Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24mb Broadband Joke?

Options
  • 19-05-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi
    I just got broadband last week. I started off with 8mb from Eircom which lived up to its name and worked the way you'd expect. This week I decided to upgrade to 24mb.
    Well so far NO good! I have used pingtest.net, giving a grade of between A to F?! I used this with the 8mb package and it always got an A.
    I have also tried out speedtest.net and the ping is going anywhere between 20 to 700!

Now my main concern is the download speed from speedtest.net. Image below
    1302917825.png

It was getting between 6 and 10?! with 8mb broadband n its getting the exact same with allegedly 24mb even though also the router is saying 17mb.

Its kinda crappy to be paying double the price for the same speed but just more bandwidth. If there is an Eircom rep please let me know whats going on. From Portarlington by the way.

Edit...
    Pic below was tested just a moment ago.

1302946456.png

Please sort this out Eircom.

Comments

Go onto http://192.168.1.254 and see what you line sync speed is. If the max you getting is 10Mb, I would say your synced at 12Mb. Just because your signed up to 24Mb, doesnt mean your line can handle it. Very few Eircom lines can handle the full 24Mb. You have to be practically living in or next door to the exchange to get full speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Can you get UPC?

Here is UPC 25Meg http://www.speedtest.net/result/1302958167.png1302958167.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I found speedtest.net to be very inaccurate for ping times on the family's Perlico connection. Times of up to 100ms when in reality Irish servers would be reached in 55ms. On a line which they insist on maintaining very high DSL interleaving.

I just tried with an eircom 8 mbps connection, the ping time from speedtest.net was accurate this time.

It could be worth bearing in mind.

ping www.rte.ie is the command that always works best for me. And the ftp.heanet.ie website for download speed tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jdman

Model Number: P-660HW-T1 v3
    Serial Number: S100Y38049993
    MAC Address: 50:67:f0:7e:44:ce
    ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.70(BOE.4)D0 | 08/23/2010
    DSL Firmware Version: DMT FwVer: 3.11.11.245_A_TC
    System Uptime: 2:34:53
    Current Date/Time:
    System Mode: Routing / Bridging
    CPU Usage:

31.26%
    Memory Usage:

27%

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 17404 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 10 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 10 dB /17 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.46.127.176
    Default Gateway: 159.134.155.9
    First DNS: 213.94.190.194(dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236(dns2.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS: 0.0.0.0

The 8mb connection tests went good, very stable. 24mb connection seems all over the shop. Exchange is literally on the same road as me. About 200metres away max.

That's a very healthy broadband connection. Perhaps eircom could increase the speed if you ask them, I think the next profile speed is 19 mbps.

What speeds are files downloaded at? Speedtests don't matter in comparison to your actual download usage!

• Advertisement

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and let you know. I think our exchange is still going through some work for 24mb connections. I should be hitting 20 to 22mb from my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

ask to go up one notch to the to 19mb profile, 24 is a bridge to far looking at your stats

Got upped to 24 cap, well actually 22 something something but still no difference, better or worse. But download speeds are good, I'm thinking maybe the exchange is still not fully upgraded.

Found out the problem. Probably most of you knew this but anyways. Eircoms router they supply doesn't handle 802.11n wireless. When I connected my connection direct I got 21mb+. So happy now. Just gonna buy a better router with 802.11n. Thanks for the replies ppl.

Hah, I never asked about wireless. I had about 18 mbps off BT before but I always got full speed with BT on wifi (about 1.7 MB/s download speeds). I still think Speedtest.net can't be trusted though.

• Advertisement

Today another router came to my house from Eircom. Same model, Zyxel p660hw t1 v3. I'm only after thinking of the wierdest thing. Firslty I plugged in the second router and replaced the first. There was no difference. But then, I plugged in the first router and put the ethernet cable in socket 1 of both routers. Now my speed is about 18mb on wireless. Strange huh...

Advertisement