Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast growing trees that are low in maintenance?

Options
  • 19-05-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend something? Just want to set some along the wall of my house to give me more privacy? while I accept nothing is maintenance free,obviously the lower maintenance the better. Also the area is a bit wild already at the moment as in wild with giant weeds, so I'd like something that could grow in a clustered environment.

Any suggestions?.

Danke
    F

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usually speed of growth and maintenance go hand in hand. so fast growing = high maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Freiheit wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend something? Just want to set some along the wall of my house to give me more privacy? while I accept nothing is maintenance free,obviously the lower maintenance the better. Also the area is a bit wild already at the moment as in wild with giant weeds, so I'd like something that could grow in a clustered environment.

Any suggestions?.

Danke
    F

If I were you, I'd control these "giant Weeds" before doing ANY planting ... it be easier and cheaper with less hassle.

Most "Garden" Plants can not compete easily with weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Bamboo is very fast growing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

Bamboo is a good suggestion, and should compete well enough with weeds. Also Cotoneaster 'Cornubia' is a nice tree, vigorous, evergreen, with flowers and berries and grows to about 20 feet. Malus 'Gorgeous' is lovely too, not evergreen but with appleblossom in spring and red fruit in autumn, and again doesn't get too tall. Or you could go for Hazel, and hopefully get a crop in time..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I forsee the dreaded Leylandii cropping up.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Freiheit wrote: »

Any suggestions?.

Danke
    F

Miscanthus sinensis

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Miscanthus sinensis

There are many species of that. Any suggestions which one ? Will it survive winters like the last one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Poulgorm wrote: »
    There are many species of that. Any suggestions which one ? Will it survive winters like the last one ?

M.S. Silberfeder (silver feather) is a very good variety, tall, green and fluffy. Very hardy, I cut mine back to ground level every 3 years or so, and it rebounds with amazing style and vigour.

A beautiful and graceful grass. A smaller alternative is Miscanthus Zebrinius (or commonly known as 'Zebra Grass'). It gets its name from the small horizontal yellow markings. interesting but lacks the ornamental value and style of the taller M.S.S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

zathan wrote: »
    Bamboo is very fast growing!

And quite invasive too,if not kept in check,it can very easily sprout new roots all over the garden and under wall foundations and into neighbours gardens.;)

Advertisement