 30) Also back to running which buys me a few more points.

But two weeks in and I have actually gained a pound, while the missus has dropped two. So I suppose the short version of the question is

Do I have to use all the alloted points, and how does that work, or is it just that it takes a bit of time, to kick in and my body is hoarding because of my sudden change in calorie intake? I am actually really enjoying the new diet (the one good thing is that I feel less bloated all the time) and I really don't want to go back to nose bagging just to make up points that I really don't want to onboard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fionas046

Ellian wrote: »
    OK, so not posted here before so apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Long version of the story. Male, 40, for the last ten years, reasonably healthy, run about 15 miles a week, but fond of rich food and red wine. So for the last ten years have been sitting at about 14 stone, ten lbs, plus or minus a few pounds, and always felt I should try and get it down to the flat fourteen (which would be about right for my height and the weight I was in college) , but never really got motivated to do anything about it.

Anyway, about three months ago, we revamped the ground floor of our house. Which was three months without a kitchen. And getting less exercise because there was always wallpaper stripping, or painting or skirting boards. Three months of microwave meals, and take aways and pub grub. And then it was straight into Christmas. So when I measured up on the 28th, I was up nearly a stone.

Right, so that's it. Final straw. My wife feels the same, and we join weight watchers. I start running again. I end up with 44 propoints and she gets 26. Since I do most of the cooking, I generally cook for both of us, and we're coming in at the 26 mark most days (I occasionally bump mine to 30) Also back to running which buys me a few more points.

But two weeks in and I have actually gained a pound, while the missus has dropped two. So I suppose the short version of the question is

Do I have to use all the alloted points, and how does that work, or is it just that it takes a bit of time, to kick in and my body is hoarding because of my sudden change in calorie intake? I am actually really enjoying the new diet (the one good thing is that I feel less bloated all the time) and I really don't want to go back to nose bagging just to make up points that I really don't want to onboard anyway.

The short answer is yes, you need to use all or most of your allocated points every day. If you don't it means your body is not getting enough of the nutrients it needs and therefore goes into starvation mode. It basically hangs onto to fat 'just in case' instead of getting rid of it.
    If you doing intensive excercise like running you actually need to eat more! God I wish I was a man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

Hey Guys

Quick question...

Best of luck with it! Once you get into the swing of it, you'll be grand....

I am also my biggest ever at 15st 2....Last time I did WW, I was 13st 9, and I couldn't believe I was that....
    Still though...I know we can do it.....

But surely the body can't hang onto the fat indefinitely. I mean instead of looking at this as propoints and look at calories, if I am using about 2000 a day and maybe another 300 if I go for a run and only taking onboard 1500, then surely eventually my body has to reluctantly start to burn into the fat reserves to make up the balance. I know this is not following the weight watchers bible but I really don't think I can go back to eating bacon sandwiches just to add another 14 points to my daily intake. (I think I am getting enough nutrients by the way because I am being very careful about protiens, carbs, fibre, and vitamins - I worked out a weekly diet and am sticking to it) And I apologise also if turning up and having a moan about not being able to use up my points is considered really bad form. Although I imagine it goes at the end of a long list of biological reasons why women got the fuzzy end of the lollipop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Monife wrote: »
    What are the Aldi skinless sausages like? Sounds brill. Was just in Aldi today :( Will get them in next weeks shop. I always got the bacon medallions because I actually hate fat on anything (ha you wouldn't think that from the size of me lol). My fave weekend brekkie is 2 bacon medallions, 1 fried egg (in low cal spray), some fried potatoes (in 1 tsp oil) and half tin of beans. Lovely huge brekkie for also 9PP (depending on how much potatoes you use, 150g is enough when they are sliced thinly). Nom nom nom

Apologies for the awful delay in replying to this, Monife! I actually like the Aldi sausages, while the OH wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I think it's all down to taste, but to me, they don't taste much different to any other skinless brand!
    MILF wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good weighing scales that doesn't cost a bomb? Need to weigh up properly and I dropped my one this morning and cracked the bloody thing! :mad:

I got mine in Argos ages back, the brand is Salter and it wasn't too expensive (can't remember actual price, apologies) and it's 100% bang on accurate. Had a little packet weighing session just to make sure!
    But surely the body can't hang onto the fat indefinitely. I mean instead of looking at this as propoints and look at calories, if I am using about 2000 a day and maybe another 300 if I go for a run and only taking onboard 1500, then surely eventually my body has to reluctantly start to burn into the fat reserves to make up the balance. I know this is not following the weight watchers bible but I really don't think I can go back to eating bacon sandwiches just to add another 14 points to my daily intake. (I think I am getting enough nutrients by the way because I am being very careful about protiens, carbs, fibre, and vitamins - I worked out a weekly diet and am sticking to it) And I apologise also if turning up and having a moan about not being able to use up my points is considered really bad form. Although I imagine it goes at the end of a long list of biological reasons why women got the fuzzy end of the lollipop.

I have to confess, I've no idea about calories any more since I started WW. I just know that you're given a points allowance based on your current weight, height, sex and age, and that will decrease once you begin losing weight. You do have to eat your daily allowance, but there are ways to do that without grazing on stuff you don't want - bulk out your meals with more carbohydrates or proteins, or bulk up wraps/salads with healthy fats like avocados. Just another small thing - you said that you've worked out a weekly diet and are sticking to it - vary it up a bit because there's potential there for you to get really sick of that after a few weeks, it happened to me and I was flying with the weight loss before hand. Anyway - I'm not a leader, so don't take my word as gospel, but if I were you I'd have a chat with your leader at the end of your next class and see if he/she has anything that would help you. Best of luck!

Had WI tonight, was down 2.5 - that's the Christmas weight plus another half pound gone. Phew! Doing out my shopping list tonight - I made a rule last week that I was not going to have bloody lemon sole or chicken fillets for the week (so sick of them), have replaced them with turkey steaks and fresh coley - lovely for a change. Only 2lbs more to go and I'll be into the 13s for the first time in years!!!!!!!

Sorry for the he-uge rant, I always go into super-hyper-motivated mode on Thursday evenings :/ Best of luck for the week everyone, we can do it :Dxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Based on you generally eating 26pp per day there is no wayuou are consuming 2000 calories. Roughly speaking 1pp = 40 calories which is 1040.... I'm sure you are eating zero pointed foods too so that would add more cals.

Yes if you eat less you will eventually lose but it will be extremely slow & you may find your body hanging onto the fat. The biggest issue as I would see it would be the types of food you are eating if you are eating so little relative to the pp you have been allocated. I'm surprised a man would feel fully satisfied on 26pp. If I was you I'd up my protein ( great for ppl who run alot as well) I'd also really examine what I'm eating. You haven't given much of an example so I can't be more helpful here.

Me personally im female on 29pp per day & I have found my weightloss slow generally 0.5 -1lb per week in 11 months I've lost 33lbs ( I took 1 mth off) & I'm happy with that pace I want to lose 21 more. Based on What you've said you have about 2 stone to lose is that right? That's not a huge amount for a man if you are happy to lose it slowly. But to be honest if I was at this 2 weeks with no loss I would be examining my tracker to see what's wrong. Be sure to eat plenty of whole grains fruit veg & protien & definitely drink alot of water 2 ltrs a day if possible. I would never advocate junk food treats or a Bacon sambo to use up my dailies but I would maybe add an avocado to a salad for 8-9pp use olive oil for say 1pp instead of that additive in a can spray oil which is zero an extra portion of say chicken for 2-3 & maybe an extra 20g of brown rice or something for 2.

Are you using your weeklies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

You could try bulking up your meals with high point healthy proteins and fats. I understand your logic and I would be of the opinion that the body eventually will have to lose the fat, but WW does say you need to eat all your points to lose weight and especially if you are exercising. Even if you eat all your points, you are only consuming approximately 1800 calories (I worked out that approx 40 calories is equal to 1PP). That is not including fruit and veg though. Try eating at least 40 of your PP this week and see what happens.

Also, are you drinking enough water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

Well done you! Great motivation! keep it up! Just back in from a walk now!

Congrats on all the great losses on here ye are all doing great fair play & great motivation for all you newbies :)

I would suggest that if you're looking for tips or some recipes do s search on this thread & our old WW thread which g'em has linked in the first post of this thread there are some lovely soup & lunch ideas & tasty dinners if ppl get bored! :)

I would definitely vary up the foods you're eating not only will you get bored (LOL at the lemon sole & chicken comment ^ up there) but your body will get bored & as some of us veterans have found will not shift the bloody weight! Variety I'd the spice of life & all that jazz ;)

So good week so far exercised alot I've ran 20k so far this week & I'll prob do another 5 tomorrow tracked everything so Hopi g for a loss when I WI @ the weekend.

The even better part is I was at my Dr's this week I had blood pressure monitoring for 24 hrs ( I've had high bp in the past) & all my resdings were in the normal range. I also got bloods done for diabetes & cholestrol & they all came back perfect - so relieved but also delighted to know that my change in lifestyle is having a positive effect on my health :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

It's my one year weight watchers anniversary this week:) Have lost over 6stone now, haven't been to a meeting since October*literally have been up the walls!) but have managed to keep it off and lose more! Still sticking to my 29 points but reading here( well scanning through the posts!) I see there's changes to the points?:confused:

Ps sorry for all the typos! I'm typing on my iPhone - I may be 33lb down but I still got me some fat fingers! ;)

Hey newbee good to see you again & happy anniversary! :) fair play on the maintenance!

Yes some changes on the pp for new members starting the minimum can now be set at 26 ( they reccomend 23 for food & 3 for milk) ppl who were already on 29 & finding their weightloss slow have the option of dropping down to 26 if they wish.

I'm sticking to my 29 yes my loss is slow but it's steady & manageable & I don't feel deprived or on a diet so if it ain't broke! ;)

Well done! 2lbs is great :) And onto a new week and another loss now!

Kay_80 wrote: »
    Based on you generally eating 26pp per day there is no wayuou are consuming 2000 calories. Roughly speaking 1pp = 40 calories which is 1040.... I'm sure you are eating zero pointed foods too so that would add more cals.

Yes if you eat less you will eventually lose but it will be extremely slow & you may find your body hanging onto the fat. The biggest issue as I would see it would be the types of food you are eating if you are eating so little relative to the pp you have been allocated. I'm surprised a man would feel fully satisfied on 26pp. If I was you I'd up my protein ( great for ppl who run alot as well) I'd also really examine what I'm eating. You haven't given much of an example so I can't be more helpful here.

Me personally im female on 29pp per day & I have found my weightloss slow generally 0.5 -1lb per week in 11 months I've lost 33lbs ( I took 1 mth off) & I'm happy with that pace I want to lose 21 more. Based on What you've said you have about 2 stone to lose is that right? That's not a huge amount for a man if you are happy to lose it slowly. But to be honest if I was at this 2 weeks with no loss I would be examining my tracker to see what's wrong. Be sure to eat plenty of whole grains fruit veg & protien & definitely drink alot of water 2 ltrs a day if possible. I would never advocate junk food treats or a Bacon sambo to use up my dailies but I would maybe add an avocado to a salad for 8-9pp use olive oil for say 1pp instead of that additive in a can spray oil which is zero an extra portion of say chicken for 2-3 & maybe an extra 20g of brown rice or something for 2.

You're right on the zero calories. Lots of fruit and veg in the diet which is probably why I am struggling to meet the points (I eat fish but generally not meat unless it's a special occasion) Breakfast is a bowl of porridge with blueberries or a boiled egg and a slice of toast. Lunch is a salad - one of ten different types usually in the five-seven point range and dinner is usually rice, couscous or pasta based with veggies. Usually comes in around the 10-12 point mark. add in a couple of cups of tea with semi skimmed milk with no sugar and as I said, it is usually around the 26-30 mark. I usually end up supplementing those meals with a couple of pieces of fruit a day, but overall I have not found myself feeling hungry at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mumof3andboy

New to the ProPoints system for ww and I'm on my first week. Don't know if I'm eating too much but sure we'll see at the first weigh in next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mumof3andboy

New to the ProPoints system for ww and I'm on my first week. Don't know if I'm eating too much but sure we'll see at the first weigh in next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Biggest tip I could give anyone new or anyone wondering why they're gaining instead of losing,,is track EVERYTHING!
    I know it sounds cliched but I hadn't been tracking everything, then one week I tracked absolutely every single thing..I even managed to have wine all weekend and I lost 4 and a half pounds.
    I'd done nothing different, food-wise, just tracked everything.
    Dont be afraid to write it all down-nobody's going to look at your book!
    Good luck everyone.I hope this year is the year I do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Thanls kay, think im going to stick to 29 as well, if i went to 26 i would be starving the whole time!

You're right on the zero calories. Lots of fruit and veg in the diet which is probably why I am struggling to meet the points (I eat fish but generally not meat unless it's a special occasion) Breakfast is a bowl of porridge with blueberries or a boiled egg and a slice of toast. Lunch is a salad - one of ten different types usually in the five-seven point range and dinner is usually rice, couscous or pasta based with veggies. Usually comes in around the 10-12 point mark. add in a couple of cups of tea with semi skimmed milk with no sugar and as I said, it is usually around the 26-30 mark. I usually end up supplementing those meals with a couple of pieces of fruit a day, but overall I have not found myself feeling hungry at all.

Would you mind letting me know your 10 salads you use? I struggle to find salad ideas other than the usual chicken, tomato, cucumber etc. Thanks a mil! :-)

Monife wrote: »
    What are the Aldi skinless sausages like? Sounds brill. Was just in Aldi today :( Will get them in next weeks shop. I always got the bacon medallions because I actually hate fat on anything (ha you wouldn't think that from the size of me lol). My fave weekend brekkie is 2 bacon medallions, 1 fried egg (in low cal spray), some fried potatoes (in 1 tsp oil) and half tin of beans. Lovely huge brekkie for also 9PP (depending on how much potatoes you use, 150g is enough when they are sliced thinly). Nom nom nom

Apologies for the awful delay in replying to this, Monife! I actually like the Aldi sausages, while the OH wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I think it's all down to taste, but to me, they don't taste much different to any other skinless brand!
    MILF wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good weighing scales that doesn't cost a bomb? Need to weigh up properly and I dropped my one this morning and cracked the bloody thing! :mad:

I got mine in Argos ages back, the brand is Salter and it wasn't too expensive (can't remember actual price, apologies) and it's 100% bang on accurate. Had a little packet weighing session just to make sure!

I have to confess, I've no idea about calories any more since I started WW. I just know that you're given a points allowance based on your current weight, height, sex and age, and that will decrease once you begin losing weight. You do have to eat your daily allowance, but there are ways to do that without grazing on stuff you don't want - bulk out your meals with more carbohydrates or proteins, or bulk up wraps/salads with healthy fats like avocados. Just another small thing - you said that you've worked out a weekly diet and are sticking to it - vary it up a bit because there's potential there for you to get really sick of that after a few weeks, it happened to me and I was flying with the weight loss before hand. Anyway - I'm not a leader, so don't take my word as gospel, but if I were you I'd have a chat with your leader at the end of your next class and see if he/she has anything that would help you. Best of luck!

Had WI tonight, was down 2.5 - that's the Christmas weight plus another half pound gone. Phew! Doing out my shopping list tonight - I made a rule last week that I was not going to have bloody lemon sole or chicken fillets for the week (so sick of them), have replaced them with turkey steaks and fresh coley - lovely for a change. Only 2lbs more to go and I'll be into the 13s for the first time in years!!!!!!!

Sorry for the he-uge rant, I always go into super-hyper-motivated mode on Thursday evenings :/ Best of luck for the week everyone, we can do it :Dxxx

Congrats on your weight loss! Fabulous daa-ling :-)

Funny enough your diet sounds very similar to my own :) I just want to remind you that fruit & veg does have calories but is allocated zero pp. Might I suggest that you swap to full fat milk that will give you a couple more points & I would reccomend adding some pulses, nuts & seeds to your diet I was veggie for 15 yrs then ate fish but still predominately veggie for 20 yrs so I can't emphasise the importance of getting good fats & protien enough. It might me a good idea to work out exactly what you are eating calorie wise first there are some great apps & websites that help you here so get calorific content of all fruit/ veg you are eating too & see what you come up with.

Once you know what you are actually eating it will be easier to identify if you need to up or down your intake - not exactly pp but it is basic nutrition. You might be consuming more calories than you think. Example bananas & grapes are fairly high calorie wise relative to other fruits - I'm not saying cut them out but just be mindful.

I would say maybe be careful of your carb intake if the bulk of diet is made up of zero pointed foods - excess carb can hamper weightloss. I'm not an nutrition expert but I think protein is harder for the body to break down so is more effective for weightloss than carb.

Examples of how to add seeds nuts etc. Some flax seed to your porridge, some pinenuts lightly toasted to your salad a small handful of nuts as a snack instead of a piece of fruit. Tinned pulses are a good way to get started if you haven't eaten them alot before chickpeas, butter beans kidney beans are all great & easy ways to make a hearty decent stew chilli etc.

It's great you don't feel deprived but my concern would be that you continue to not lose or put up weight then get pissed off & revert to old habits of rich food red wine & or take away & the vicious cycle starts. There is room for red wine & rich food the odd time on pp so be sure to incorporate that every now & again! To my mind this isn't an 'all or nothing plan' there is room to live life & eat the things you like.

Failing all the above advice I would suggest that you vary up your exercise regime if you've always run 15 miles a week that's what your body is used to vary it maybe try some cycling or swimming & try weights a couple of days as well they are great for burning & the fitness forum can help you there :)

Best of luck!

Would you mind letting me know your 10 salads you use? I struggle to find salad ideas other than the usual chicken, tomato, cucumber etc. Thanks a mil! :-)

I generally play around with everything. Rocket, spinach leaves, raddichio, basil, goats cheese, mozarella (with all the cheeses a very little goes a long way), pine nuts, peaches, apples, clementines, grapes, pears, peaches, carrots, beetroot, tuna, red onions, horseradish, sundried tomatoes, olives, prawns, baby potatoes, broad beans, french beans, chilis, courgettes, cucumbers, lemon, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Playing around with all of those usually gives you some god results. E.g for lunch today, I have tuna, beetroot, spinach and red onions with a light oil dressing. Yesterday was sundried tomatoes and goats cheese with mixed leaves.

• Advertisement

and thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll continue for another week and if I'm not seeing any results, I'll rethink a thing or two.

Ellian I'd suggest you read the stickies on the main part of the N&D forum they give great advice for the most part I think you need to look at your diet as a whole including calorie intake & not really just PP. Failing thst show your tracker to your leader at your nxt WI be sure to track everything including the zero pointed foods & the quantities eaten As I said best of luck.

I've been reading the thread all week but not had the time to post & it's great to see so many new names but still see the oldies as well now I don't want to sound preachy or a know it all but .......

WW is great for a starting point but I think all of us need to Be more aware of the nutritional content of foods & the ingredients in the foods we either buy or prepare ourselves. It's to easy to fall into the trap of oh that's only 3 pp but that's 8pp so I'll eat the 3pp item. Example a 25g pkt of baked S&V crisps or an avocado Clearly the avocado is better for you but is higher in pp . And sometimes you want the crisps & that's okay too everything In moderation - including the avocado!

Be wary of all the WW ready meals, snacks treats breads etc they shouldn't make up the core of your diet & oftentimes contain a really high level of salt artificial sweeteners etc. Its easy for ppl to fall into that trap. A friend of mine did it for 8 mths a ready meal for dinner every day so she could lose 3 stine for her wedding - she lost the weight alright & once the wedding was over reverted to her pre ww eating habits & is now 18 mths later 4 stone up! Her excuse was she didnt know how to cook before & she liked the ww ready meals, wraps with salad etc because they were easy, pre pointed & quick. She sees how ive done it & realises losing weight really dors tske alot of effort - if it was easy none of us would be here! Or overweight at all!

Sometimes the 'full fat' item is actually better for you. Homemade is always better than shop bought or preprepared & plastic boxes, ziplock bags a freezer & bulk cook offs are definitely your friend when you can find the time to do it. Preparation is key :)
    It's very easy to fall into the trap of ive found 7 dinners & 7 lunches & that's all I'm going to eat until all the weight comes off with porridge for breakfast trust me you'll get bored quickly. WW is a great opportunity to try new foods, cook a little more & experiment :)

All the blogs are great btw keep up the great work!

Does anyone know anything about those airfryers? The ones that use very little to no oil and gives the same results as deep frying? Sounds too good to be true to me, but I'm always interested in new kitchen gadgets. My oven is rubbish and making homemade oven chips is pretty much out of the question til my landlord decides to replace it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well after what I thought was a brill week! exercised at least 5 days out of the week if not 6 and but I felt it! kept to my PP points and ended the week with some weeklies left, I was up 1.5 was a little surprised to say the least! using the wii fit a lot and it showed a great loss Wednesday morning so I was expecting to be down something, not up!
    My hubby was sure it was because we had a late dinner, so with his thinking I should have been down this morning nope up again :cool: and I had a good day yesterday tracked and more exercise!

so very confused but will keep going regardless, hope it sorts it self out quickly though!

Ellian I'd suggest you read the stickies on the main part of the N&D forum they give great advice for the most part I think you need to look at your diet as a whole including calorie intake & not really just PP. Failing thst show your tracker to your leader at your nxt WI be sure to track everything including the zero pointed foods & the quantities eaten As I said best of luck.

I've been reading the thread all week but not had the time to post & it's great to see so many new names but still see the oldies as well now I don't want to sound preachy or a know it all but .......

WW is great for a starting point but I think all of us need to Be more aware of the nutritional content of foods & the ingredients in the foods we either buy or prepare ourselves. It's to easy to fall into the trap of oh that's only 3 pp but that's 8pp so I'll eat the 3pp item. Example a 25g pkt of baked S&V crisps or an avocado Clearly the avocado is better for you but is higher in pp . And sometimes you want the crisps & that's okay too everything In moderation - including the avocado!

Be wary of all the WW ready meals, snacks treats breads etc they shouldn't make up the core of your diet & oftentimes contain a really high level of salt artificial sweeteners etc. Its easy for ppl to fall into that trap. A friend of mine did it for 8 mths a ready meal for dinner every day so she could lose 3 stine for her wedding - she lost the weight alright & once the wedding was over reverted to her pre ww eating habits & is now 18 mths later 4 stone up! Her excuse was she didnt know how to cook before & she liked the ww ready meals, wraps with salad etc because they were easy, pre pointed & quick. She sees how ive done it & realises losing weight really dors tske alot of effort - if it was easy none of us would be here! Or overweight at all!

Sometimes the 'full fat' item is actually better for you. Homemade is always better than shop bought or preprepared & plastic boxes, ziplock bags a freezer & bulk cook offs are definitely your friend when you can find the time to do it. Preparation is key :)
    It's very easy to fall into the trap of ive found 7 dinners & 7 lunches & that's all I'm going to eat until all the weight comes off with porridge for breakfast trust me you'll get bored quickly. WW is a great opportunity to try new foods, cook a little more & experiment :)

All the blogs are great btw keep up the great work!

You've a great knowledge on all this stuff Kay! I'm sure I'll be picking your brain over the weeks :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement