Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Rack Recommendations for Kayak

Options
  • 19-05-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I have bought an Ocean Malibu Kayak and I have roof bars on my car. Could anybody please offer some advice as to which is best how to mount the kayak to the roof bars i.e. using J support, foam pads. I have tried many websites and Thule are offering expensive solutions, I was more on the line of using a bracket (Fasty Winch, which I can't find here in Ireland) attached to the roof bar and running a strap off that, with some foam on the bottom. Any advice much appreciated, thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

If you are just transporting one Kayak why not just place it upside down on the bars and strap down well - maybe get some foam wraparounds for the bars to cushion a bit.

Some good advice here - http://paddling.about.com/od/paddling101/ss/kayak_roof_rack_3.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

hi mike i just turn the kayak upside down and use 2 lockable straps to secure
    also a handy tip, is the lagging foam used on pipes fits perfect around my roof rack and only costs about a euro for a meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Unless you're Ahnuld Schwarzenegger, you're not going to do any damage to the boat by tying it straight to the bars. Couple of cam straps and Bob's your uncle.
    J Bars are more suited to composite boats and sea kayaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Many thanks for your suggestions!!
    Cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

be very careful with ratchet straps. they are easy to over tighten and damage your boat.

something like rhino straps are a better option, and dispite the look of them theyre plenty strong enough, just tie a knot after the clamp to be safe and youre away. much faster than ratchet straps too.

something like;
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roofrack-Accessories-Palm-Roofrack-Straps-Kayak-Canoe-/320613697482?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Canoeing_Kayaking_ET&var=&hash=item76bf8502c4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

They're called cam straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Just be sure the boat is secured. As the driver your responsible for your load. And losing the boat at 100km/h on the road can be very messy.

I always buy a decent roof rack and straps. Peace of mind.

Advertisement