Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you know the rules of the road?

Options
  • 19-05-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

There is a descussion about bad drivers over on another tread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72307479).

Have a read of it, it's quite interesting how stupid some people can be on the road.

My question is 'Do you know the rules of the road?'

The question is for learners and experienced drivers alike. Do you think the driving test is adiquate?, is the theory test really hard enough?

Changes are coming into effec for learner drivers, do you think they are good enough, or maybe too much.

When your driving, is the safety of yourself, your passengers and other road users on your mind at all, or are you just thinking about whats for dinner when you get home?

It would be interesting to hear peoples views on the above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

*adequate.
    *effect.

Now that my OCD is satiated I'll give my point.

I think driving is like any task you do repeatedly, you become automatic in your actions. Everyone on the road should be thinking two steps (or lengths!) ahead of themselves just to be aware of what's going on and be able to react accordingly.

You could sum it up in one word. Safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

chin_grin wrote: »
    *adequate.
    *effect.

Now that my ADD is satiated I'll give my point.

I think driving is like any task you do repeatedly, you become automatic in your actions. Everyone on the road should be thinking two steps (or lengths!) ahead of themselves just to be aware of what's going on and be able to react accordingly.

You could sum it up in one word. Safety.

I agree 100%

As well as people who don't fully know the rules of the road, there are those who do know them, but just choose to ignore them... 'I was here first, why should I have to move!?' - that sort of stubbornness causes accidents, and I'm sure, even death on the roads.

Then you also have people who simple pull out without looking... on the other tread i mentioned above, there is a case where a guy indicated at the same time he pulled out, without looking and nearly took the front off the car in the passing lane (on a dual carriage way). This sort of action can get people killed, cause them life long disabilities and god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

Have to agree. I'm fed the F up with the sheer stupidity on the roads these days. I've reported dangerous driving to the Gardaí on 3 occasions over the last couple of years and on each occasion I was told there was nothing could be done about it and that was that. Also fed up with seeing Gardaí either at the side of the road or in traffic actually watching a driver beside them on their phones or kids not in seats and the Garda simply ignoring it. A 2 sec knock on the drivers window and a nod is generally enough for most drivers to get the hint. People are people and they simply won't give a crap unless there are consequences to their actions. Manners are generally lacking on our roads too. If each car let one other car pull out of a junction/slip road then most traffic on the roads would move quite well, JUST 1 CAR! that's all! It won't delay you or anything. People blocking yellow boxes, junctions, roundabouts and pedestrian crossings causes so much trouble on the roads too. Yellow boxes, yield lines, stop lines etc are there for a reason people! Mobile phone, jesus where to start. I'm not generalising before anyone starts but as far as texting while driving is concerned it is mostly young & middle aged women I see doing this. Whatever about speaking on the phone being dangerous, but in the name of god...TEXTING! are you mental or just suicidal? Excellent app for smart phones called Vlingo if you absolutely have to use your phone while driving. lets you call, text, satnav etc through your bluetooth. Please ladies & gents, reading the paper, shaving, changing shirts, playing with the satnav or glove box, makeup, brushing hair or painting nails are all things that you shouldn't do while driving. Kids unrestrained in a vehicle is a death sentence for them in the event of a crash....could you forgive yourself?? Cyclists! You give out about motorist but most of you are no better at road sense. Weaving in and out of traffic will get you squashed and dead and looking like a potato waffle! If a cycle lane is there, use the damn thing. Cycle clubs, your required under the road traffic act to cycle single file NOT 10 abreast blocking the whole road. Cyclists if you pull out into traffic and nearly cause a crash, have the decency to acknolwledge your error and don't just "flip off" the driver you just gave a stroke too.Manners!! Remember pissed off drivers are dangerous drivers. Drivers, cyclist are fragile, give them a wide berth and if you block a bike, nod and apologise. Manners!! Ok sorry....rant over....FOR NOW!! dundundun!!:)

Well, I think you pretty much said it there jfk75. lol

Loads of valid and good points there.

One that stood out to me, which I ended up getting out of my own car to let them know, was Garda car sitting on an off ramp near Blanchardstown shopping center, the one behind the Garda Station. 5 kids in the back of a car jumping up and down and one of them jumping from back seat to front seat. 2 Lanes of traffic and a Garda car in the right lane looking at the kids in the car in the left lane. I was 2 cars back from the Garda car. I got out, walk towards the car and the Garda in the passanger seat got out and asked me why I had left my car. I told him that you had no problem spotting me behind you leaving my car yet you could not see the kids going wild in the car beside them. He asked me what I was talking about and I pointed to the car right beside the garda car. All he did was ask the driver to strap them in when he got a chance!!! What! I told the garda (in a loud voice) that if he lets that car drive any further I would personally be contacting his super about it.

First, its against the law to carry a child without a child seat - There was no way that driver had 5 child seats in the back of the car!

Second, its against the law to carry more passengers than you license allows you.. There was 6 passengers in the car, 5 kids in the back and a woman in the front. The vehicle is designed to hold 4 passengers with seat belts.

So it's not just drivers who need to wise up, it's the guys who are 'supposed' to be enforcing the laws to.

It would only take one of those kids to know the drivers arm to put the car out of control and maybe kill someone. But neither the driver or the Garda seemed to care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I am a learner driver and yes i know the rules, but... i do think theory test is just too easy. I passed it 100% , no errors and it was in english which is not my native language. When i hear from people that its difficult i just dont understand it. Most of the questions are just logical and to learn things like stopping distances etc it took me few evenings to learn.
    - but too be honest with you, i just forgot almost all of in about 3 months after i passed, so i had to take the book again and read- just for myself and i dont think too many people would do that.
    What i think is lacking here in Ireland is a proper driving license course.
    I think i would prefere it the way like its in other UE countries.
    In Poland -you book full course, which is 30 hours driving and i am not sure how many but a week or two there are evening classes with instructor going through theory and examples of what could happen on the road. I miss that part a litle.

ps: and some time ago when i was learning for a test i asked few people at work things like : how far you can park from pedestrian crossing, or stopping distances etc - nobody knew...anything! :/ and they were all full license holders!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In Latvia, my friend had to sit some sort of psychological test to check she hadn't mad aggressive tendencies before getting a driving licence. We could do with that here.

softmee wrote: »
    What i think is lacking here in Ireland is a proper driving license course.

As far as I know, this is something that is being looked at for new learners. There is a new lerner permit that learners have to use a 'R' plate instead of a 'L' plate.

From RSA.ie

"From the 4th April 2011 all new first time learner permit holders for cars will be required to undertake mandatory essential driver training (EDT) with an approved driving instructor (ADI). The course is made up of of 12 individual one hour lessons. The learner will be able to take the lessons at any point during the learning process and can practice with an accompanying driver during the time while taking lessons. Evidence of completing the lessons will be signed off in a learner’s logbook by the Approved Driving Instructor. The logbook showing completion of the lessons may have to be presented before taking a driving test."

Link: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Your-learner-permit/what-it-is/

What I would like to know though, do people think that this is enough, too much, or just right?

spurious wrote: »
    In Latvia, my friend had to sit some sort of psychological test to check she hadn't mad aggressive tendencies before getting a driving licence. We could do with that here.

:pac:

As far as I know, this is something that is being looked at for new learners. There is a new lerner permit that learners have to use a 'R' plate instead of a 'L' plate.

From RSA.ie

"From the 4th April 2011 all new first time learner permit holders for cars will be required to undertake mandatory essential driver training (EDT) with an approved driving instructor (ADI). The course is made up of of 12 individual one hour lessons. The learner will be able to take the lessons at any point during the learning process and can practice with an accompanying driver during the time while taking lessons. Evidence of completing the lessons will be signed off in a learner’s logbook by the Approved Driving Instructor. The logbook showing completion of the lessons may have to be presented before taking a driving test."

Link: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Your-learner-permit/what-it-is/

What I would like to know though, do people think that this is enough, too much, or just right?

Somehow there is still more road accidents in Poland so... i dont know really.. ;) For me 12 is not enough and driving with friends didnt work at the beginning (i dont talk anymore with two of them :pac: )
    Maybe RSA is doing the right thing - i mean its good to belive people are not idiots and dont want to die too early.

spurious wrote: »

That would make our roads the safest in the world cause no-body would get a license LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement