Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstall windows for netbook (no cds)

• 19-05-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

So here's the story, got a toshiba netbook. Wiped it and put linux on it. Going to get a new laptop and giving this one away to one of the family members but i want to put back the original windows on it however it didn't come with any cds (probably because no cd drive).

The serial key is on the back so, anyone know of any legal way to get it back? Think it's out of warranty at this stage as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

If you have a toshiba cd of the same os you can make a USB boot drive

Few guides here : http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

If you don't have a cd you can download the install - that is not illegal in itself provided you use the key you had on the machine.

If you can't find a good download of the o/s I'd say give toshiba a ring - they should be able to send you an install cd which you can then put onto usb (or borrow/buy an external cd drive). They'll probably charge you for it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Normally the way manufacturers do it these days is by having a "recovery" partition which upon first boot prompts the user to create backup dvd's.

When you wiped the disk you may or may not have erased this partition too.

Do you have the model number of the netbook?

If you open the terminal in linux and type "sudo fdisk -l" it will apparently list all partitions on that disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You could take an image of another drive and then install it on the laptops one using http://clonezilla.org/.

The only thing is you'll have to change your key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

leviathon: It didn't come with a windows install cd. Downloading one IS illegal and more than likely loaded with malware or backdoors. I wouldn't trust it. I'll see if i can ring up toshiba in the mean time.

fionny: Recover partition is definitely gone

chin_grin: I don't think that would work... In any case, i don't have a windows machine to image anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

You could ask if a friend has a legit disc knocking around you could install from using your own license key. Xp discs should be a dime a dozen these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭burrentech

wolfric wrote: »
    So here's the story, got a toshiba netbook. Wiped it and put linux on it. Going to get a new laptop and giving this one away to one of the family members but i want to put back the original windows on it however it didn't come with any cds (probably because no cd drive).

The serial key is on the back so, anyone know of any legal way to get it back? Think it's out of warranty at this stage as well

If you give me a call I can help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 myrscossie

I had the same problem but with a msi wind, what i did was took the ide dvd drive out of my PC and used a ide/sata to usb converter cable like this One
    and just set the notebook to boot from dvd drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

wolfric wrote: »
    leviathon: It didn't come with a windows install cd. Downloading one IS illegal and more than likely loaded with malware or backdoors. I wouldn't trust it. I'll see if i can ring up toshiba in the mean time.

fionny: Recover partition is definitely gone

chin_grin: I don't think that would work... In any case, i don't have a windows machine to image anyway.

downloading is not illegal - using a cracked serial number to ACTIVATE it is. if you have your own serial number then it is not illegal as it is a legit copy.

The malware etc side of it is another story and a good reason not to unless using a reliable source as above (unlikely for downloading windows!!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

eoferrall wrote: »
    downloading is not illegal
    Microsoft don't have XP available for trial so downloading it IS a breach of the license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Microsoft don't have XP available for trial so downloading it IS a breach of the license

who said XP? but i disagree anyway. you've bought the product, you have the license so whats the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

eoferrall wrote: »
    who said XP? but i disagree anyway. you've bought the product, you have the license so whats the problem?
    at a guess it's XP, since it isn't a new netbook

Advertisement