Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter Slapping everyone

Options
  • 19-05-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

We have a 1 year old Daughter and she has started to slap us and other members of the family.

Is this just a phase or is she just being bold?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

A phase I'd imagine, our 16 month old does the same. all we do is put him down and tell him that he can't slap/hurt people and make him give us a hug afterwards. Hopefully he'll grow out of it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

My son is a year as well. He slaps and bites. All my friends say its a
    stage and they grow out of it. Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bashful

Thanks hopefully she grows out of it soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It could be attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

hiya,
    had this with our little boy. just say slapping is not allowed / never allowed. i used to put him down if he slapped me. Say that I wouldn't be able to pick up him until he said sorry. then there would be tears, then when he said sorry (which could take a long while) we had a hug and were best friends. It did pass, it was a phase but you do not want your child hitting anybody so try and show them that it is just not on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Ah the slapping phase! I'd say almost every child goes through this phase at that age. Testing their environment etc.

just tell them it's wrong and to stop and it should pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I was listening to Ray D'Arcy this morning and they had an 'expert' on.. She said that at this age something that works is to stand behind the child and hold their arms down by their sides until they start to struggle or whinge, and then you say 'when you slap it means you want mammy/daddy to hold you' apparently they get the association with slapping leading to being held.. and they stop..
    :)
    I'm going to give it a try with my lad as he can give a fair auld whack now and while we tell him not to hurt the message just doesn't get through. . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

cbyrd wrote: »
    I was listening to Ray D'Arcy this morning and they had an 'expert' on.. She said that at this age something that works is to stand behind the child and hold their arms down by their sides until they start to struggle or whinge, and then you say 'when you slap it means you want mammy/daddy to hold you' apparently they get the association with slapping leading to being held.. and they stop..
    I'm going to give it a try with my lad as he can give a fair auld whack now and while we tell him not to hurt the message just doesn't get through. . . ;)

must try this. thanks

Thanks Cbyrd I will give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

cbyrd wrote: »

So they'll slap you to get a hug :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

my little girl only slaps her 12 year old girl cousin her I'm convinced its alpha female thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

No, they slap & then get restrained...the whole point is it's not supposed to be a cuddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

:D eh no :pac:

you stand/kneel behind them and hold their arms at their sides, you stand/kneel behind them so they can't throw themselves backwards as kids do... and you're holding their arms at their sides, not around them..time will tell though. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Its a phase, they do it to get a reaction, be it a good or bad reaction, she knows by slapping you that you will react or respond. at 1 kids dont have many words so they use whatever means available to them to interact with you.

You can help by showing her a way to interact with you by not slapping you, used a word (one that she might pick up sooner or later) and show her something else she can do to interact with you/other people like touching gently on the arm or holding you hand.

Thanks grindelwald

Advertisement