Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Professional club status

Options
  • 19-05-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

I've only got back into FM a few weeks ago so I might as well be a complete noob considering the length its been since I last played it properly, I have a couple of questions though.

I've taken FC Carlow (the local team :)) into the Irish Premier Division and now I'd like to know the following....

1) Can I ever change their status from semi-professional to professional?

2) What (if anything) am I missing out on by never achieving professional status?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and the thread I found was from 2004.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

No expert here and havn't purchased the game since the 2009 version.

I think turning professional is all about the money. The team won't turn until it can afford the increased wages and costs. You'd have to pay backup players minumum wages that will likely break your back.

Downsides to being part-time I guess would mean the players spending less time training and the coaches spending less time coaching. Though unless it's changed you can just offer your higher payed players and top coaches professional contracts anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've managed LOI in older versions (Kilkenny City) and despite having a squad of well known professionals, all of them on full-time wages, all staff on full time wages, I was never given full-time status. How as ever, the last version I had, 2007, I got my favorite team, Lausanne-Sport to change to professional.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You can change from Part-Time to Full-Time based on finances and performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

In FM 11 when you talk to the board there'll be an option appear to request turning professional when it becomes finacially viable.

In my old game i was able to turn Cork City from semi-pro to pro after a few seasons so it is possible.

The advantage of professional status is you'll be able to attract better players and i think it helps improve fitness and training for players since their full time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As said above, the board decide based on your clubs financial situation. I actually think you can request it in FM 2011 in a board meeting, I'm open for correction on that one. I've found the advantages are better player fitness, they tend to last the 90mins better, plust they train better, and stats are more likely to improve. Also you can attract better players. Some guys won't be interested in joining, even if you can offer them a full time contract, if the club isn't fully professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rather than starting a new thread...

How much money does a club in LOI need to turn pro?

Advertisement