Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Gift with Gift Receipt

Options
  • 19-05-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

OK so I got presents for my birthday which I already have but I have the gift receipts. I'm just wondering if the store will give me the cash for it or only give me store credit for the item? Also if they don't give the cash does anybody know if they can give a voucher for the shopping centre it's in instead? Just I don't think they're anything else in it that I want and it would only be a waste to pick up "bits and bobs" when my friends when to so much trouble to get me something I'd really like, just made the mistake of not knowing that I already had it! Anyway any advise would be helpful on this. Thanks and hopefully I put this in the right place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A gift receipt isn't a receipt for a cash refund.

It is merely proof that the item was purchased in that store and within a particular timeframe.

Besides no store has to issue a cash refund for any goods that are just an unwanted gift
    Best thing to do is have a look at the T&Cs of the store - it should explain the options you have available to you but I very much doubt a cash refund is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you're lucky, they will give you a store voucher for the value.

If unlucky, they will tell you that they have no obligation to do anything for you, so you're stuck with the gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

a gift receipt is issued by a store so that the recipient can return it and exchange it for something else - IF that is the store policy. Usually there will be a 28 day time frame.

The other reason it is issued, is incase a fault develops and you know what store to go to to have the item repaired or replaced.

You will not get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It really all depends on the T&Cs of the store in question. The only way to know for certain is to call to the store and speak to Customer Relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

IF a store is issuing Gift Receipts then you can be pretty darn sure they will accept them for returns and exchanges, refunds as has been stated is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

I work in a shop and our policy is that if you are returning something with a gift receipt you are only entitled to an exchange or the value is refunded onto a gift card. This is because the purpose of the gift receipt is to give the person proof that the item was paid for so that it can be returned if needs be.

I would assume that this is the same in other stores, as the person receiving the gifts doesn't pay for them in the first place.

So there should be no problem returning the items, you just won't get cash for them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You won't get a cash refund. You won't get shopping centre vouchers either- stores accept them, they do not issue them, they can't. They give change from them on their own gift cards/vouchers.

Advertisement