Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult to repair or replace solid plate hob?

Options
  • 19-05-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi I have a solid plate hob cooker I think it's a Belling, it's probably about 15 years old at this stage. One of the rings has stopped working so I'm thinking it's probably easier just to buy a new one rather than try to fix it. Is it difficult to attach / connect a new solid plate hob?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its not too difficult, usually the whole hob can be removed by removing screws possibly at the back and slide the hob forward, then you can unbolt the hotplate from below. But you have to be sure its the plate thats gone. It could be the simmerstat(hotplate temp control switch) or a connection problem.

This might be of help.

An electrician or appliance repair person would be recommended. Make sure the cooker isolator is off and confirm the cooker is off by trying it before the cooker wall switch is off, then after.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks Robbie, I'm not sure what the problem might be whether it's the simmerstat or not. The ring gets very slightly warm when it's on and the rest of the rings work fine. I'm hoping just buying a new one and replacing it will do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks Robbie, I'm not sure what the problem might be whether it's the simmerstat or not. The ring gets very slightly warm when it's on and the rest of the rings work fine. I'm hoping just buying a new one and replacing it will do the trick.

The simmerstat will click on and off properly if the hot plate is the problem, unike an oven thermostat as the thermostat measures the oven temp, and so if the oven element is faulty and the oven did not heat up, the stat wont click off. Where as a simerstat is just a heated bi-metal strip in which the on to off time ratio is set by how far the dial is turned up, but it has no thermal link with the hotplate.

Im not sure of your cooker has indicator lights for when the hotplate is on, if it has then that would help. If there are, and the light goes on and off as you turn the stat up and down then its likely the plate thats gone, or a connection to it. you could just turn the stat on about half way and see can you notice it clicking on and off every minute or so, you can hear it happen, might need to be patient though, if this is happening then it probably is the hotplate.

The real test though is to lift off the top of the cooker and test for voltage on the cooker when the stat is turned on with a multimeter, not a phase tester as this is only testing the live connection, (although it would show a broken neutral also). Or test the hotplate resistance with a multimeter.

The above tests are simple for an electrician anyway. You could buy a new plate and find its the stat, or vice versa.

Advertisement