Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off driveways

Options
  • 19-05-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Why do so many people allow cowboy contractors to install coloured driveways which fall apart within three months. Has anyone ever had one done which actually turned out as good as it should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Why do I get the feeling that this thread is leading up to someone posting their website/business name and that they are in the concrete driveway business? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Like Jimoc, I also get a feeling, except mine's that this threads going to disappear without trace into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

Would the OP be trying to lead us up the garden path?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Why do so many people allow cowboy contractors to install coloured driveways which fall apart within three months. Has anyone ever had one done which actually turned out as good as it should be?

I dont know OP, Why don't you tell us?! Great Subject, I ams very interested in this topic, thanking you for postings...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Home & Garden, as this isn't a Consumer Issue

dudara

• Advertisement

Would the OP be trying to lead us up the garden path?

I hope you've got concrete evidence of that.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I hope you've got concrete evidence of that.
    I'm going to have to dig around a little

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The Concrete Doctor

Of course its a consumer issue! People are being ripped off by so called expert contractors, for thousands of Euro and there is nothing they can do about it. Once these driveways are installed they can't be replaced without spending another fortune to get them dug up and done again. Ireland's climate does not suit coloured external concrete, so if you know someone thinking about getting it done, advise them to think very carefully before proceeding. I have very rarely, if ever, seen one done correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if only we knew someone who was in the business and knew what they were talking about.
    maybe this thread will flush them out.

if only we knew someone who was in the business and knew what they were talking about.
    I agree. Hope someone who knows about this kind of thing is logged on.

• Advertisement

Of course its a consumer issue! People are being ripped off by so called expert contractors, for thousands of Euro and there is nothing they can do about it. Once these driveways are installed they can't be replaced without spending another fortune to get them dug up and done again. Ireland's climate does not suit coloured external concrete, so if you know someone thinking about getting it done, advise them to think very carefully before proceeding. I have very rarely, if ever, seen one done correctly.

You shouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You shouldn't tar them all with the same brush.
    Indeed. Lets call a spade a spade and hope to keep all avenues open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

on a road to nowhere methinks....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQcnjlwtE4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ireland's climate does not suit coloured external concrete, so if you know someone thinking about getting it done, advise them to think very carefully before proceeding. I have very rarely, if ever, seen one done correctly.

:eek: WHAT, hang on a minute there are hundreds of thousands of" grey coloured" concrete drives all over the country...........are they the wrong colour of grey or what,???
    call in the the concrete doctor..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

moonshadow wrote: »
    call in the the concrete doctor..;)

I'm here....I'm here....:p
    Concrete-Doctor_medium.jpeg

*hell, this beats pulling weeds this evening...Mods, can we keep this thread going for some light relief from dandelions and daisies?*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Don't like your driveway, get your Pick.:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

[Embedded Image Removed][Embedded Image Removed][Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The Concrete Doctor

I'm not in the driveway business, but I know what I am talking about, because I know about concrete and pigments. It is quite often older people, who want to brighten up their gardens, who are conned by these chancers. So, if your elderly neighbour or friend is thinking of having work done, just advise them to be careful. Tell them to get advise from an engineer, a good architect, or even a good reputable builder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

• Advertisement
Advertisement